• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Black Stilt was bought by Moka House and...

Doesn't the caffe in the Rialto boast a licenced bar? Or how is that working now? I heard that they were going to do something different on that end.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Doesn't the caffe in the Rialto boast a licenced bar? Or how is that working now? I heard that they were going to do something different on that end.

I never see anyone on that side.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

there will no longer be a liquor licence at the Hillside location

Hmmm, only really two good reasons you'd want to do that.

A. You want to employ service staff that are under 19.
B. You think the hassle of good inventory control \ theft reduction is not worth the profit you can make from liquor.

or I guess there is also...

C. The owner can not pass a criminal record check to obtain a license.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Did the Jubilee Black Stilt location have a liquor licence?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#25 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

It's not really my horn to toot, but the Marina Coffee House is a nice little spot right on the water in Oak Bay. Starbucks franchise, great view/location, parking is easy and it's licensed for wine and beer. Selection is decent with a couple beers on tap and more in bottles, cider, house white and red. I think the staff are happy to run upstairs and grab a different bottle from the restaurant cellar. They also have liquer available for all your coffee needs. Sadly, not for take out. ;)

Soups, sandwiches, a selection of house made pastries, the basics.

The patio is simply amazing in the warmer months with a bucket of icy beers. Undiscovered gem if you ask me. We host a number of parties on that patio in the summer and people rave.

Toot toot!

Matt.

#26 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hmmm, only really two good reasons you'd want to do that.

A. You want to employ service staff that are under 19.
B. You think the hassle of good inventory control \ theft reduction is not worth the profit you can make from liquor.

or I guess there is also...

C. The owner can not pass a criminal record check to obtain a license.

Woah! Talk about starting a rumour! Don't you think this is a bit libelous? Do you even know the person? If I were them I'd want to shoot you right about now.....
Pieta VanDyke

#27 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

If I am not mistaken, Moka House is owned (at least in part) by Bart Reed, who has more than a couple liquor licenses under his belt.

Matt.

#28 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

Oh, and Tre Fantastico in the Parkside building just received their license. I haven't been yet, but since it's a Caffe Fantastico, it's sure to be excellent.

Matt.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Woah! Talk about starting a rumour! Don't you think this is a bit libelous? Do you even know the person? If I were them I'd want to shoot you right about now.....

I'm not suggesting that any of the options I gave are the reason for dropping the liquor license. I'm just giving some reasons the owner might drop it - the most common reasons. I have no reason to suspect the new owner has a criminal record that prevents him/her obtaining a license. I threw in "C" as an afterthought.

#30 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Oh, and Tre Fantastico in the Parkside building just received their license. I haven't been yet, but since it's a Caffe Fantastico, it's sure to be excellent.

Matt.

I think Fantasico at Quadra has a tap too?

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

I fail to see the reason for coffee shops needing a liquor license. If you want to drink alcohol why not go to a lounge or a dining establishment. I enjoy going to my favourite coffee shop knowing that there will be a chair available for those who are just there for a brew. Next thing that happens is the price of coffee will go up at those establishments that serve booze.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

I fail to see the reason for coffee shops needing a liquor license. If you want to drink alcohol why not go to a lounge or a dining establishment. I enjoy going to my favourite coffee shop knowing that there will be a chair available for those who are just there for a brew. Next thing that happens is the price of coffee will go up at those establishments that serve booze.

Maybe you like coffee and your wife likes a glass of wine? What's wrong with that? Seems odd you would have to travel well beyond your local coffee shop to please both of you. Union Pacific sell very little booze mid-day, but they have if for the odd person that wants it.

#33 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Cafe Mela at the Belvedere (788 Humboldt Street) is a licensed coffee shop that offers a full range of espresso beverages (lattes, mochas, etc.) as well as alcoholic beverages. :)

#34 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

what Liquor lic. are these places using? must not be a regular food primary?
they would have to have a pretty full food menu with entress to do that.
just curious.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

what Liquor lic. are these places using? must not be a regular food primary?
they would have to have a pretty full food menu with entress to do that.
just curious.

Regular food-primary. All that is required of them is that they derive 1/2 of their sales revenue from food and non-alcoholic beverages. I'm sure they do that easily.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

^So it's not like a lucrative liquor primary license that can be moved to a more profitable location? You may be right in that the liquor sales didn't make up for not being able to hire cheaper teens as staff.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

^So it's not like a lucrative liquor primary license that can be moved to a more profitable location?

Correct, there is no cap on food-primaries, and local city councils can not oppose them. Everyone can get one if they meet basic qualifications.

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

And the restaurant would have to pay for all serving staff to take the "Serving it Right" exam.

That Middle-eastern buffet on Douglas is a Halal operation--no alcohol.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

And the restaurant would have to pay for all serving staff to take the "Serving it Right" exam.

Not quite, and probably no.

Food-primary licence (restaurants)
This type of licence is issued to restaurants or food outlets where the service of food, not liquor, is the primary focus. Licensees, managers and all those who may be left in charge need to have a SIR certificate. If you have a restaurant lounge endorsement, the SIR program must be completed by all servers, not just those working in the lounge.

http://www.servingit...m/whoneeds.html

And in today's economy, I think most establishments will expect their staff to pay for their own, or already have their SIR certificates. It can be a condition of employment.

#40 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

Does Caffe Fantastico on King's have a license? I would love to have an Irish Coffee using their always delicious drip coffee.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users