200 Douglas
Use: condo
Address: 200 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
200 Douglas is a 38 unit luxury condo situated across the street from Victoria's Beacon Hill Park.

Initiall... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Douglas on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] 200 Douglas | Condos | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Condo

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#61 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

This is about land use planning, planning that is appropriate for the site, and the overall lack of affordable rental housing in Victoria.

Generally speaking, if the city allows the demolition of well built rental property that is currently available at a reasonable rent, then they need to come up with a "no net loss" policy where the developer is required to provide low rent housing either on the site or on another site. Other municipalities have come up with ways to deal with this.

And if any of you well educated critics would like to change places with a disabled person in order to get supported housing, I'm sure they would be happy to give you the opportunity. And if you are successful at completing the 20 page application form for income assistance that these people have to cope with, you will be doing well, indeed......
Pieta VanDyke

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

Honestly, is that really an issue? If income assistance requires a 20-page application, it requires a 20-page application. If someone requires aid in filling out their application aid is most definitely available. But that is beyond the point.

Anyways, this building, if in fact it is in good shape (both physically inside/outside and seismically), does not need to be demolished and the developer would be wise to sit on it until it requires substantial renovations that make building anew a reasonable alternative. There are plenty of empty parking lots that deserve infill more than the lot in question.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

That aid is definitely not available Mike. I've helped a couple of people through that process, one with autism, one with debilitating arthritis (the kind where your hands turn into useless claws and your joints need to be replaced) Both were people you would look at and immediately know that there is no way that this person is going to be able to be functional in the work force. Nevertheless, I was totally confused by the process and the forms, and it took months to get them through all the hoops correctly, during which time both individuals had to rely on the food bank, soup kitchens and goodwill of friends and "do-gooder" strangers. I found this difficult with an MA and a fully functional brain. I can't imagine dealing with that bureaucracy if I was actually sick. I suppose it has to be this difficult, in order to convince people that it isn't the "easy way"

I actually agree with the no-net loss idea, however I think it should be rolled in with density bonusing and other incentives, so that the developers don't have to cut corners and can still make the projects viable. Replacing old rental with new rental is a good thing in general.

I also think that covenants that restrict strata councils from forbidding renting of suits should be standard in all new condos. It should not be legal to forbid someone to rent out their property.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

I suppose it has to be this difficult, in order to convince people that it isn't the "easy way"

And I would expect nothing less. Government can't show compassion to one segment of the population and rear its ugly head at another. Who are they to judge, right?

Anyways, for the most part the government takes care of those who require assistance. We often seem to forget just how lucky we are as Canadians to have the safety nets that we do. Much of the world would only dream to have a 20-page form between them and the government assistance Canadians are privy to.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

If anyone is interested in seeing a small model of this proposal, it's located at Frank D'ambrosio's office at Selkirk Waterfront (on the bottom floor of the new four-storey condo with the wood paneling).

It's a fairly large (think bulk, like those 13-storey brick buildings in Vic West near the Esq. border) building with what appeared to be a slight curvature on all(?) sides. Lots of glass, though, which is always nice. Is it out of place among the other condos along Douglas that face the park? Not really. Definitely fits the "status quo" for that area of Douglas.

#66 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

This proposal will be presented to the Fairfield CA in a few weeks. The architect is Charles Kierultf of dH+K.

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

Do you mean the JBNA? As Fairfield is about half a K from here.

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

Oops, my mistake.

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Victoria News

James Bay hosting AGM

The James Bay Neighbourhood Association will hold its annual general meeting tonight (April 9) at 6:30 p.m. at New Horizons, 234 Menzies St.

Elections will be held for executive positions.

Following the AGM, the association will hold its regular monthly meeting for April. On the agenda ia a discussion of zoning variances for a property at 200 Douglas St., a grant submission for an air traffic noise study and other committee reports.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#70 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

anyone who takes a picture of the model and posts it here will get a gold star

#71 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

Did anyone go to this meeting? Mrs B?

#72 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Mrs B?

Moi? No, madame was indisposed... Actually I forgot about this, been really busy with work-related matters...

Anyone else go?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#73 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

JBNA has posted the minutes for the April meeting on their website (jbna.org, right hand side).

Seems the developer changed architects, and lowered the bldg to 7 storeys, but still requires variances.

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

The proposal was tabled this morning in order to gather more info on including some sort of below market housing on the ground floor.

Because the existing zoning calls for no residential on the ground floor (a relic of the Corbusier era of tower design) the planned ground floor suites would count as an extra floor. The JBNA would like these suites made affordable in return. Council seemed to feel like it was a fair trade. Councillor Madoff felt the design of the building was "dull".

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

If they could find a way to insert some affordable townhouses on the ground floor I'd be rooting for this one in a big way. Assuming, of course, that the design is good.

...the planned ground floor suites would count as an extra floor. The JBNA would like these suites made affordable in return. Council seemed to feel like it was a fair trade.

A "fair trade" for what? So now developers who want to design a decent ground floor have to pay for the privilege? As you describe it, it sounds completely nuts.

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Yes, extra residences over and above what the zoning allows. But as was pointed out at the meeting, the zoning was written in an era where giant lobbies surrounded by reflecting pools were considered good design. One Councillor said (looking at the Mayor), "You mean architects have fads?!" and the reply (looking at Councillor Young) was, "And economists have fads too?!".

#77 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

Proposal to raze apartments worsens rental crunch: council
City's record-low vacancy rate sparks calls to increase affordable housing
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, June 21, 2008

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

Developer Dennis Nyren said the building is in poor shape and has a "terrible carbon footprint," with its inefficient oil-burning furnace and single-paned windows.

I like the use of the "environmental footprint" card played this time on the "other foot(print)".

#79 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

This is still working its way through City Hall.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Renderings of the 12-storey design can be viewed here.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users