Photo

Chinese grocery store

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 paul

paul
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

Anyone knows that some chinese grocery stores in Victoria? and where is them located? thanks

#2 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Paul. Are you currently living in Victoria, or do you plan to move here?

You can find plenty of Chinese groceries in Chinatown, and Fairway Market grocery stores have an extensive selection of Chinese grocery products.

By the way, I've moved this topic to Food and Dining/General where you can continue the discussion

#3 paul

paul
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Zoomer. We live in Maple Ridge near Vancouver now and we are considering move to Victoria. My wife is an artist and she wants to teach chinese painting there. We are wondering if there are enough people who want to learn and thus we can have some income from that. To buy chinese food everyday is important to us so we are happy to know there are stores for us.

#4 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:20 AM

Hmm...Chinese painting, well that just might work? At least you'll have less competition than you would on the lower mainland. Sounds pretty cool, keep us updated and good luck to you and your family!

here's a picture of Chinatown in Victoria to reassure you, (the oldest Chinatown in Canada)

and the link to Fairway Markets with many location throughout Victoria

http://www.fairwaymarkets.com/

The 8 store chain that is Fairway Markets today is steeped in tradition. Don Yuen, founder and president of the company, is one of generations of Yuens who have earned their livelihood in the grocery trade, first in China and now in Canada. As if destined to continue the family tradition established by his grandfather and father in China. Yuen has, over the last 39 years, taken the best of what he has learned from experience and observation and expanded on it, developing his own chain of markets in southern Vancouver Island.

Our stores cater to the value-conscious shoppers from all income levels. "We have always offered value, variety and selection to our customers."

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

Re. Fairway: The latest Fairway Market in Quadra Village has a really COMPREHENSIVE & ABUNDANT selection in fresh, frozen, and packaged Chinese/ Asian foods.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 paul

paul
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

I found that housing is cheap in Sooke. What do you think about living in that area? Safety? Envoironment? neighborhood? Trafic to downtown? Thanks

#7 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Sooke is pretty far away, it's quite a commute (for Victoria anyways). Depending on traffic it's about 40 minutes, sometimes longer. Anywhere in Victoria is safe, I don't think there are "bad" neighbourhoods. There isn't much out in Sooke right now as far as shops and services, (it's a small suburb), but within a reasonable driving distance of the big box stores in the Western Communities.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

I found that housing is cheap in Sooke. What do you think about living in that area? Safety? Envoironment? neighborhood? Trafic to downtown? Thanks

I guess compared to Maple Ridge to Vancouver, Sooke to Victoria is no big deal. Beautiful place, esp. by the water. Safety? No problem anywhere in Victoria, as previous post indicates.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

Sooke would be very nice if you like to be out of town a bit and it is absolutely gorgeous - lots of trees and beautiful beaches. Chinatown is right downtown, and there are lots of residential neighbourhoods around downtown that are nice too, but probably more expensive than Sooke. You don't really need to worry about safety, there is nothing like the bad parts of Vancouver here.
Hopefully your family will have a chance to come and visit this summer and drive around taking a look at the different areas! Let us know how it goes!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 yadana

yadana
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

As a food lover, my hubby and I shopped groceries at Stores in China Town and Fairway Market.
In China Town, I'd found out that some of the groceries are selling "Expired" products. (sorry if usage is wrong, I am not good at Englishhttp://vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
:(). What I mean is, they already expired in 2006, 2007, etc., but still on shelf. Some has no expire date at all. I've to look carefully the expire date on bottles, packages, ready made mix packages.
Though I looked carefully, sometimes I'd noticed the expire date only when I'd got home.
That's why please check carefully the Expire Date when you shop Groceries in China Town.
Just advice no offence.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

^There's no excuse for expired foods. People could get sick.
I'll have to check this out myself.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

A friend of mine was the unlucky buyer of some expired real whipped cream in a can. He bought it on Saturday (March 29); it had expired on December 27. I won't name the store, but apparently they have 7 other locations in their chain. Hard to believe no checks their dairy products for over 3 months.

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

The long-time corner store at Shelbourne and Kings (several kilometres from Broadmead) is now a (you guessed it) Broadmead Flowers.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#14 vic_bc_web_design

vic_bc_web_design
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

As a food lover, my hubby and I shopped groceries at Stores in China Town and Fairway Market.
In China Town, I'd found out that some of the groceries are selling "Expired" products. (sorry if usage is wrong, I am not good at Englishhttp://vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
:(). What I mean is, they already expired in 2006, 2007, etc., but still on shelf. Some has no expire date at all. I've to look carefully the expire date on bottles, packages, ready made mix packages.
Though I looked carefully, sometimes I'd noticed the expire date only when I'd got home.
That's why please check carefully the Expire Date when you shop Groceries in China Town.
Just advice no offence.

Its not bad when its expired like a couple weeks and it is discounted, but 2006? That makes you wonder how clean and organized the whole shop is...

#15 endayliner

endayliner
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Sooke is a good place to live, I lived in Sooke for 11 years before moving to Burnaby(because railroad jobs are scarce on the island). As mentioned before though, it can be a long commute depending who you get stuck behind on Sooke Road. For the most part it's one lane all the way to Sooke, if you get stuck behind someone who is doing 20 or so km below the speed limit, it can take a while to get anywhere. I remember one time being stuck behind someone that was driving so slow, it took me an hour to get into Langford. One road in and out of town, and if it gets shut down, you are out of luck. Don't worry though, the road is rarely closed, I lived there for 11 years and can count on one hand the amount of times the road was closed. Sooke has decent transit service that connects to downtown Victoria that, when I was living there ran once an hour, and every 2 hrs on the weekends.

BTW, It's too bad there are no T&T Supermarkets in Victoria, they've got a good selection.
Tyler
CN Hogger and displaced Victorian.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

Niagara Grocery is up for sale.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:31 PM

Perhaps they could merge with Don's Food Market just a block away.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

The Little Gem Grocery! Annual gross sales more than $935,000. The name says it all. Well respected, established, friendly, service-oriented, neighbourhood grocery store. Located in James Bay. Over 30 years in business. Do not approach staff.

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8W2H5

#19 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

The son of the owners passed away from a stroke a couple years back...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:41 AM

Lee was one of two sons born to Yut Chor and Chung Mee Lee, who ran several grocery stores in Victoria for about 50 years, including Wall’s Food Market, at the corner of Fernwood and Bay Streets, from 1961 to 1989.

His brother, Wyman, who is 11 months his senior, said working 12 hours a day, seven days a week to help their parents instilled a work ethic that stayed with them their whole lives.

https://www.timescol...ears-1.24365871

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 October 2021 - 05:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users