Photo

Belleville Terminal Concept | Proposed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#181 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

Why should it be in suspended animation until Judgment Day when all the pieces fall into place to "redevelop the entire legislative precinct"?

If you work on it piece-by-piece then you run the risk of creating a diverse and colourful multi-use district that would seem as if it had arisen organically from the city that surrounds it. Once that happens, there's really no way to transform the area back into the overplanned "designed-by-committee" abomination that it should have been.

#182 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

Fix the frickin' terminal! Leave the ledge for the province to look after, its no business of Fortin. I guess the strategy is to define fixing the terminal as large as possible thus ensuring nothing ever gets done. meetingsconsultationsstudiesproposalsmeetingsflipchartsgraphscoffeebreaksproposalsnoteswordsnamesnumberswordsnamesnumbersdateschartscoefficientsopportunitycostsmeetingsconsultations.....:(

#183 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

If you work on it piece-by-piece then you run the risk of creating a diverse and colourful multi-use district that would seem as if it had arisen organically from the city that surrounds it. Once that happens, there's really no way to transform the area back into the overplanned "designed-by-committee" abomination that it should have been.

Yes, I agree. Another Songhees is the only logical way to proceed.

#184 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

Fix the frickin' terminal! Leave the ledge for the province to look after, its no business of Fortin.

I believe the City must be involved because the success of redevelopment of the terminal benefits from a swap of City and Provincial land (Quadra Park, across the street).

There can be a "master plan" of sorts for the the underdeveloped land in the area but it should be limited to broad goals like population density, environmental sustainability etc.

This time around, the Coho needs to be at the table with an acknowlegement that the ship is located where it should be.

#185 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

now this is a cool idea:

CPR building could live again as ferry terminal
Harbour Authority's vision starts with slate of shops and offices

By Carla Wilson, timescolonist.com October 28, 2011

The landmark CPR Steamship Terminal building would become a ferry terminal again under a grand plan rolled out Friday by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority.

http://www.timescolo...5706/story.html

#186 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

^I like that plan. It's logical and is the most honest use for the building which was built as a ferry terminal after all.

I really can't see how a McNeil's market idea would make enough money to cover expenses. You need to move a hell of a lot of carrots and fudge to turn a profit on some of BC's most expensive real estate, come on. What the hell are tourists going to do with vegetables? Take them back to their hotel and call room service for a wok and a hot plate? They can't take them across the border. Ah, but you're saying--it would be more than vegetables, there would be souvenirs, gifts and food kiosks. Oh, then just like the one at the Tswawassen ferry terminal except more expensive.

And don't get me started on Wright's lame-o Expo 86/BC Experience sloppy seconds.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#187 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

The terminal idea is probably the only one that will work.

#188 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

^ I like the Maritime Museum concept.

#189 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

^I think the Maritime Museum would be better suited elsewhere on the harbour eg: the foot of Fort St.--in a purpose-built structure. It should be glassy, welcoming and modern with a seamless transition to the waters of the harbour.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#190 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Maybe in this thing?

If the Maritime Museum vacates Bastion Square, I worry that nothing would ever replace it.

#191 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

If the Maritime Museum vacates Bastion Square, I worry that nothing would ever replace it.

I think the old courthouse (current Maritime Museum) would be the perfect location for the Victoria Children's Museum. Bastion Square with the giant flowers sculpture would be a great destination for kids and families and the antique elevator and old court room is already a hit with kids.

#192 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

^ Exactly what I was thinking. Or could it be the long awaited downtown Art Gallery?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#193 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

The Art Gallery really should be a new modern space. That way, it's more likely to be open with high ceilings. Old Victorian buildings have very little wall space and the design just takes away from the art.

#194 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

The Art Gallery really should be a new modern space...

I tend to agree. Not that it will ever happen but I'd love to see a d/t art gallery location as part of a re-build of Centennial Square that includes a purpose-built central library as well. I suspect the wait for such dreams will be very long.

As for the Belleville Terminal, I hope the old wax museum gets incorporated into a new Coho/Clipper terminal design.

#195 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

So the Harbour Authority has been chosen as the preferred tenant for the CPR Terminal building.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#196 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

Pub/bar with patio, currency exchange, performance place all included in sub-leases. July 2012 opening.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Does this include the future possibility of using the CPR facility as a ferry terminal?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#198 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Does this include the future possibility of using the CPR facility as a ferry terminal?

Yes, that's the main plan.

http://www.bcpcc.com/news.php

While re-purposing the CPR Steamship Terminal is a stand-alone proposal that is not
conditional on subsequent phases, the GVHA hopes to work towards a larger vision
in the future that would incorporate a common use ferry terminal along with civic use
facilities and amenities.

http://www.bcpcc.com...r_GVHA_plan.pdf

#199 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Brilliant! A right choice for Victoria. This will make a grand terminal entrance to and exit from Victoria, when they finally get a Belleville terminal together.

#200 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

& pub/bar with patio, so matt mcneil can still get in there...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users