Photo

Belleville Terminal Concept | Proposed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
252 replies to this topic

#101 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Where is Francis Rattenbury when you need him? Ratz would (and did) have had a grand and brazen plan for the inner harbour.

#102 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

The sad and strange thing is that is Francis Rattenbury were alive today and proposing projects on the scale that he used to he would be run out of town by an angry horde.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

I wonder if drawings of Rattenbury's grand scheme might still exist somewhere?

#104 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

The last thing Victoria requires is another waterfront concrete structure. We are taking away what makes the harbour so special.

An absence of big buildings along the harbour waterfront is what makes Victoria so special?

#105 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

I wonder if drawings of Rattenbury's grand scheme might still exist somewhere?

His sketch originally appeared in the May 23, 1903 Daily Colonist and it is pictured in the photo section of Terry Reksten's book "Rattenbury" as well as in the tougher to find "The Crystal Gardens: West Coast Pleasure Palace". I thought I found it online once before but I can't locate it now. If I do I'll post a link. In the meantime, here is the caption from the Crystal Gardens book:

Rattenbury's Inner Harbour scheme as seen in the Colonist, May 23, 1903. From the left: The Dominion Post Office (then existing); a public library (proposed); an Anglican Cathedral on Church Hill (proposed); the Empress Hotel (proposed and built in 1908); an Anglican Theological College (probably, and never built) and of course, Rattenbury's recently completed Legislative Buildings

FYI, the Public Library was proposed where the Belmont Building now stands and the Anglican Theological College where the Royal BC Museum is situated.

#106 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

The last thing Victoria requires is another waterfront concrete structure. We are taking away what makes the harbour so special.

I"m trying to think of what waterfront concrete structure exists already that this would be another of...

#107 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Well, there's the 1980s Empress addition and the Regent Hotel. But we don't build like that anymore so it's a bit like saying we don't need any more Ford Model T's.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#108 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

So I took Aastra's idea and tried to work it in. More discovery. I am having way too much fun so I will eventually detail this model. The three buildings that have replaced the large hotel are one office building (taller one at the back), One museum / cultural place. Narrow building along side. And one boutique hotel (brick one in front).

I also added a loading area for two Clipper boats.

It has a whole new look!

#109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

I've never had much of a problem with the Regent Hotel. It can look rather pretty at times:

pic from http://www.victoriar...l.ivictoria.com

#110 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

I think miniature city blocks with implied continuation of the street grid would be a good way to go on this site. And instead of just another dead open space, how about a really large and ornate terraced fountain pool sort of thing? Instead of creating a void, create a photo op! A must-see attraction.

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

Just as long as we don't get Centennial Square 2.

#112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

If you ask me, that's what this panel has come up with. Their Belleville public space will have all the same problems as Centennial Square, only more so.

And yet another enormous square is planned for Dockside Green!

Public space has to feel intimate and there has to be a reason to linger within it. Otherwise, it's just more useless public space.

#113 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

I like the city block idea, they could rid themselves of Under Sea Gardens and move the Coho operations forward like in this picture

Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#114 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

Look at the size of that massive CPR dock. I asked the task force if the Belleville Terminal could be extended into the harbour but I was told it would require extensive dredging. Yet the harbour has already been blasted and dredged and the photograph above proves large ships can dock there.

#115 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

Sounds like a classic case of "what's old is impossible again."

#116 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

Interesting photo of the Arthur Erickson plan for Victoria Harbour from the 1974 Central Area Plan for Victoria.

Note the pedestrian bridge across the harbour.

It has a whole new look!

#117 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

I'm more interested in the curved towers right on the water...

#118 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

Yeah that may be part of the Reid plan. It kind of reminds me of Toronto City hall.

It has a whole new look!

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

VERY Toronto City Hall

#120 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

Here are a couple of great archival photos showing the area in question, the first from 1909 and the second from 1923:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users