[Downtown Victoria] The Cherry Bank | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Cherry Bank's wood beams are painted to look like the treated and dyed "west coast style" beams we see at the airport and several new projects in town.

Some of them are already chipping away due to the fact that they're probably not meant to be exposed like they are or they were damaged during installation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#143 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Somewhat redundant posting these as Lover Fighter's are a few posts up, but anyway:

And a rare glimpse of the backside of this puppy:

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the photos!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

Boring, it looks like a medical office building. But whatever.

#146 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Boring, it looks like a medical office building. But whatever.

Yes, because we all know that rat trap of a derelict building that stood there before was an architectural gem.

#147 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

I'm totally neutral on this building, as the kids would say, "meh". I'm slightly offended by it's boringness if anything. I don't care what it replaced, "well it's better than what was there..." isn't exactly high praise. More density is good, but that's about all we got out of this.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#148 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

I think it's a decent looking pile. Seriously, what were you expecting? A Frank Gehry titanium blob? What would make you happy?

Thanks for the photos, Gum.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:11 PM

I think it's a decent looking pile. Seriously, what were you expecting? A Frank Gehry titanium blob? What would make you happy?

Thanks for the photos, Gum.

I just said it was boring. I would never suggest that someone doesn't have the right to build it in any way they want. I wasn't really expecting anything, and I don't remember how that side of the lot(s) looked before.

#150 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

I just said it was boring. I would never suggest that someone doesn't have the right to build it in any way they want. I wasn't really expecting anything, and I don't remember how that side of the lot(s) looked before.

A decrepit, falling down stone/concrete retaining wall that supported the parking for Cherry Bank Hotel and Bowman's Rib House (the only tragedy out of the mix was Victoria losing one of the best rib houses I have been too.)

#151 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Winter 1952

from glenalan54's photostream http://www.flickr.co...stcoasthistory/

#152 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

How did they know how gay the 90's would be???
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#153 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:13 AM

A decrepit, falling down stone/concrete retaining wall that supported the parking for Cherry Bank Hotel and Bowman's Rib House (the only tragedy out of the mix was Victoria losing one of the best rib houses I have been too.)

The "Cherry Bank" experience was truely unique. Second only to the "Net Loft" I had my first "Harvey Wallbanger" at the Bank. The lounge was a famous Friday after work watering hole.............aaahhh the old days.

#154 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

...the only tragedy out of the mix was Victoria losing one of the best rib houses I have been too.

You were a rib house?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users