BUILT
Azzurro
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1950 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Azzurro is a seven storey, mixed-use affordable rental and commercial building developed by the Greater Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Azzurro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Azzurro | Rentals, commercial | 7-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

1950 Blanshard is a 7-storey mixed-use rental (65 units) and commercial building. Five floors of residential units will be built above two floors of commercial space.

Developer's website: http://gvrds.org/node/6

victoria-1950blanshardst-01.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

See now that is how (and where) you design a box.   :) It would replace this:

Untitled.jpg

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

In 04/05 there was a plan afoot to build a residential tower across from the arena. At the time we didn't know where exactly the proposal was to be located but we started hearing it was planned for somewhere on Blanshard. I wonder if this is finally it after all these years, albeit much shorter than the initial concept from a decade ago?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

The developer, Greater Victoria Rental Development Society, formed in 2009

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Planters and little flights of stairs along the sidewalk there... So would the south face be a blank wall? It looks like they're building right to the property line, yes?

#6 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

So right on the corner across from the Memorial Arena where that hot tub place used to be I guess.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Knappett is GC if anyone cares and I hear a start date of September.  The owner is the same as the two buildings recently constructed on Gorge Rd, sorry I don't know the address

• Mike K. likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

35 Gorge et al.

Who funds this organization?

Know it all.

#9 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

35 Gorge et al.

Who funds this organization?

yes, thats it.  They are essentially a non profit that uses the rents to pay the mortgage.  I met one of their higher ups years ago and they told me how it works, but I have forgotten.  I think John Knappett might provide some bridge financing to get them started, but I could be wrong

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Gotcha, thanks. They've been moving at quite clip. This is by far their most ambitious project and if all goes well I can see these guys coming up with even larger buildings in the coming years.

Know it all.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

I had a look at the site this morning. I was initially concerned about the sound hound lot was too small now for redevelopment of size on its own but that is actually almost equal in size to this. I am hopeful this actually goes ahead. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

I am concerned about the possibility of some Kenny Rogers Chicken outcome for the residents however with the arena sign across the street. 

http://youtu.be/aMjgHBnpeV0

• Baro likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

This project has gone back to the architects for improvements. The City wants something eye-catching considering so many people will be seeing it when clustered around the arena during events.

Thumbs up for that.

Know it all.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

This project has gone back to the architects for improvements. The City wants something eye-catching considering so many people will be seeing it when clustered around the arena during events...

Even in these rough sketches it's more eye catching than the SOFMC. Too bad the City wasn't more insistent that behemoth have a decent aesthetic. I feel bad for the eventual residents of this project who will have to stare at the craptorium that is the arena.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hmmm. Can you show us another budget-priced minor league arena that has a nicer exterior? The arena in Grand Rapids is great but it's really in the next tier up re: size/cost. So is Everett's arena, and even though it has a more impressive main entrance I'd say Victoria's building looks better all around. The exterior of Victoria's building is much more attractive than comparable buildings in Kelowna, London, St. John's, Toledo, not to mention NHL arenas in Vancouver, Montreal, etc. We can't include Quebec City's new arena in the discussion because the price tag is ridiculous. Ditto for the Markham, ON plan. Sprint Center in Kansas City is beautiful, but again, big $$$$$. Same thing for Louisville's building, which I like a lot because it looks so different from each side. But I don't know if Victorians would have embraced an unconventional design like that. As an aside, remember how Victorians fretted nearly to death about the shame & confusion re: having a supermarket's name on their building? Imagine the chaos that would have ensued if KFC/Yum had been the sponsor.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Adding to that, remember when people wondered why the naming rights went to a grocer with only two locations? Now Save-Ons has the second highest presence after Thrifty's. Weird how things come together.

Know it all.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

I was thinking about that the other day. They (the sponsor, not the city) made out like bandits with that sponsorship deal.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

I forgot about Winnipeg's arena. It was a good deal considering the seating capacity and the main façade looks slick, although they sacrificed esthetics on the other sides. But still a lot more expensive than Victoria's arena.

Mike, in the year 2035 when you're retired and sitting around counting the millions that you made from VV, maybe think about donating $100 million to the city's next arena.

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

SOFMC looks better than decent. I think it looks downright good.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,165 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

Mike, in the year 2035 when you're retired and sitting around counting the millions that you made from VV, maybe think about donating $100 million to the city's next arena.

Only if the region will have amalgamated by then.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users