BUILT
Azzurro
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1950 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Azzurro is a seven storey, mixed-use affordable rental and commercial building developed by the Greater Victor... (view full profile)
Learn more about Azzurro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Azzurro | Rentals, commercial | 7-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

In this article, it's noted that Geoff Young voted against this proposal as he thought they could use this opportunity to bring the project up to front onto Blanshard St.

http://www.timescolo...aring-1.1213335

I personally think Blanshard St. is great in its current state for moving traffic quickly in and out of town.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

In this article, it's noted that Geoff Young voted against this proposal as he thought they could use this opportunity to bring the project up to front onto Blanshard St.

I personally think Blanshard St. is great in its current state for moving traffic quickly in and out of town.

Blanchard is pretty crappy during rush hour for getting out. Getting in is rarely an issue.

Edited by lanforod, 20 July 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

A proposal to build 65 units of affordable and moderately priced rental apartments across Blanshard Street from Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre will go to public hearing.

The Greater Victoria Rental Development Society wants to build a seven-storey building, to be called the Azzurro, at 1950 Blanshard St., near Discovery Street, that would provide three studio suites and 62 one-bedroom units.

they need something next door, and then something in the crater on caledonia :construction:

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 July 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

....then something in the crater on Caledonia :construction:

Someone needs to revise a workable version of the Radius proposal. Townline's ideas for this site are TERRIBLY underwhelming. 

#25 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Speaking of Townline I hear rumors there are financial problems again

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Speaking of Townline I hear rumors there are financial problems again

Not shocking.

Do you mean Townline in general or just in Victoria?

Townline can't seem to do anything right as far as Victoria goes.

Their high-end approach for the Hudson was a disaster. The rental building (Hudson Mews) looks good, but also looks devoid of residents at this point.

While others have seemingly figured out the sensitive Victoria market, Townline just keeps on blowing it.

Edited by jonny, 21 July 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#27 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

An updated design, from - http://gvrds.org/node/6

victoria-1950blanshardst-02.jpg

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Looks good!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I like it. Of course a few stories higher would be nice but then, alas, this is Victoria after all. Nevertheless an encouraging rendering. Wonder how close the final product will resemble the illustration?

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Are those Christmas trees along the ground floor supposed to be blocking the windows or are they in between the windows? Either way, they seem like an unnecessary addition to the rendering.

Seriously though, I'm not keen on residential units that don't have balconies. But I won't be living there so maybe I shouldn't care.

Also, if this building comes right to the property line on its south side then whatever eventually gets built beside it will surely do the same, and we'll have quite a wall spanning that block.

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Interesting design, maybe a few more projects in that area could help bring it into a more urban form.  Not a great place to be a pedestrian at the moment, but also not the worst.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

I really like these designs. I hope the blue shows up in the final design. I am more than happy with 7 stories in this part of town.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

This sure makes Townline's 8-storey concept for the adjacent site rather meek and timid. Ok, maybe forego the 13-storey office component and the 17-storey residential tower, but why not building something around 15-floors facing Blanshard and 12-15 floors facing Douglas? The massive slope gives height variability without having to increase or decrease building heights.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

...why not building something around 15-floors facing Blanshard and 12-15 floors facing Douglas? The massive slope gives height variability without having to increase or decrease building heights.

Because Townline doesn't really seem to know what they are doing???

• jonny likes this

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

As mentioned by Nparker in another thread, this project is now approved.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

It looks like  the building will be  made from Shipping Containers

#37 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

They should still build underground parking at the downtown one and rent it at market value....

Why? We don't need more market rental right now, we need more non-market rental to relieve pressure from the shelters.

• Nparker likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Parking shelters?

Know it all.

#39 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

I meant renting the apartments for below market, renting the parking for market to subsidize. The statement that they don't need to build parking because the dwellers can't afford cars is irrelevant. it's about contributing to the overall infrastructure of downtown...

Edited by dasmo, 25 October 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#40 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

I meant renting the apartments for below market, renting the parking for market to subsidize. The statement that they don't need to build parking because the dwellers can't afford cars is irrelevant. it's about contributing to the overall infrastructure of downtown...

Oh, separating out the parking and renting it out. Not sure there is actually a huge demand in this part of town and it takes a long time to recoup the $50k per spot cost.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users