[Downtown] Capital Six Theatre | Built

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

Yes, they'll be leasing the space out to tenants.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yes, they'll be leasing the space out to tenants.

Any hints as to who the tenants may be?

#63 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

Hopefully they'll spruce the outside up a bit first

#64 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

I'd like to see this one re-purposed. Open up the Blanshard facade bays to lighten the mass. Balcony cafes on the 2nd level. Turn the whole thing into an entertainment complex, each cinema a different hall/club/venue whatever, similar to entertainment complexes in Asia.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

I have no info about the temants, Nparker.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

I have no info about the tenants, Nparker.

Thanks Mike.

#67 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Couldn't find the actual Theatre thread, but something is going on inside. Saw a drafting table with plans on it there today.

I understand that the Jawls are renting out some of the space as a site office for the build next door.

#68 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

I understand that the Jawls are renting out some of the space as a site office for the build next door.

'The building next door isn't a Jawl building - it is a Chard building.

#69 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

Doesn't mean that Jawl won't rent to Chard.  Hmmm.. potential future condo names  "The Jawl"  "The Chard"- Victoria's version of London's Shard.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

Of course they would, they would rent it to anyone who was willing to pay.

Know it all.

#71 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:10 AM

The former home of Capitol 6 Cinemas is being reincarnated as a new downtown movie theatre by the Victoria-raised son of the late, legendary local projectionist Harry Golin.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to come back to my hometown,” said Andrew Golin, who confirmed Tuesday that movies will soon be showing again at the theatre, closed by Empire Company Ltd. in October 2013.

Details about the revived movie theatre, at Yates and Blanshard streets, are being kept under wraps.

“What I can say is that we’re in the early stages of remodelling the theatre, and we hope to reopen in August,” said Golin, who spoke in the theatre’s second-storey office as crews removed hundreds of timeworn theatre seats.

“We’re preparing the theatre for new flooring, new theatre seats and new carpeting,” Golin said.

Jawl Properties Ltd. has purchased the two-storey, 48,087-square-foot building, and Golin is leasing the theatre portion.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.EMOKmxvL.dpuf

• Nparker likes this

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

I predict a life expectancy of less than one year as a theatre if it does not show first run movies.
  • Fairbanks likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

It looks as though the theatre chain he has in the states does first run movies.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#74 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

I agree with Hockeyfan.  A year from now we'll be where we are now.  Looking for a new buyer.

#75 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

Jawls will still own it, I assume they don't have any imminent plans right now, so leasing it out to cover some of the costs for the next 3-5 years seems reasonable. I can't see either side willing to agree to a longer term lease, although replacing those theatre seats can't be cheap.

#76 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

There is a bin outside and I saw some guys disposing of old theatre chairs yesterday.

#77 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

What'd be nice: adult only theatre allowing alcohol and food service at your seat... those are becoming popular.

• Fairbanks, tedward and jonny like this

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

The list of theatre chains in Canada is super small.

https://en.wikipedia...hains_in_Canada

Cineplex really dominates.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:34 AM

What'd be nice: adult only theatre allowing alcohol and food service at your seat... those are becoming popular.

I thought the Internet killed that industry?

I guess you learn something new every day  :cheers:

Know it all.

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:00 AM

I love going to the movies. Did you guys look up the theatres in the states they look nice and have first run movies. Why so negative from the start?

• jeffifah and shoeflack like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users