BUILT
1400 Quadra Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1400-1412 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 14
1400-1412 Quadra Street is a 14-storey purpose-built rental complex on Quadra Street at Johnson Street in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1400 Quadra Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1400 Quadra Street | Rentals, retail | 14-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#201 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

So they want to go right back around to the original version, but with a set back or otherwise distinguished top level? I think the main reason why I liked the original version and the main reason why I didn't like the most recent version is because the original wasn't self-conscious and didn't seem to have any baggage. I can't see any good reason why Harris Green developments should have baggage or why they should be self-conscious. They should just be good: half-decently interesting and not a carbon copy of something else on the next block over. And definitely not faux. The podium on the most recent version was straying into faux territory, methinks.

An anonymous internet blowhard might whip up something quick and dirty like this:

1400_Quadra_Hypothetical.png

Edited by aastra, 09 October 2018 - 03:51 PM.

• Baro and Nparker like this

#202 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

But...but...but...look how much HIGHER the top of the building is relative to the telephone poles!!

giphy.gif

• Nparker likes this

#203 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:40 AM

I still don't get the obsession with height, it's just a number.  Put 80% of your nit-picking and demands into the ground floor,  10% into the floor above that,  5% into the floor above that, and so on and so on with exponentially less importance.  

A 10 story building with a crappy ground floor is better than a 11 story building with a fantastic ground floor to so many people.  I mean do you really notice? I'd love to do a sort of "blind taste test" with anti-height types.  Blindfold them at the base of a building and give them 5 seconds to get an impression of the building then tell you the number of floors and if it's a good building or not.  Again, 80% of their impression will be from the ground floor and how well it interacts with the street.  They'll be able to tell you maybe if it was a mid-rise or a high-rise.  They could tell you the buildng is under 8 stories, but they won't be able to tell you if it's 12 or 14,  or 20 or 25.

Stop worrying about numbers like FSR and floor count,  start worrying much more about getting the ground floor stunning and a delight to walk past.  If "letting" a developer add a few more floors means the flat faux brick on the ground floor can afford to be replaced with real stone and sculptural details, do it, get the best design and materials possible.

• Nparker, threePs, DougG and 2 others like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

Well said Baro.

#205 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

A 10 story building with a crappy ground floor is better than a 11 story building with a fantastic ground floor to so many people.  

The Wave being the perfect example. Not super tall but the ground floor sucks.

• Baro, DougG and Brantastic like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#206 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

I still don't get the obsession with height, it's just a number.  Put 80% of your nit-picking and demands into the ground floor,  10% into the floor above that,  5% into the floor above that, and so on and so on with exponentially less importance.  

A 10 story building with a crappy ground floor is better than a 11 story building with a fantastic ground floor to so many people.  I mean do you really notice? I'd love to do a sort of "blind taste test" with anti-height types.  Blindfold them at the base of a building and give them 5 seconds to get an impression of the building then tell you the number of floors and if it's a good building or not.  Again, 80% of their impression will be from the ground floor and how well it interacts with the street.  They'll be able to tell you maybe if it was a mid-rise or a high-rise.  They could tell you the buildng is under 8 stories, but they won't be able to tell you if it's 12 or 14,  or 20 or 25.

Stop worrying about numbers like FSR and floor count,  start worrying much more about getting the ground floor stunning and a delight to walk past.  If "letting" a developer add a few more floors means the flat faux brick on the ground floor can afford to be replaced with real stone and sculptural details, do it, get the best design and materials possible.

Can you imagine the nightmare of regulations if height limits were replaced with guidelines like "a stunning ground floor"  and "a delight to walk past"?

Can you imagine the discussions at council meetings and community sessions?  

I think developers would commit suicide.   There should be fewer restrictive rules for sure, but the rules that do exist should be less subjective, not more.  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 10 October 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#207 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

Photos from Friday, Nov 23rd

Attached Images

• DSCF0434.JPG
  • DSCF0440.JPG

• Nparker and Brantastic like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#208 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

November 30th.

The project is yet to receive final municipal approvals, but site work and remediation are well underway.

1400-Quadra-Street-November-30-2018.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#209 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

^so are they going to complete the entire excavation or is it just remediation?

#210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

I think they'll go forward with the entire excavation just like Townline did over at Hudson Place One.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#211 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

This is going to Council on Thursday January 17.

#212 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Will they demand that rents be kept at $500/month or less?

#213 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

Will they demand that rents be kept at $500/month or less?

Unless they have a dramatic change of heart. Council carried the existing Housing Agreement Bylaw (rentals only in perpetuity, no short term rentals) unanimously, with Isitt moving and Loveday seconding.

Only one piece of written correspondence received, and it's in support of the development. I think this will sail through.

#214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:29 PM

...Only one piece of written correspondence received, and it's in support of the development. I think this will sail through.

It should, but that's why I am nervous. I have zero faith in the current council to do the right thing.

#215 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

The hole is like 30 meters deep so I hope it gets approved!!
  • Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#216 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

Does anyone know if council approved this last night?

#217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if council approved this last night?

it passed unanimously or close to.  isitt supported.

one new councillor asked where the contaminated soils went.  fred from alpha said some went up island some to richmond some to alberta.

the dra asked if balconies could have opaque glass at least partly so stuff on them would not be subject to theft (since it could be seen presumably by 844 residents). after some discussion council decided to ask the developer and staff to consider if that could happen but it would not be required.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 January 2019 - 11:16 AM.

• Kapten Kapsell and DavidSchell like this

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

As in there is a concern people will climb the side of the building to access balconies?

Know it all.

#219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

As in there is a concern people will climb the side of the building to access balconies?

Ubiquitous clear glass balcony guards do not screen personal possessions that are inevitably stored on balconies from public view. It is suggested that at least a portion of the railing glass on each balcony be of the obscure type to provide some screening from public view and create additional aesthetic interest. 

read what you want into that i guess.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 January 2019 - 01:21 PM.

#220 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:18 PM

Its coming to the point that some of these questions and design requirements are becoming asinine bordering on hilarious

• DavidSchell likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users