Photo

Vancouver Island Motor Gathering - Sunday, September 18/16 at the Cowichan track

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:35 AM

Time:  11:00am - 2:00pm

Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit

4063 Cowichan Valley Hwy

Lake Cowichan, BC, V9L 6K4

General Admission:

$2 per person suggested donation

100% of all funds raised are donated

Show Vehicle Registration:

$20 per vehicle (Prior to September 13th)

$25 per vehicle (Day of Registration)

100% of all funds raised are donated

http://www.motorgath...om/#!event/cvrm

After sponsoring the European Car Picnic for over 15 years, GAIN, Vancouver Island’s Premier Dealer Group, with the help and support of the Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island knew it was time to create something fresh, exciting and different to allow all motorists of all makes, models and genres to come together at one common ground.  

When the opportunity was presented to GAIN to take on the car show completely, we were ecstatic and ready to accept the challenge.  Our first year hosting the Motor Gathering in 2013 concluded with over $52,000 raised for the Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island.  Our second year in 2014 increased that to over $75,000 in cash donations and over $200,000 in in-kind sponsorships in benefit of the Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island and the Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation.  

With the help and generosity of all our wonderful sponsors, volunteers, registrants and many spectators, the Vancouver Island Motor Gathering has helped numerous families on the island and we strive to grow that with each and every year.

This year the Vancouver Island Motor Gathering will be held on Sunday September 18th at the Vancouver Island Mototsport Circuit.  Our benefactor is the David Foster Foundation.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

The minimum donation has been re-set to $5.

Car registration ends today, day-of registrations has been cancelled.

They are sparing no expense advertising this thing, I think there will be massive crowds.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

I hope so, it's a gamble having it so far out of town but I'm sure there will be a lot of folks that want to see the track.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:52 AM

I hope so, it's a gamble having it so far out of town but I'm sure there will be a lot of folks that want to see the track.

I think so too, but their ads do not play up that aspect, I notice.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Some people really hate the track.

http://mypage.uniser...sdtt/index.html

Q: What kind of heartless, soulless, immoral, inconsiderate, uncivilized people does it take to move an operation into a area that they know will disturb and disrupted the lives of others, without a care in the world.
A: Anyone who has anything to do with The Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit

This place is a plaything for ONLY the rich. It's NOT for you.

To contact the mayor and councillors, please call (250) 746-3100, or e-mail council@northcowichan.ca.

What was the council thinking when they allowed this atrocities in our town?

I'd like to ask a simple question to everyone. Who wants a race track in their neighborhood? Nobody on this planet, that's who. We deserve the same rights and privileges as everyone else gets in their neighborhood.

The noise bylaw states. "No person shall make nor allow to be made any noise that disturbs the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of any person or persons in the neighborhood or vicinity, whether by any animal, vehicle, conveyance, vessel, machinery, equipment, device, or activity." Also. "Using an engine or motor vehicle without a muffler or other device which would prevent excessive noise therefrom, or so out of repair, or equipped in such a way as to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of any person or persons in the neighborhood or vicinity;"
Except we don't get those privileges.

Let's not forget the ground water that WILL be poisoned with gas and oil and antifreeze that will leach into MY groundwater. This is a crime against nature.

These people have no respect or empathy towards the people in our Valley. What kind of people would continue to agitate and disturb when they know they are NOT WANTED or WELCOME here.

Only criminals, narcissist and sociopaths think it is OK to disrupt everyone's lives to make a profit. This is your chance to fight back.

#6 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

Heading up there next Sunday for some slaloming and track time.

Will pay attention to the noise levels. My feeling is that it isn't their track cars but some member cars with open headers. The track cars are so computerized that they cant run like that. The owner of Baljet has a 1970's Lola that he tracks there, thats loud 

That is pretty loud and I wouldn't be happy having that noise constantly.  

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Haven't followed this issue at all, but I thought there was some type of survey for residents of the area before the track was built to allow them feedback, pro or con? If so wouldn't that have been the time to mount vigorous opposition, or are the comments above indicative of only a very small number of folks living in the area?

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

Haven't followed this issue at all, but I thought there was some type of survey for residents of the area before the track was built to allow them feedback, pro or con? If so wouldn't that have been the time to mount vigorous opposition, or are the comments above indicative of only a very small number of folks living in the area?

I'm actually not sure if we are seeing "vigorous opposition".  Most news articles say the complainers do not want the track shut down.

That website I linked is pretty vicious though.  But it recommends that people go to google and drop a bad review.  But if you look at their reviews, they sit a 4.8/5, with only one 1-star reviews, wich I'll guess is the person with that webiste:

10 months ago-
This is not a motorsport race track it is a travesty and play ground for the rich who with private membership don,t want to race real racers who may drive anything whether it be north American Japanese or European not just German cars. Heck we pay taxes here most these guys don,t even live here and probably couldn't turn a wrench or even change there own oil. I just know I,m buying new Subaru brz and it won,t be from nanaimo Subaru owned by the same guys selling the german brands on Vancouver island and that own this track I will also tell every one know not to purchase from these clowns thank you. This is my opinion.

So he is not getting much traction.  I also see his Facebook page is gone, I wonder if he went to far and FB shut him down.  He's calling people sociopaths and criminals.

I also see Carl won a helicopter ride with GAIN last summer, guess he soured lots after.

Oh, I see, he's a disgruntled hot-rodder...

https://vimsa.ca/stans-69-camaro/

Oh, that wants to race in Campbell River.

https://vimsa.ca/sit...campbell-river/

So I'm not even sure he's the guy with the website.  So the guy with the website appears to have persuaded nobody, including themselves, to make a bad google review.

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Its a pretty classy operation and is light years different than Western Speedway. Membership isnt any different than a golf club, $40k down and $5k a year....and there are a load of guys (and gals) who enjoy this just as much as there are folks that golf or fish. The folks I've seen arent exactly the 'lifestyles of the rich and famous' set and come from all sorts of backgrounds such as professionals to builders or car dealers or truckers. 

Like I said when I'm up there next week I'll monitor the noise levels.

#10 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Drove there today, the noise issue is not an issue for 98% of the time, There are some members cars that are full on race cars that run open headers but they are pretty restricted to use due to the power involved. They hosted the canadian training of the new Mini Countryman this week and this was the first time they used their off road circuit which was well received. We drove the new 718 Boxsters and Caymans as well as last gen versions and the noise was normal traffic volume.

I asked about the noise complaints and they said they are aware and are working on it including restricting certain open header cars to specific times.

That being said work will begin shortly on phase 2 which will see a 300km/h straight developed with paving planned for fall/winter of 2018 to open by spring 2019, that will change the whole focus as it adds a whole different driver aspect.

No bike lanes are planned at this point..... 

• VicHockeyFan, AllseeingEye and Sparky like this

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Can't be noisier than Western Speedway and there are a lot more people living in the vicinity of that.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

1/4 mile drag races incoming then, rjag?

• rjag likes this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

1/4 mile drag races incoming then, rjag?

Nitro-powered hopefully, jet optional.  That should be quiet.  I think it just has that 300kmh bit where you can wind it up.

With the plane-car, you should be able to take off there.

maxresdefault.jpg

#14 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Gotta say, if you ever get a chance to drive one of the new 718 Boxsters with the PDK, its unreal. 350 ponies and 300lbs of torque out of a turbo 4 cylinder, with the sport mode engaged it sounds like the exhaust is a machine gun.

They are going to have to definitely expand the course as its simply too tight to get more than 120kmh on the back staright and maybe 150 on the front, but these arent straight line racers, the fact we were doing the twisties in the rain at 100kmh is a testament to how well set up they are direct from the factory. There really isnt much to improve upon

Edited by rjag, 13 March 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 03:06 PM

Welcome to the 
Vancouver Island Concours d'Elegance & Motorcar Weekend
(formerly the Vancouver Island Motor Gathering)!

GAIN Group is proud to present the Vancouver Island Concours d'Elegance & Motorcar Weekend, an exciting charity car show featuring a diverse collection of vehicles and motorcycles throughout the grounds of Shawnigan Lake School.

100% of all donations going towards the David Foster Foundation, the Cowichan District Hospital Foundation and local families with children in need across Vancouver Island.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support over the last 7 years. With the help of our generous sponsors, spectators, and community supporters, we have been able to raise over $1 million in cash donations and over $1.5 million in in-kind donations for our families in need. We look forward to seeing you all this year!

The Vancouver Island Concours d'Elegance will be hosted at the Shawnigan Lake School.
1975 Renfrew Rd, Shawnigan Lake, BC

https://islandconcours.com/

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:03 AM

North Cowichan might revisit track rejection; mayor cites possible lawsuit

https://www.timescol...suit-1.23990684

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

...the Sahtlam Neighbourhood Association, which opposes the circuit expansion, said the municipality has it wrong, however. While the first track and facilities were approved because they were on heavy industrial and recreational lands, the second phase would only be on heavy industrial land. Thus, the first phase wouldn’t be affected if the second was rejected as a non-permitted use, she said.

"I just can’t believe that we’re going to have to possibly go through all of this all over again. It’s frustrating and disheartening,"

from Times-Colonist

It's too bad that some heavy industrial use hasn't been proposed for that property.

Edited by aastra, 29 October 2019 - 08:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users