PROPOSED
Victoria PARC
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 829-899 Fort Street / 846-856 Broughton Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
PARC Retirement Living is proposing a seniors’ independent living rental residence (with a 5% below-market a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria PARC on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Victoria PARC | Seniors rentals; commercial | 10-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,167 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

Council has sent this project to a public hearing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

Mods:  should PC Urban be listed as a co-developer of this property?  They're claiming it on their website, albeit with older renderings:

https://www.pcurban....ra-victoria-bc/

Note that PC Urban is the proponent of the 170-unit rental project at Gorge and Irma (recently mentioned in the "Construction Rumours" thread)...

#163 victorian

victorian
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

This was my reaction as well. And I still feel like the upper floors along Fort Street are missing something.

It's one long building so I give them points for the amount of variation that they've tried to introduce. For Street is all about fine grain and small frontages*. Will this faux granularity work there? I suppose we're going to find out.

*Bay Centre not included

Downtown and Harris Green are losing their granularity with new developments. Fort Street was a fantastic example of granularity before tenants started leaving the 800 block. I know VV posters generally prefer massive and tall towers, but I think developments like the Sawyer Block at 840 Fort fit into a fine grained neighborhood better.

Edited by victorian, 09 August 2019 - 08:22 AM.

• Brantastic likes this

#164 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:07 AM

I know VV posters generally prefer massive and tall towers...

Not me. I much prefer Victoria-style small-footprint junior highrise buildings like Legato, Corazon, Juliet, 834 Johnson... the proposal for Fort Street as well. In an ideal world that's the format that would continue to be Victoria's bread and butter going forward. Wide buildings have their place here or there (just like highrise buildings do) but the context should always (instead of never) be taken into account. And where block monsters do exist, the lines should emphasize the narrow & vertical rather than long horizontals (something that I think officialdom has no grasp of whatsoever).

Edited by aastra, 09 August 2019 - 09:07 AM.

• Vin likes this

#165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

... where block monsters do exist, the lines should emphasize the narrow & vertical rather than long horizontals (something that I think officialdom has no grasp of whatsoever).

Agreed.

#166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,167 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:55 PM

Mods: should PC Urban be listed as a co-developer of this property? They're claiming it on their website, albeit with older renderings:
https://www.pcurban....ra-victoria-bc/

Note that PC Urban is the proponent of the 170-unit rental project at Gorge and Irma (recently mentioned in the "Construction Rumours" thread)...

Several years ago there was some involvement from one of the principals but that is no longer, and the individual is not with PCU any longer. They’ll likely update the website to reflect that at some point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#167 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

Victorians-asked-to-weigh-in-on-future-of-Fort-Street's-'Antique-Row'-as-new-devs-transform-retail-landscape.jpg

The 800-block of Fort Street, known for generations as Antique Row for its collection of antique, used furniture and vintage houseware retailers, will undergo significant change in the coming years as multiple mixed-use development efforts aim to revive the business opportunities along the commercial corridor.

Victorians asked to weigh in on future of Fort Street's 'Antique Row' retail make-up as new devs lead storefront revival
https://victoria.cit...efront-revival/

• Brantastic likes this
Know it all.

#168 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

What's happening here? It's been over a year since anyone's posted about it and over a year since there were any updates on the Development Tracker.

#169 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:14 AM

Perhaps the CoV is "Northern Junking" the process. Can't rush these things through without years and years of analysis. After all, it's not 24/7 camping in city parks. There are massive repercussions to approving a 10-storey seniors' building in a city's downtown core.

#170 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

Old folks aren't what they used to be. 65 year olds were born in 1952. I have it on good authority that people born in the sixties will be old folks in the near future. Astounding but true.

Now it's 1955. Time marches on.

#171 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

What's happening here? It's been over a year since anyone's posted about it and over a year since there were any updates on the Development Tracker.

The project was endorsed unanimously by Council on August 8, 2019. It will be sent to a Public Hearing after all of the legal agreements have been drafted and registered on Title. So as far as I know, it's legal documents holding things up, which may or may not be due to the lenders (that's usually been the case with developments I work on).

• Brantastic likes this

#172 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

Revised plans were posted to DevTracker today.  No changes to the exterior, but they are increasing total unit count to 280 and increasing the # of student rentals.  There are 14 units set aside as affordable rentals (5% of overall total).

A letter listing all of the revisions is here:  https://tender.victo...927145216076033

#173 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 01:16 PM

A public hearing is anticipated before mid-year for this project; unit count remains 280.  

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 10:57 AM

It's approaching 6 years since this development was first proposed and nothing has been approved.

Parc living.png

At this rate, today's kindergarteners may not live long enough to reside here. Is there a housing "crisis" or not?

#175 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,167 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:39 AM

They had a bit of a rough go before the city. It could be a long while yet before something happens here.

Know it all.

#176 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:42 AM

#housingcrisisfallacy

#177 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 10:06 AM

Still sitting in limbo?

• Mike K. likes this

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 02:10 PM

Yes, no updates here.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users