UNDER CONSTRUCTION
825 Fort Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 819-827 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
825 Fort Street is an 11-storey rental tower with a retail component along the 800-block of Fort Street in dow... (view full profile)
Learn more about 825 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 825 Fort Street | Rentals, commercial | 11-storeys

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

Uggh! Why does it have such monotonous massing now?

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

I like what they're doing on the lowest levels (Zoinks! Did they listen to my suggestion re: preserving a wee bit more of the Fort Street texture by keeping the old facade on the right?). But I agree that the top doesn't culminate like it used to. "Culminate" is my favourite word now when we talk about this stuff. Also, I think the entire upper left section just looked better before, but as per usual it all depends on the nature of the cladding and the window frames, etc.

• Rob Randall and jonny like this

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

I think I'm finding it not so easy to read this one. Can't wait to see some quality renderings.

#44 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

I think I'm finding it not so easy to read this one. Can't wait to see some quality renderings.

I agree, the straight-on sketch style makes judging the massing difficult.

For now, I like the street presence of the revision better. The two-storey building on the right really stands out, which I like. The "tower" portions are OK, but a perspective rendering is much needed before I can make a judgement.

#45 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

I saw a bunch more renderings of all sides at the open house, they are out there and I hope they make them available. Maybe Mike can bug the developer.

• Nparker likes this

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

Except for the retention of the 821 Fort building in the current rendering (which I like), I still prefer the massing in my concept.

825 Fort -1 (2).JPG

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

I wish we didn’t have to lose 10% of the units.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Why does massing always have to be "consistant" (read boaring) here?
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#49 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

I prefer the second submission. The podium to "tower" ratio of the new massing is more appealing to me. 

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

I prefer the second submission. The podium to "tower" ratio of the new massing is more appealing to me. 

The previous massing made some attempt to slim down the tower and give it some articulation. That appears to be gone now. The "podium" was probably a bit heavy before, so there has been some improvement there. It's a shame that in transferring density from the revised smaller podium the result is a shorter, blockier tower. 12 slimmer floors would have been nice. Now we are presented with another 10-storey cube or as I like to call it the "Victoria mid-rise special".

• sdwright.vic and grantpalin like this

#51 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

If you want to get outraged over a one storey reduction, fill yer boots (we all know you will...). 

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

If you want to get outraged over a one storey reduction, fill yer boots (we all know you will...). 

It's not so much the one-storey reduction as it is the "chunkiness" of the new massing combined with the "sameness" of  other nearby projects (Escher, Fort & Parc) that the changes appear to represent.

#53 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

I don't see chunky. I see elegant. 

We don't know how alike this building will be to Escher or Fort & Parc as we have not seen colour renderings and do not know what textures, colours or materials will be used. The height is similar, which is IIRC what the OCP calls for. An reduction from 11 to 10 floors does not make a material impact on how alike this is to Escher. 

This looks like a decent infill project to me, and a great project for Fort. I don't think anybody expects high rises on Fort. What we have seen is essentially a b/w sketch, and we know how often designs can change at this stage. *shrugs* 

Edited by jonny, 02 May 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

I don't expect to see high rises on Fort, but I'd hardly call my suggestion of 12 slimmer floors a high rise, not even by local standards. What it appears we are getting is yet another building designed to virtually the same height as all of its neighbours. If this is what the OCP is forcing developers to do, then the OCP needs to be changed.

#55 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

This is my rough sketch of what Fort & Park and this project will look like (Escher is greyed out, behind). Nice consistent street wall, there's some variation in the vertical elements to make it look like an assembly of several buildings, heights are not all that different but I don't think that will have a negative impact on the experience from the street. It would have been nice to get a couple more floors in to have those 3BR units back, though.

Capture.png

• jonny likes this

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

...It would have been nice to get a couple more floors in to have those 3BR units back, though....

This. Is it really too much to ask for some variation from the 10-storey box?

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

And here's my minor variation that I think makes it more visually appealing.

800 block Fort Street proposals - Copy.png

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

The old right-hand facade (Arcade Grocery) will be the site of the UVic MFA grad show, the premier art student exhibition of the year. Opens this weekend.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

The old right-hand facade (Arcade Grocery) will be the site of the UVic MFA grad show, the premier art student exhibition of the year. Opens this weekend.

What type of careers do UVic visual arts grads go on to? 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 May 2018 - 02:04 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#60 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

^ see other thread for that answer...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users