UNDER CONSTRUCTION
825 Fort Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 819-827 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
825 Fort Street is an 11-storey rental tower with a retail component along the 800-block of Fort Street in dow... (view full profile)
Learn more about 825 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 825 Fort Street | Rentals, commercial | 11-storeys

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Feedback will be collected during the 'formal' community meeting @ 1330 Fairfield Road on Sept 28 (7 PM).  The next step after this meeting will be for the developer to apply for a rezoning with the city.

#22 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hey ladies and gents,

Ive been relatively active on SkyScraper Page, and have been living in Victoria for about a year now, so I figured I should probably climb aboard VV.

ANYWAYS, I wonder what the Recruiting Centre will do when construction commences? I dont see too many office locations that are currently in the downtown that meet their size, accessibility and security requirements.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, moretrain!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hey ladies and gents,

Ive been relatively active on SkyScraper Page, and have been living in Victoria for about a year now, so I figured I should probably climb aboard VV.

ANYWAYS, I wonder what the Recruiting Centre will do when construction commences? I dont see too many office locations that are currently in the downtown that meet their size, accessibility and security requirements.

Cool, good to see you on here.

That's a good question. I'll see if I can dig up any info. Perhaps the new project will incorporate the recruitment centre, with the existing one transitioning part-time to somewhere at CFB Esquimalt? Just a guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

Welcome.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

That's a good question. I'll see if I can dig up any info. Perhaps the new project will incorporate the recruitment centre, with the existing one transitioning part-time to somewhere at CFB Esquimalt? Just a guess.

They may also chose to operate interm satelite offices at another DND location (Colwood, Bay st, Vanalman ave, etc)

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Does recruiting need a full-time M-F downtown office?  Bay St. kinda rocks and has some sharp people, might be cool there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

Problem with using lands at CFB Esquimalt is lack of space. Barely enough room for the current units and ships, let alone adding a relatively major office.

Thanks for the welcome Mike

Does recruiting need a full-time M-F downtown office?  Bay St. kinda rocks and has some sharp people, might be cool there.

Full time? Yes and no. 90% of the recruitment process is completed online, however that being said, there is still a boatload of paperwork that needs to be processed at the office. Additionally, all interviews, medicals, aptitude tests and swearing in are done there too. I was talking with the Commanding Officer there and evidently they process all applications for the Island, which turns out to be over 1000 last year.

So, 1000 applications submitted online, quickly filtered by the forces 'auto-sort' protocols, cut down to probably 600-700 applications; interview cuts down to probably 350-400; aptitude test doesn't necessarily preclude somebodies application but it can restrict the potential fields a candidate qualifies for; medical cuts down to probably 250-300; final processing in Borden using the national ranking system probably gives offers to 150-200 candidates. And all that is supposed to take 6-8 weeks. 

Edited by moretrain, 28 September 2017 - 09:17 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#29 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

Aside from that, I would love to live in a location such as this. Very close to the middle of it all, without being directly in the middle. I would prefer to ideally see more height, but alas, city bylaws exist everywhere to prevent the casting of shadows. Would like to see a more accurate colour rendering before providing a more detailed response.

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

...alas, city bylaws exist everywhere to prevent the casting of shadows...

All buildings cast shadows - even short ones - except perhaps on cloudy days, which the CoV experiences about half of each year. Maybe we should be encouraging tall, glassy, angular buildings to reflect more sunlight down onto the streets for those 180+ days. On the other hand, yesterday, as the thermometer climbed, I was grateful to be able to walk in cool comfort in the shadow of a tall (by Victoria standards) building. So I can see no real downside to tall buildings.

#31 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

So I can see no real downside to tall buildings.

Nor I. It was more a point that opposition to height is prevalent everywhere. Personally, I would prefer one 20 story building to two 10 story buildings. For the simple fact of cost to taxpayers. Shorter length of service deliver infrastructure to the property line, less overall cost. Plus the upside, is that the plot of land where the second 10 story building would have gone could be a park or something.

• Nparker and DougG like this

#32 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Welcome moretrain!

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

...Personally, I would prefer one 20 story building to two 10 story buildings...

It's no secret that I prefer the esthetic of taller, slimmer towers over shorter, wider buildings. I'm not known as "Aunty* Widescraper" for nothing.  :P

* yes, I spelled it that way deliberately

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

Your spelling of Aunty has triggered me.

Moderators?

• Nparker likes this

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Your spelling of Aunty has triggered me...

It's how my people have spelled "aunt" for generations. Are you denigrating my cultural heritage?

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

The CoV has now received the rezoning application for this proposal.

825.JPG

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

Another open house for this project tonight beginning at 4:30 pm.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

Another open house for this project tonight beginning at 4:30 pm.

Location?

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

Location?

On site.

#40 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

Revisions are live on the Dev Tracker: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00621

Reduction to 10 storeys (originally 11)

98 units (originally 109 units)

- 53 1BR (originally 53)

- 38 2BR (originally 42)

- 7 3 BR (originally 14)

More consistent massing among the three distinct pieces

Proposed parklet has been removed

First Submission

post-96-0-96978200-1505348982.jpg

Second Submission (current)

Capture.PNG

• Kapten Kapsell and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users