District of Sooke | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

This is breaking news, I should add. There will be more coverage before too long.

The special in-camera meeting has now been posted to the municipality's website but it has no information in regards to the nature of the meeting.

Thank you Mike and to add this is now 7 CAO's since 2011 

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:56 AM

Yes, that is correct!

Something very bizarre is going on in that municipality and CAO's are flying off the shelves. Note that Brent Blackhall is the acting CAO.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:13 PM

There have been some serious ongoing problems with the Sooke council more or less since the start.   

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

Kenneth Robar, the Sooke resident who was the first to put his name forward as a candidate for the upcoming District Council by-election in Sooke is missing

https://www.saanichn...Z0cpLJHVxqY4h8U

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:39 AM

Kenneth Robar, the first candidate who had thrown his hat into the Sooke by-election ring, has gone missing. He disappeared on the 16th after heading to the town's rec centre on Phillips Road, according to the president of the Sooke Shelter Society.

Nine other candidates have added their names as by-election hopefuls.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

https://www.saanichn...tCnLu5hNzgvdA0k

“Ken has been found, safe and well,” said Sooke Shelter Society president, Sherry Thompson.

• Mike K. likes this

#27 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

SOOKE BC Politics

November 28, 2019

“You’re telling me,” Councillor Tony St-Pierre said, “that I have to take a pig that I’m going to slaughter and drag it out into the middle of a field to do that?”

Councillor Megan McMath, in turn, said she often goes out and shoots her crossbow in her yard and things turn out fine. 

https://www.sookenew...fe3f8-121164041

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

Oh my god...

Know it all.

#29 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

SOOKE BC Politics
November 28, 2019

“You’re telling me,” Councillor Tony St-Pierre said, “that I have to take a pig that I’m going to slaughter and drag it out into the middle of a field to do that?”

Councillor Megan McMath, in turn, said she often goes out and shoots her crossbow in her yard and things turn out fine.

https://www.sookenew...fe3f8-121164041

The actual quote is "Coun. Megan McMath pointed out that she shoots a crossbow on her property and does so safely." Your editorializing makes it sound like she lives in a townhouse and shoots it towards her neighbours house.

There are a lot of rural and farm properties in Sooke/East Sooke where you could safely discharge a firearm or bow without your neighbours even hearing it.

#30 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:52 AM

The actual quote is "Coun. Megan McMath pointed out that she shoots a crossbow on her property and does so safely." Your editorializing makes it sound like she lives in a townhouse and shoots it towards her neighbours house.

There are a lot of rural and farm properties in Sooke/East Sooke where you could safely discharge a firearm or bow without your neighbours even hearing it.

I actually did not editorialize anything, what I posted was a direct copy and paste from the article in question.  Black Press has since changed the article and I note Black Press has not made record of the change as any professional publication would.  The point you make regarding rural/farm properties is not lost on anyone here.  Relax.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

Oh you’d hear it from a long distance away.

That being said I hear reports of gun shots on the scanner from the Sooke area with some frequency, and police don’t take them lightly (it’s usually someone believing they are in the “wilderness” and practicing their aim or hunting).
  • VIResident likes this

Know it all.

#32 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

Oh you’d hear it from a long distance away.

i have a silencer on my crossbow.  so i use it in my townhouse and my neighbours never complain.  this afternoon i'll be hunting for tonight's dinner.

• VIResident likes this

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:00 AM

Gunshots, not arrows.

Know it all.

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:02 AM

this afternoon i'll be hunting for tonight's dinner.

it's a real cat and mouse game in my townhouse when i'm on the hunt.   as in cats and mice are the game since my strata has a rule against moose in the complex.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2019 - 07:02 AM.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:16 AM

CRD Director for Juan de Fuca EA Mike Hicks has announced he will not seek re-election in 2022. He has served since 2008.

Hicks is well liked and as a politician he has always been quite approachable and did good work for his community.

Know it all.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:05 PM

Sooke council is holding its OCP public hearing right now. Not a lot of happy constituents there. Like Victoria's mass changes, the OCP process is being described as rushed, and veiled by COVID with less than acceptable public consultation. A few barbs have been exchanged tonight.

Council will be voting soon, I think. I suspect this is going to seal the fate of most elected officials seeking re-election (the joking 'cocaine using' councillor will be seeking a seat as a school trustee for the Sooke school district, in case anyone's wondering; she lives in Esquimalt, it's not clear why she wants to oversee schools outside of her jurisdiction).

Know it all.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:13 PM

Also, the parallel with missing middle in Victoria is quite the thing. There are people lamenting the cost to get to this point, and that that alone should motivate council to support the initiative.

Is the thinking, then, that if you can drag out a plan for four years, it automatically ought to get approved?

Dave Saunders is speaking now. It looks like the Saunders family owns a good chunk of land in the Whiffin Spit area.

Know it all.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 06:51 AM

Council deferred the OCP decision to the next council.

Over 30 people smoke, most not in favour of the OCP or the majority of its current vision. The plan has a lot of environmental stewardship ideas that residents said were out of touch with reality and expensive to implement.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users