Mod
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1150 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: now selling
Mod is a 15-storey condominium tower with ground floor commercial space along the 1100-block of Cook Street at... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mod on Citified.ca      Official website: https://modvictoria.com
Photo

[Downtown] Mod | Condos; retail | 15-storeys

• Please log in to reply
370 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hey, your relentless badgering ended up changing my tune re: the service station's value. I'd love for it to be relocated somewhere.

#62 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

I am strongly in favour of a re-purposing of the building or at least a portion of it. I think it could make a pretty awesome picnic structure in a park. It is an iconic shape of the old Pacific 66 chain.

i definitely like the idea of reusing the existing neon sign somewhere on the new building
  • Nparker likes this

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

Not sure why it just dawned on me how similar the podium is to the Vancouver St. side of the 989 Johnson podium. Do we think this might actually be straying into too similar territory? These buildings are in the same neighbourhood. Maybe switch out the white for another colour?

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

Not sure why it just dawned on me how similar the podium is to the Vancouver St. side of the 989 Johnson podium...

There was a greater difference from 989's podium on the first rendering that was posted, most especially the 3rd floor windows facing Cook Street.

1150 Cook (not Plutos).jpg

I am less impressed with this version

1150 Cook-update.jpg

(and I say that as a fan of 989).

• shoeflack likes this

#65 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

The first rendering also has a better rendering of View Street...come on people! But absolutely, I quite like that first rendering. Love the podium design.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:44 AM

Pluto’s doesn’t seem too thrilled about the rendering reveal. A post from their account on our Instagram account was just a middle finger emoji.

The owner has also voiced his disdain for “condos” in the past.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

Pluto’s doesn’t seem too thrilled about the rendering reveal. A post from their account on our Instagram account was just a middle finger emoji.

The owner has also voiced his disdain for “condos” in the past.

This just makes me even more curious about the imagine on Sakura's website

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

Pluto’s...owner has also voiced his disdain for “condos” in the past.

I wonder how many of his customers live in condos? One less than before I can assure him.

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Pluto's has been given a bit of an extension: https://www.vicnews....ng-renoviction/

#70 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

The design has been modified to include an LED-lit 'crown' that will change colour at night.

plutosproperty.png

• Mike K., Nparker, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this

#71 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

The design has been modified to include an LED-lit 'crown' that will change colour at night.

attachicon.gifplutosproperty.png

Thanks Kapten!

Curious what others opinion is on this. 

IMO it is corny, but am open to other opinions. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#72 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

That will make it easier to find your way home after a night of pub hopping!

• Matt R. likes this

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:13 AM

It would be cool if the lights were an homage to the Plutos neon.
  • Nparker, grantpalin and A Girl is No one like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#74 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

Any updates on this project?

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

Went past this site yesterday. Just about anything will be better than the way it looks now. Sadly, Pluto's best days are long gone.

• Promontory Kingpin likes this

#76 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:40 PM

The DRA is expressing strong opposition to this development (in its current incarnation): https://victoriadra....4-Sept-2020.pdf

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

The DRA is expressing strong opposition to this development...

Quel surprise.

• aastra likes this

#78 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

What's the difference between the downtown residents' association and the downtown non-residents' association?

There is no difference. They're both opposed to people living downtown.

• Nparker and Casual Kev like this

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:08 PM

Notice the convenient references to COVID. Opposition is always energized by current narratives and events, never diminished. How come they don't use COVID as justification for higher densities? You know, to save downtown? Or to encourage people to have more of a local neighbourhood focus? Or to provide more homes during desperate economic times? Crickets chirping.

This is nothing new, of course. Housing crisis? Fuel shortage? Environmental calamity? Beatlemania? All the more reason to resist density and efficient land use. We've been suffering through modern development controversies since the late 1940s and not one time has density ever been justified or appropriate. It's amazing, you'd think random chance would eventually dictate at least one pro-density moment. Nope, we're still waiting for it.

• Nparker likes this

#80 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

This comment below about shadowing is confusing. Which pre-existing residential properties would be unreasonably shadowed in December? The car lot immediately north is still a car lot. The car lot across Cook to the northeast is still a car lot. The buildings across Cook to the east are not residential. The Tara Place apartments are right next door to the west, so it would be impossible to avoid early morning shadowing unless you replace the diner with a parking lot, but -- conveniently -- Tara Place presents a perfectly blank face east toward this property (in other words, it was designed to account for a future next-door neighbour).

What am I missing? Surely we're not worried about the taller building at Regents Park getting perfectly unimpeded morning sun in winter? It's a hundred meters away, and one of Harris Green's tallest buildings (and, ironically, it casts a full shadow over its shorter neighbour at Regents Park).

The shadow plans do not show December - the worst month of all. The building as proposed will create an unreasonable shadow over the neighbours.

This is a residential neighbourhood and yet no where else in the city would this kind of shadowing of pre‐existing homes be considered acceptable.

Harris Green is just another residential neighbourhood, like Gonzales or Oaklands or Fernwood. If those other neighbourhoods don't tolerate shadowing from midrise and highrse buildings then why should Harris Green tolerate it? It's not as if there's anything about Harris Green's location or established built form that sets it apart from those other neighbourhoods. No difference at all, right?

• zoomer, Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users