UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel
Uses: hotel, commercial
Address: 1314-1324 Broad Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
The Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel development is a six-storey, 135-room hotel with ground floor retail space. T... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hyatt Centric Victoria Hotel | Hotel; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

The thread pertaining to the earlier condominium and rental proposal can be viewed here.

UVic-partnered-Broad-Street-condo-and-rental-complex-transitions-into-hotel-proposal.jpg

The Duck's Building, erected in 1892, is envisioned to become part of a hotel complex planned for the 1300-block of Broad Street between Yates and Johnson streets. The development concept for the UVic-owned properties was initially intended to create graduate student rental housing and market condominiums.

UVic-partnered Broad Street condo and rental complex transitions into hotel proposal

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:23 AM

I don't know. There's a huge demand for short term space for people visiting UVic. There's a constant stream of visiting profs, guest lecturers, grad students etc. etc. all year round that need accommodation. But they're asking for a lot of density. The question remains, what direct tangible benefits does Victoria receive for this density request? I'm aware of the various spin-off benefits.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

...what direct tangible benefits does Victoria receive for this density request...

An increased property tax base so I never get hit with a 22.5% boost in my CoV taxes in a single year ever again?

• Bernard likes this

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Are we sure it works like that?

Year to date, Langford has built more homes than Sidney, Central Saanich, North Saanich, Highlands, Metchosin, Esquimalt, View Royal, Saanich, Oak Bay combined.

Received the tax notice for my humble abode in Downtown Langford today. Up 12% from last year. That's a big jump compared to previous years, usually 3 or 4%. Wondering if anyone else has seen this big of a jump. Maybe they screwed up when doing the math. 

https://vibrantvicto...taxes/?p=493472

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

I don't know. There's a huge demand for short term space for people visiting UVic. There's a constant stream of visiting profs, guest lecturers, grad students etc. etc. all year round that need accommodation. But they're asking for a lot of density. The question remains, what direct tangible benefits does Victoria receive for this density request? I'm aware of the various spin-off benefits.

Density is a benefit in and of itself, as it means more people downtown shopping, sitting in parks and walking around.
  • EPort likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I get all the spin-off effects. But are you saying that's it? What about the OCP, the ask above permitted density?

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

What are the negative effects of asking for increased density for this site?

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

The negatives of "too much red tape" are on full display with our exorbitant housing costs. 

Edited by jonny, 24 May 2019 - 12:33 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

The negatives of "too much red tape" are on full display with our exorbitant housing costs. 

Not to mention the total lack of decision making skills by local government as witnessed at last night's CoV council gong show.

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

By that logic, just throw the OCP out the window and let UVic and Chard build 10, heck, make it 20 storeys.

• jonny likes this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

:thumbsup:

#12 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

By that logic, just throw the OCP out the window and let UVic and Chard build 10, heck, make it 20 storeys.

The choir listens enraptured...

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

Apparently building housing is too onerous, thanks to a council who keeps telling us we’re in a housing crisis. Make sense of that.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, I get all the spin-off effects. But are you saying that's it? What about the OCP, the ask above permitted density?

I think we made a rule based on nothing. If I saw some sort of science behind FSR ratios maybe I could be convinced but they seem pretty arbitrary to me.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

It has a whole new look!

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

This same council believes that by raising taxes on residential property owners it will somehow bring down the cost of housing in the city.

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

That’s what they do in Atlanta and Houston. Two cities that have dirt cheap real estate.

Not saying we should do that exactly. Just sayin.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

I think that Old Town is special and needs special design guidelines but they should be based on something. The current FSR for Old Town doesn't align with the parts of it that are the most special. We made them up because there was an idea that smaller was better. What we should be doing is looking at what makes Old Town awesome and replicating that and I think that apart from some of legitimate design problems here, this proposal does that.

It has a whole new look!

#18 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

Some renderings from the application (posted to dev tracker today):

99D0F13B-9EEB-4EA8-8E6F-D045E090F083.jpeg
840A35F4-880C-43E0-8B57-EDBA59E9821D.jpeg

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:59 PM

The left-side building looks different in the two renderings, especially the upper floor setbacks and the window shapes.

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

Nice that it finally looks like three buildings

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users