APPROVED
Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel
Uses: hotel, commercial
Address: 780-798 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
The Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel is a proposal along the 700-block of Fort Street at Blanshard Street to ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Montrose Wintergarden/Spire Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Montrose Wintergarden Hotel | 66.9 meters

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#121 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

the dominion rocket garbage bins etc. sure enhance it.

• Rob Randall likes this

#122 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

An effective FSR of 9.13:1 which is far denser than the current record holder which I believe is the venerable Belmont Building at around 7:1. 

And right next to the island's finest cathedral. I'm not trying to shoot it down, just saying it's a hell of a bold ask.

A bold ask, yes, but it's a bold building. If it were another Yates on Yates asking for an FSR of 9:1 and a height of 65 m, I would be much less inclined to give it the time of day. This one has a striking design, and I absolutely love the copper cladding. That alone will go a long way in setting this building apart in the skyline.

This is one of those projects where it would have been interesting to see a reaction and letter based on the design only, with the plans completely stripped of density and height. Those two numbers become a fixation that distracts from what is being proposed.

• Nparker and Brantastic like this

#123 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:34 PM

A bold ask, yes, but it's a bold building. If it were another Yates on Yates asking for an FSR of 9:1 and a height of 65 m, I would be much less inclined to give it the time of day. This one has a striking design, and I absolutely love the copper cladding. That alone will go a long way in setting this building apart in the skyline.

Well, that's the thing right, you have to bring something to the table. And that's important because you know that now every surrounding building has a new price tag on it, and the neighbourhood property owners are swooning over that magic 9:1 ratio like a 1970s teenage girl over Donny Osmond. 

But there's a risk and we can recall some recent projects that were approved for extraordinary height based on the quality of the design but as the plans progressed that exciting design became much less visually dynamic and we're left with a very ordinary tall tower with the surrounding property owners crying, if he gets that height, why can't we?.

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 February 2021 - 02:36 PM.

#124 ventilatte

ventilatte
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:40 PM

I like the design overall, just wish it was a bit taller so that it actually made an impact on the skyline.   

Not a fan of the brown/rust colouring though. 

#125 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

I think Rob Randall should be on City Council. Run, Rob, run. 

• max.bravo likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#126 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:23 AM

I like the design overall, just wish it was a bit taller so that it actually made an impact on the skyline.   

Not a fan of the brown/rust colouring though. 

The plans say it's a copper-coloured metal cladding, so not the same stuff they've put on The Ironworks. If it is actually copper-coloured, and not a flat brown, I think it will be quite striking and a welcome change from the blues, greens, and greys we usually see these days.

• Nparker and Brantastic like this

#127 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

I think Rob Randall should be on City Council. Run, Rob, run. 

I've been trying to convince you guys the thing Victoria needs most is more Saanich residents on council.

• Mike K., Hotel Mike and Victoria Watcher like this

#128 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:30 AM

And fewer Fernwood residents.

#129 Vin

Vin
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:49 PM

Build this tower right next to the Hudson's district would be perfect.

• aastra likes this

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

Build this tower right next to the Hudson's district would be perfect.

Not really. There's no good reason to group all the tallest buildings downtown in the same area.

#131 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:13 PM

^There is a reason, it's just a matter whether you subscribe to it or not. Some prefer the idea of highrises in clusters. For instance, the Hudson cluster, the Bayview cluster. Others prefer highrises scattered evenly. 

What I'm seeing now is City Hall moving toward the more random approach with towers about Hudson height at several locations.

• Mike K. likes this

#132 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:02 AM

The heritage designation part of this proposal was considered at Heritage Advisory Panel last month, and the minutes are now available: https://www.victoria...APL Minutes.pdf

Summary: developer does not proposed seismic upgrades, HAP recommends support only if seismic upgrades and storefront restoration are included

• Mike K. likes this

#133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:11 AM

...Summary: developer does not proposed seismic upgrades, HAP recommends support only if seismic upgrades and storefront restoration are included

I don't see this as an unreasonable request as long as the city doesn't demand a tower only half as tall as proposed.

#134 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:14 PM

This is going to COTW on Thursday April 1.  Staff are in support of this moving to a public hearing (not an April Fool's Day joke!).

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:04 PM

This is going to COTW on Thursday April 1.  Staff are in support of this moving to a public hearing (not an April Fool's Day joke!).

A proposal for a 20-storey hotel at Fort and Blanshard streets will be heading to a public hearing following a Thursday morning vote by Victoria councillors.

Discussions will continue with developer Merchant House Capital about ways to protect tenants as the neighbouring three-storey 1912 Montrose building is upgraded in coming years.

https://www.timescol...ring-1.24302257

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2021 - 04:05 PM.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#136 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:08 PM

Stephen Andrew put this one out on his FB page for public response and feedback and predictably all the complainers and whiners and bleaters and haters of anything built after 1955 came out in droves with usual BS nimby commentary - its too much like Vancouver, it will become a mini-Vancouver, it too tall, its too tall for Victoria, it will cast too much shade, it will overpower the cathedral, yadda yadda yadda. My favorite comment was that it was "un-Victorian" - whatever the hell that means. Good grief Victoria is a city, not some musty museum standing still in a vacuum in time - much as some of these people clearly wish it were so.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#137 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:57 PM

This is going to a public hearing on Thursday Nov 4.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:58 PM

Something tells me this one isn't in for an easy ride.

#139 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 02:03 PM

Something tells me this one isn't in for an easy ride.

I think it will be approved; there is a need for hotel space downtown at the moment, and I think the retention of the existing rental apartments in the Montrose building is a 'plus'.

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

Approved as proposed, or approved at half the height?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users