Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Centro condos | 54.4m | 19- & 14-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#161 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

^ Are you saying to make the Douglas frontage a public space? Cool idea - not sure it'll happen.

It at least brings up the question of what is appropriate to build on this western half of the block. I hope city hall is planning for that now.

#162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:44 PM

We must also keep in mind that it is only the Pandora building that is going to be built initially and that the other side will remain a surface parking lot until the market conditions allow the second phase to proceed.

I am guessing that this means we are going to get the "saw-offed" tower before we get the high-rise? I don't like the sounds of that. I suppose however, if the zoning is in place at least there is the possibility that some day the taller tower will get built, just not in my life time. I say why wait? If you build it they will come.

#163 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

Are you saying to make the Douglas frontage a public space?

Sign me up as a vehement opponent of that!

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

I say why wait? If you build it they will come.

Townline will alternate the sale of units between Centro and Hudson. After the "Hudson Mews" is marketed the first Centro tower will come on the market. Then the first Hudson tower, and so on.

I'd prefer to see the taller tower along Pandora than Cormorant. Since Pandora is the livelier of the two streets a taller tower there would be a better fit, IMO.

Thanks for the pictures, Rob.

#165 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

Either way, one tower blocks significant light from the other, no? Imagine how dark the townhouses will be. But it always amazes me how many people purchase and live in North-facing units. I thought we needed lots of natural light to survive and be healthy and happy.

#166 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

@jklymak: I'm not thinking of public space -- no, just having the Douglas bldgs "cut straight through creating an east-west walkway pointing at the City Hall tower" (as per Rob Randall's comment, above). I'm thinking it would open a gap that allows a sort of pin-hole or "framed" view of City Hall, and I think that would be really cool.

@aastra: yeah, I wouldn't wish another plaza on anyone there. Just a narrow little gap, something to entice the eye...

PS/ edit: But I do think that doing this would "relax" (if you will) the focus on Centennial Square. And that would be a good thing....
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#167 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Either way, one tower blocks significant light from the other, no?

You'd think so, but then Astoria & Belvedere would seem to disprove the theory that two buildings close together will inevitably produce a gloomy effect.

I think having the taller building on Cormorant would be the best situation re: sunlight for all concerned (Denby, Corazon, and even First Island Financial included).

To tell you the truth, I'm actually quite impressed with this massing model. I've always considered this lot to be really important re: downtown revitalization/repopulation, but until now I'd never really thought of it as the "big dog" site. But just maybe it is. Just maybe it's even more important than the Hudson parkade towers. The picture below really has me thinking that way.

These folks are proposing a decently tall building and another junior highrise right beside it, and yet -- to my eye -- they've made them fit and work together by staggering the positions, the heights, and the widths about as well as could be done. I feel like I've been pretty critical of Townline recently but I have to give them props for this one.

#168 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Done correctly, I feel Centro has the potential to be the cornerstone of downtown redevelopment...for that we reason we need to insist that it is of the highest quality in all aspects: design, interaction with the street, massing, vibrancy, and finishing materials.

Maybe it will even shame the city into re-imaging its neighbour to the west, Centennial Square.

#169 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

>>Done correctly<< That would be great.

#170 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

I'm told Cento was unanimously approved at last month's Advisory Design Panel.

We should see Centro's first appearance before Committee of the Whole in early March, possibly on the 6th.

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

Unless of course Townline needs to "re-envison" this one too. Iam sorry, but their handling of the Hudson project to date has made me suspicious of all their moves now.

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Because you are all so good I will give you...a fly-thru movie of the new Centro design.

OK I am being REALLY good. Can I see the above as (maybe) promised?

#173 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

I will upload the video tomorrow.

Centro passed CotW this morning but it was another close vote. MCMP's Mark Whitehead had a rough morning with both his projects being grilled by Council and passing by a slim margin. The no votes in both cases were Chandler, Madoff and Fortin.
They were very concerned the developer was maxing out the height, saying the 35% increase in height was merely a possibility, not a guarantee. They also demanded to see a pro forma, but the Planning Dept. said that pro formas generally aren't disclosed here because they contain private proprietary financial information. There is however, a calculation using the land lift analysis and amenity contribution that can be used to determine value for land.

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the updates Rob. I hope all of this concern is worth it. I still have my doubts anything will get built on the Centro site. If it does, I hope it gets a better name. ;)

#175 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Sorry for the quality--this is raw video shot directly off the screen.

#176 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Awesome Rob. Thanks for posting these videos. I love the inclusion of non-existent projects (to date) such as Gateway Green and the Hudson towers. By the way, has Centro always been a 3-tower proposal? I have only seen 2-tower massing models so far. Who wants to guess if/when this project will actually get built?

#177 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

There is still only two towers.

#178 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

There is still only two towers.

In the second video clip the "tower" on Cormorant Street must be L-shaped making it appear like it is itself 2 towers. Does anyone else see this?

#179 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thumbs up for that video, Rob. I know what a pain in the ass it is to upload video.

#180 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the updates Rob. I hope all of this concern is worth it. I still have my doubts anything will get built on the Centro site. If it does, I hope it gets a better name. ;)

Call it the Interurban after the sites original use as a depot for the Interurban Streetcars that use to run from Victoria to Deep Cove (North Saanich). Any development on this site should reflect its past and acknowledge it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users