Photo

South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#141 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Edit: Accidentally pressed some buttons!

Edited by jessief, 16 June 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#142 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:18 AM

Pia Russell does her work and research deep in the archives of the library at the University of Victoria — but is making sure that the legacy of prejudice she's uncovering in old school textbooks is not forgotten.

Russell, a subject librarian at UVic's McPherson Library who is responsible for Indigenous studies, has started creating a digital collection of historical textbooks used in B.C. schools since 1866.

"There is a real public interest in these textbooks," she said.

"Textbooks really are a source, as newspapers are, of societal views throughout history."

The views of Indigenous people in those textbooks, which stretch back more than a century, were rarely positive.

At best they presented stereotypes, but the images and text often bled over into racist commentary.

"There was just this constant dehumanizing of Indigenous people," Russell said.

Other Canadian history textbooks completely omitted the culture and perspectives of Indigenous people.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...nnock-1.4800944
http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../1312739395550/

#143 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

^ And 600 years ago people thought that the earth was flat. 300 years ago people thought that it made sense to burn witches at the stake. 150 years ago people thought that it was ok to own slaves.

I don't understand the purpose of the research unless it is simply to show that as we become more developed and knowledgeable as a society our opinions and beliefs change.

#144 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:39 AM

Someone has climbed to the top of the Orca Chief in the shipyard. They are using a megaphone to complain about first nations issues.

There is a large police and fire presence.

(And yet again, pic was too big to upload. Sigh)

#145 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:40 AM

^ And 600 years ago people thought that the earth was flat. 300 years ago people thought that it made sense to burn witches at the stake. 150 years ago people thought that it was ok to own slaves.

I don't understand the purpose of the research unless it is simply to show that as we become more developed and knowledgeable as a society our opinions and beliefs change.

...making sure that the legacy of prejudice she's uncovering in old school textbooks is not forgotten.

That is the stated purpose - don't forget the bad things done in the past.  They happen to be reflected in old textbooks in this case.

Someone put the effort into making sure the Flat Earth, Witch Trials and Slavery were not forgotten and with effective results.

Although slavery still exists today.  And people are still killed for being suspected of witchcraft (no so much in North America anymore).  And the Flat Earth Society is still around...

I guess the purpose isn't to show how much opinions and beliefs change.  :P

#146 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

The Vancouver park board will work with the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations to identify traditional place names and find appropriate ways to recognize them.

The Vancouver park board has voted to recognize the indigenous names of parks and beaches in the city as the next step toward reconciliation.

Areas inhabited by First Nations that are within park board boundaries include westside beaches Spanish Banks, Jericho Beach, Locarno Beach and Kitsilano Beach, as well as communities around the edges of Stanley Park.

“I’ve been told all along the banks of Burrard Inlet, there were either communities or gathering places or food collecting places, and many of them would have names,” said park board chair Stuart Mackinnon, who put forward the motion, which was approved unanimously.

Mackinnon said it was important to recognize that First Nations people had place names long before, and that these spaces today reflect and celebrate the region’s original inhabitants.

The park board will work with the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations to identify traditional place names and find appropriate ways to recognize them.

https://theprovince....21-82a58255f40c

#147 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:07 AM

metis_captain_cook.jpg

I assume this is some sort of protest rather than an admission of Captain Cook into the Metis Nation. 

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:27 AM

Good catch!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

I assume this is some sort of protest rather than an admission of Captain Cook into the Metis Nation. 

Now see, I would have just assumed James was just trying to make a fashion statement.

#150 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for not trashing it 'T'. I have no issues with protests that do no damage.

Edited by spanky123, 23 October 2018 - 07:39 AM.

• rjag likes this

#151 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for not trashing it 'T'. I have no issues with protests that do no damage.

I think this sort of action is clever and entertaining. I enjoy seeing him dressed up.

If you see him wearing a Pacific FC jersey next year for opening day... well, maybe I'd better not announce it so publicly. ;)

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#152 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

Other possible meanings, depending on one's socio-cultural background:

- red scarves and bibs are commonly placed on statues in the Buddhist tradition

- enthusiastic knitters have left scarves on statues during cold snaps for people to take freely

- a bandana worn on the right side was/is part of a homosexual code, indicating that the wearer is a "top." The "Leatherman's Handbook" assigns further meaning to a red bandana, related to a certain, erm, hands on kink...

Edited by Jackerbie, 23 October 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#153 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

..- a bandana worn on the right side was/is part of a homosexual code, indicating that the wearer is a "top." ...

Isn't the bandana warn in the right-side pocket on the derriere of one's trousers in that case?

#154 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

Isn't the bandana warn in the right-side pocket on the derriere of one's trousers in that case?

Hard to stick a bandana in a pair of bronze trousers*  :)

*Bronze Trousers will be playing at the Tinto Rocks Festival 2019

• Nparker, rjag and gstc84 like this

#155 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:57 AM

This is the Duke of Wellington in Glasgow. The authorities gave up on removing the cone as it kept reappearing every weekend

800px-Wfm_duke_of_wellington.jpg

#156 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

The Red Sash worn like that is a symbol of revolution

#157 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:52 PM

I'm pretty sure it means he joined the local faction of the Bloods.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:13 PM

Nah, he was a pirate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#159 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

UVic will receive a 70 foot tall totem pole as part of a UN-led Indigenous Languages project. The 800 year old tree is on its way to Port Alberni and will be carved by Tim Paul.

via: https://www.pqbnews....J6faZ_VV_8LjE9s

LRpole.jpg

#160 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

I am sure the atheists will be up in arms over this flagrant display of religious iconography in a publically funded university!

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users