Photo

Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
1879 replies to this topic

#41 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:03 AM

Free WiFi for patients and visitors is coming to the following hospitals on September 6th:
- Victoria General Hospital
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (Victoria)
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital (Victoria)
- Lady Minto / Gulf Islands Hospital (Saltspring Island)
- Cowichan District Hospital (Duncan)
- West Coast General Hospital (Port Alberni)

My sister was in Cowichan hospital in Duncan with her terminal illness and the only thing that allowed her some satisfaction was being able pass the time watching  videos and movies on her iPhone. We paid a lot for that access but it was worth it to us because it helped her get through some very unpleasant medical experiences. For my periodical day-long outpatient visits to RJH, I've just been loading up articles to read on my chromebook, conveniently using the Pocket app, but having some internet access during the stays will be a bit better.

• todd likes this
:)

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:35 AM

Yes, it will make a huge difference.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

I spent a 4 or 5 day vacation at RJH a few years ago. I had a bunch of movies loaded on my lap top but quickly burned through those. Then I got this "brilliant" idea to create a personal hot-spot with my phone and used my data to download a ton more to the lap top. After being discharged I almost suffered another heart attack when I got my Telus bill and saw the overage charges.

Edited by Langford Rat, 30 August 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

I see the folks at Victoria Buzz used the VV post as their “sources” and even reprinted our list. Without credit, of course. The writer was once again Brishti Basu who has a knack for lifting content.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:04 AM

Heads-up! We've got the skinny here.

⚠️Power outage planned for Victoria General Hospital⚠️

The Victoria General Hospital will be experiencing a planned power outage starting at 6PM on October 19th and lasting until 6AM on October 20th.

The outage will be conducted in order to carry out the replacement of high-voltage electrical equipment. As a result of this work hospital operations will be disrupted.

Patients and visitors will continue to have access to the hospital and the emergency ward.

Limited lighting will be available throughout the facility resembling a weather-related outage with staff carrying flashlights to assist in their duties. Medical imaging will be reduced to the operation of a single MRI, CT and X-Ray scanner.

Food services will be disrupted during the outage including the Tim Hortons café on the main level near the main entrance.

Know it all.

#46 Veblen

Veblen
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:33 AM

Going to post this rant here, since I’ve yet to find any entity talking about this on any commentable platform.

Anyone following the VIHA intervention in Retirement Concepts’ care homes? MSM commentary is conveniently blaming the Chinese buyers at Anbang, while completely ignoring that Retirement Concepts has been a pox on the long-term care industry for years/decades. Can’t get sufficient staff to meet your contractually-obligated staffing levels? Maybe we should be looking at the publicly-accessible HEU contracts that clearly outline how Retirement Concepts is allowed to pay $4-$6 an hour less than members of the facilities bargaining agreement (where care aides are making around $25/hour and have industry-appropriate benefits); contracts signed PRIOR to Anbang’s takeover. This situation of terrible contracts has been the status quo for a decade+. Retirement Concepts contracts all services to itself, a watershed happening in this sector (Google is your friend here). This happened years before ownership of a Canadian nursing home chain was but a twinkle in Anbang’s eyes. The profit-first motives leading to these vulnerable seniors’ poor care is a 100% made-in-BC decision, from the original push for contracting out of health care services under the Campbell govt (full disclosure: I’m a B.C. Liberal voter) to the current day situation of inadequate care levels. Anbang bought prime BC real estate and a turn key operation; nothing more. They left the existing management structure 100% in place. We can lambast Anbang all we want for not injecting fresh capital into the operations they took over but that would be the most hypocritical double standard possible when we allow other B.C. contact operators to run similarly understaffed and profit-oriented operations. The truth is that this fiasco with poor care for our 90+ year old seniors is a made-in-BC problem. Anbang has had the double-whammy misfortune of buying a bottom-feeding chain (how could they have avoided this, in all honesty, when nobody will publicly aver to this?) and then having its own CEO arrested (a not-uncommon occurrence in China lately). But none of this is the fault of the Chinese, despite MSM articles. Retirement Concepts has had care homes taken over by health authorities before: long before Anbang finance folk even knew what long-term care is. The Chinese are an easy scapegoat, but the truth is BC residents—who were left in charge of Retirement Concepts’ care homes following the purchase—are responsible for the mistreatment of fellow BC seniors. Feds and provincial approvers should have considered the possibility that the Chinese govt had a non-zero chance of intervening in any Chinese company, but the fact such an event did come to pass has absolutely nothing to do with how the B.C. operators of the care homes are just continuing on a tradition of cost cutting at the expense of out province’s most vulnerable.

(Phew, stepping down from the soapbox.)
  • Lorenzo, GaryRanson and Tailor like this

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:07 AM

Nearly Half of Victoria Seven-Year-Olds Not Up-to-Date on Immunizations

Victoria and Salt Spring Island show rock-bottom rates of childhood vaccination  

The previous year has seen a rash of preventable disease outbreaks striking Vancouver Island. In March, a case of whooping cough was confirmed at Victoria’s Mount Douglas Secondary School. A measles outbreak struck Greater Victoria in May.

In September, a “cluster” of mumps cases were identified in the Tofino area.

And according to immunization data provided to The Capital by the Island Health Authority, Victoria continues to remain particularly vulnerable should more outbreaks flare up.

As of the most recent data from 2018, only 56% of seven-year-old children in Victoria were found to be up-to-date on six categories of vaccines; measles, mumps, rubella (German measles), varicella (chickenpox), hepatitis B and D/T/aP/IPV (diphtheria, acellular pertussis, tetanus, polio).

https://capnews.ca/v...3e1a7-119762929

The rate is well below Health Canada’s goal of 95% immunization. It’s at that rate that a population can be assured of “herd immunity”; essentially, so few people become capable of transmitting a disease that outbreaks are never able to take hold.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 November 2019 - 07:11 AM.

#48 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

i'll admit those stats are kinda scary... and well below what they should be...  we would never not vaccinate a pet we care about yet there is a whole population that won't vaccinate their children... (both my kid and puppy are fully up to date with vaccines)

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#49 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

How are they able to enrol their unvaccinated kids in school? When we applied to school for our daughter we had to bring in documentation that listed all her immunizations. Granted it was for an independent school, do the public schools not require a copy of the records? 

• Rob Randall likes this

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

i'll admit those stats are kinda scary... and well below what they should be...  we would never not vaccinate a pet we care about yet there is a whole population that won't vaccinate their children... (both my kid and puppy are fully up to date with vaccines)

that's an interesting viewpoint.

we get our dog a vaccination because we think it's good for the dog and we don't question the science.  we shrug our shoulders and say pet vaccinations on the whole are very beneficial with no downside.  or no considered downside.  

and we are not too concerned about the dog's discomfort at getting a needle.  in this sense we don't anthropomorphize in that way like we do in other ways with pets.

but we question the science with our little humans.  and we feel their pain on getting the needle and we also overemphasize a tiny tiny tiny potential downside that's completely scientifically shown to be insignificant statistically.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 November 2019 - 03:59 PM.

• Rob Randall and pennymurphy2000 like this

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:24 PM

Urgent, primary care centre planned for Victoria

Monday, November 25, 2019 12:30 PM
People living in Victoria will soon have better access to team-based everyday health care with the opening of the city’s first urgent and primary care centre (UPCC).

“The new urgent and primary care centre will help connect more people in Victoria with the health care they need, when they need it,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “By increasing the number of publicly funded health-care professionals in the community, thousands of people who currently lack a primary care provider will benefit from increased access to same-day appointments for urgent needs and improved access to regular, ongoing primary care into the future.”

The urgent and primary care centre will be operated by the Island Health Authority, which has leased space at the James Bay Community Project, 547 Michigan St., and has started renovations. Expected to open in March 2020, the UPCC will provide extended hours of care 365 days a year, with primary care providers supporting both attachment and access to services.

“This is great news for the community and the capital region as a whole,” said Carole James, MLA for Victoria-Beacon Hill. “Not only will this urgent and primary care centre bring much needed services to Victoria, but it will also help to reduce congestion at the emergency departments in our region.”

The urgent and primary care centre in James Bay will recruit general practitioners, nurse practitioners, nurses and mental health and substance-use clinicians to improve access to same-day care and provide ongoing primary care through booked appointments. Using a team-based care approach, once fully operational, it is estimated the centre will provide tens of thousands of patient visits per year.

This is the 14th urgent and primary care centre to be announced under the government’s primary care strategy and the third in the Island Health authority’s region. The first centre is located in Langford and has served more than 23,000 patient visits since opening in October 2018. The second centre opened in Nanaimo in June 2019 and is expected to serve up to 25,000 patient visits per year.

The new James Bay health centre is the former site of Whiteye Community Health Centre. The two general practitioners from the former clinic have relocated to the Yates-Quadra Medical Clinic downtown taking their patients with them. All patients were notified by the physicians. There were no service disruptions. Island Health has assumed the lease and operational responsibilities for this clinic.

Quick Facts:

- Primary care is the day-to-day health care given by a health-care provider.
- Urgent primary care is the care that people need within 12 to 24 hours, for conditions such as sprains, urinary problems, ear infections, minor cuts or burns.
- Urgent and primary care centres are part of a comprehensive strategy to transform B.C.’s health system by bringing together and co-ordinating with health-care providers, services and programs to make it easier for people to access care, receive followup and connect to other services they may need.
- The primary care strategy will see government fund and recruit 200 family doctors and 200 nurse practitioners, and hire 50 clinical pharmacists, to help provide all British Columbians with faster and improved access to health care.

Know it all.

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

It’s i

#53 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:14 PM

Urgent, primary care centre planned for Victoria

Monday, November 25, 2019 12:30 PM
People living in Victoria will soon have better access to team-based everyday health care with the opening of the city’s first urgent and primary care centre (UPCC).

“The new urgent and primary care centre will help connect more people in Victoria with the health care they need, when they need it,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health. “By increasing the number of publicly funded health-care professionals in the community, thousands of people who currently lack a primary care provider will benefit from increased access to same-day appointments for urgent needs and improved access to regular, ongoing primary care into the future.”

The urgent and primary care centre will be operated by the Island Health Authority, which has leased space at the James Bay Community Project, 547 Michigan St., and has started renovations. Expected to open in March 2020, the UPCC will provide extended hours of care 365 days a year, with primary care providers supporting both attachment and access to services.

“This is great news for the community and the capital region as a whole,” said Carole James, MLA for Victoria-Beacon Hill. “Not only will this urgent and primary care centre bring much needed services to Victoria, but it will also help to reduce congestion at the emergency departments in our region.”

The urgent and primary care centre in James Bay will recruit general practitioners, nurse practitioners, nurses and mental health and substance-use clinicians to improve access to same-day care and provide ongoing primary care through booked appointments. Using a team-based care approach, once fully operational, it is estimated the centre will provide tens of thousands of patient visits per year.

This is the 14th urgent and primary care centre to be announced under the government’s primary care strategy and the third in the Island Health authority’s region. The first centre is located in Langford and has served more than 23,000 patient visits since opening in October 2018. The second centre opened in Nanaimo in June 2019 and is expected to serve up to 25,000 patient visits per year.

The new James Bay health centre is the former site of Whiteye Community Health Centre. The two general practitioners from the former clinic have relocated to the Yates-Quadra Medical Clinic downtown taking their patients with them. All patients were notified by the physicians. There were no service disruptions. Island Health has assumed the lease and operational responsibilities for this clinic.

Quick Facts:

- Primary care is the day-to-day health care given by a health-care provider.
- Urgent primary care is the care that people need within 12 to 24 hours, for conditions such as sprains, urinary problems, ear infections, minor cuts or burns.
- Urgent and primary care centres are part of a comprehensive strategy to transform B.C.’s health system by bringing together and co-ordinating with health-care providers, services and programs to make it easier for people to access care, receive followup and connect to other services they may need.
- The primary care strategy will see government fund and recruit 200 family doctors and 200 nurse practitioners, and hire 50 clinical pharmacists, to help provide all British Columbians with faster and improved access to health care.

Interesting timing on the provincial announcement as at tonight's Esquimalt Council meeting, official hearing for 899 Esquimalt Road development that would include space for a medical clinic on first floor. Mayor Desjardins was earlier quoted as saying she wanted a Urgent Primary Care Centre in Esquimalt. 

:)

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

547 Michigan St was already a medical clinic and primary care office. Several GPs retired and their patients were stranded. I wonder if this new clinic will take those patients back?

#55 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

547 Michigan St was already a medical clinic and primary care office. Several GPs retired and their patients were stranded. I wonder if this new clinic will take those patients back?

Depends if they can successfully attract any GPs. It's next to impossible to attract doctors to Victoria

#56 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

Depends if they can successfully attract any GPs. It's next to impossible to attract doctors to Victoria

i wonder if it would be easier for them to attract part time, retired doctors, where they can put in 1 or 2 shifts a week without having to run a whole practice.. i know a big issue with attracting GP's is having to set up and run a whole practice...

Edited by Midnightly, 26 November 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#57 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

i wonder if it would be easier for them to attract part time, retired doctors, where they can put in 1 or 2 shifts a week without having to run a whole practice.. i know a big issue with attracting GP's is having to set up and run a whole practice...

I wonder if this model will be more attractive then. Island Health with have health care administrators doing to the day to day running of the place. The doctors are employees who just focus on patient care.
  • Midnightly likes this

#58 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

That's the same announcement they made when opening up the medical centre in Langford/Colwood. They were touring the building and saying how great it was going be for everyone. It never opened. St. Anthony's walk in medical clinic converted in to an urgent care practice and that is the one the government is saying served 23K patients.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#59 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

Retiring GP’s can’t even *give away* turn key practices. I’m not sure what the issue with attracting GP’s is. Probably money.

Matt.

#60 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

Retiring GP’s can’t even *give away* turn key practices. I’m not sure what the issue with attracting GP’s is. Probably money.

Matt.

It's simply too attractive to specialize

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users