• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

To refresh memories:

Johnston said he talked with Agricultural Land Commission staff and was told the Glen Meadows plan is unique in B.C. “They said to me I’m the first person since the commission was established to walk through the door with a proposal to turn a golf course back into a farm.”

A letter from the Criddles to members of Glen Meadows, which added curling and tennis during its first decade, said membership numbers have been going down. “The time has come that we need to look at some possible alternatives,” the letter said. “These processes do not happen overnight, so in the meantime we plan to continue the day-to-day operations as normal.”

The Criddles said Glen Meadows has created “49 years of wonderful memories” and they would love to create more wonderful memories as regular business continues.

Johnston said an application for rezoning and an official community plan amendment for the property has been made to the municipality of North Saanich. “The general proposal is to return it to produce food locally.”

The plan calls for some subdivision, Johnston said, but all of the houses would have a footprint on farmable lots.

“At the end of the day, 85 or 90 per cent of the land, even with the housing, is still returned to food production,” he said.

“You would be returning a 130-acre golf course that no one gets any food off of now back to food production to feed probably a couple [of] thousand people.”

North Saanich Mayor Alice Finall said she has heard general details of the plan, and expects it to come before council within a few weeks. She said a return to agricultural activity at Glen Meadows is “a lovely idea.”

“It sounds tremendously exciting to me.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.1JdiaTyY.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

Glen Meadows development scheme rejected

North Saanich Mayor Alice Finall said she has heard general details of the plan, and expects it to come before council within a few weeks. She said a return to agricultural activity at Glen Meadows is “a lovely idea.”

“It sounds tremendously exciting to me.”

Just not exciting enough to allow for a change of usage.

#123 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

I guess the "some subdivision" was not acceptable.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#124 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

I guess the "some subdivision" was not acceptable.

Ms. Finall believes the last house approved to be built in North Saanich was hers.

#125 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

"membership numbers have been going down"

No kidding. When you purposely do no maintenance, no improvements and tell the membership you want to shut down what the heck do you think will happen. They have been neglecting this property for years.

They have had two offers to purchase the property and retain it as a golf course/tennis club/curling club but they turned both of them down because the purchasers refused to agree to hire the family members to work there in perpetuity. One offer was from the Jawls, and they know how to run a golf course.

They had a very active and robust membership but they gave up their memberships and just pay green fees now because of the actions of the family.

Also when Panorama rec center was going in they were going to add a curling facility, but the Criddles protested vehemently saying it would cause irreparable harm to their business, so if they shut it down there is no curling facility.

A pox on their house.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

Foot golf now happens at Cedar Hill.

http://www.timescolo...ition-1.2080275

#127 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

Looks fun, but I didn't realize Cedar Hill had excess capacity.  Back when I was a junior it was always busy and was advertised as the most used golf course in Canada.

#128 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Royal Oak is starting foot golf next month as well.

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

Looks fun, but I didn't realize Cedar Hill had excess capacity.  Back when I was a junior it was always busy and was advertised as the most used golf course in Canada.

They said they used to have 80,000 rounds, now about 40,000.

#130 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:14 PM

Golf courses are suffering, and foot golf is just a gimmick to get some extra revenue off of some of the edges of the course they don't use.

Just like frizbee golf, it won't last.

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

It seems a bit odd. But whatever. I think all the courses would be better off to really enhance their junior golf programs. Make more golfers locally.
  • lanforod likes this

#132 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Golf courses are suffering, and foot golf is just a gimmick to get some extra revenue off of some of the edges of the course they don't use.

Just like frizbee golf, it won't last.

There isn't disc golf in Victoria because the NIMBY's have killed every attempt to do it right.  It's an awesome, free sport and gives the stoner youth some physical activity.

• Mike K., Hotel Mike and thundergun like this

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

Royal Oak Golf Club may not reopen following winter closure

http://victoria.citi...winter-closure/

The Royal Oak Golf Club near Saanich Commonwealth Place may not reopen following this year's winter closure, according to a memorandum submitted to club members by operations staff. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

Royal Oak Golf Club may not reopen following winter closure

http://victoria.citi...winter-closure/

The Royal Oak Golf Club near Saanich Commonwealth Place may not reopen following this year's winter closure, according to a memorandum submitted to club members by operations staff. [Full article]

Okay, that would seriously suck. I really like that little course.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

Okay, that would seriously suck. I really like that little course.

Ya, it's nice.  And they had picked up a bit of a bump from Prospect.  

#136 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

Golf courses over large swaths of North America are struggling with falling membership, and ultimately closing, as older members aren't being replaced by younger players at anywhere near the levels required in order to sustain them. Offhand between my cadres of friends and acquaintances here, in Vancouver and Calgary I know exactly one person who belongs to a club in Coquitlam. Beyond that I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone I know in my immediate circle who golfs at all, never mind on a semi regular basis.....

#137 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

AllseeingEye, on 16 Feb 2016 - 7:44 PM, said:

Golf courses over large swaths of North America are struggling with falling membership, and ultimately closing, as older members aren't being replaced by younger players at anywhere near the levels required in order to sustain them. Offhand between my cadres of friends and acquaintances here, in Vancouver and Calgary I know exactly one person who belongs to a club in Coquitlam. Beyond that I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone I know in my immediate circle who golfs at all, never mind on a semi regular basis.....

You gotta meet better people....... :)

• AllseeingEye likes this

#138 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

^^OTOH I would be hard pressed to name an acquaintance/friend who doesn't golf.

#139 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

Millennials again ruining the boomer world view. They shun golf even more than cars. Can't take golf clubs on a bike.

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Not so fast, Poncho. I know lots of millennials who golf. They don't have memberships but they play a round every few weeks in the summer.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users