Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Cosmopolitan | Rental, commercial | 5-storeys | Canceled

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

You can read more about the City's handling of the project here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

How and why does she get re-elected?:confused:

I like Pam Madoff. I don't agree with most of her views, but I think she cares, and she has people behind her views in every corner of the city.

Let's be a little careful about attacks here, some seem very nasty. You would not want to read some of these comments about yourself.

If I saw someone ask a question like that of me at my job I would simply answer it since it's a reasonable question. So we should only praise her? All he did was question her competence which seems fair given her baffling, hypocritical positions sometimes. Asking, "Why is Pam Madoff such a stupid ****ing *****?" is nasty, but asking, "how and why does she keep getting elected" is devoid of malice. Also, since when is passion the criteria for main criterion for public office? I don't doubt that council members have passion for helping, the more important question should be, are their decisions actually helping the people of Victoria? Because I think far too often the answer is no. How about we hire people that have qualities like integrity, common sense, and logic on their side-qualities that Ms. Madoff is clearly lacking.

I find your comments baffling. Since when did you become an apologist for Pam? :confused:
In chains by Keynes

#163 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

A proposal to turn this site into a surface parking lot goes to the planning committee Thursday; staff recommends denying the application . :-)

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

That's right, the developer had planned to create a surface parking lot at the site until the project is one day ready to be developed. The original building had to be demo'ed and City Hall killed the rental application for whatever reason.

But the application is a moot point for the time-being considering Chard Development is likely to use the property throughout the construction phase of The Sovereign (note in the photo below that materials are currently stored there).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Don't know the proposal or the neighbourhood, so I can't really comment intelligently.

I too cannot comment on that proposal, but I can say that supporting any idea doesn't mean I have to support all implementations of that idea.

#166 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Sounds like the city is trying to set-up a situation similar to Fort and Quadra. So they can't build on it and can't put a parking lot on it. I guess vacant junk pile lot 10 metres from the tourist strip makes the most sense.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#167 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

The "Iron & Whyte" condo building that I mentioned a few times earlier in this thread is basically finished now. I've said it before many times, I'll say it again: this is the sort of infill project that Victoria should be doing like crazy. Painted brick, tall windows, Juliet balconies, and a small setback on the top floor. It calls to mind a historic warehouse or some such thing but it doesn't go overboard. There's nothing faux or ridiculous about it. It looks traditional but it's not trying to fool anybody. It's still very obviously a modern building.

picture by entheosfog at skyscraperpage.com

#168 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

The "Iron & Whyte" condo building...is the sort of infill project that Victoria should be doing like crazy...

I entirely agree aastra; unless of course they obscure views of the Sooke Hills for certain city councillors while they are out driving their cars, in which case it must be verbotten. ;)

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

The Cosmopolitan project has been officially canceled and replaced with The Argus, a four storey office building with groundfloor retail.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users