• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#61 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

Heck, make it a green wall!

good suggestion....done.

you never know who is reading these forums.

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

Nice!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

Any news on this project? Is it just an idea or something they're actively trying to get done?

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Since TV is an architect with the firm designing this project, I take it his comment means they're adding a green wall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

there was a DRA meeting this morning....from all reports it went well....will go to the standard victoria committeerama over the next month or so.

the project has gone through extensive design development over the past month...some architect in winnipeg did it ;)

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:10 PM

Psssh, don't be so modest ;)

Now give us updated renderings, post haste!

Know it all.

#67 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yes, we saw the new plan this morning. It is similar in massing to the previous version but much funkier--the townhomes present a dynamic face to Fort Street and the roof of the tower has a dramatic tilted overhang with a cutout circle for a rooftop tree.

I will try to post some renderings tomorrow.

#68 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:07 PM

Ok, it's highly unusual to quote oneself..but what the hell! From page 2:

/\/\ exactly...hasn't anyone heard Vibrant Victoria Commandment No. 3?!

Thou shalt no create a building with blank walls!

Seriously, the Fort street side is crap. It's as if they are targeting suburban buyers for those townhouses, by facing them to a "quiet" alley! Hello, you're right downtown on Fort street! Why not have the units face Fort, as they'll have a great view of the street life (sure some traffic), the businesses and buildings across the street.

As for the tower itself, as stated earlier it can't be the same height as View Towers. It's a nice enough building, would look good, but standard fair nowadays. It's like a typical Vancouver condo...well, at least that means it's not Edmonton quality!

EDIT: OK, I see Mr. Randall's reasoning. Well, why not design a building that can have windows on all sides within those limitations?! Obviously they are maximizing the space by using this design, but then perhaps this design was the wrong one for the lot. Don't build right to the lot line and have windows and transfer that lost density to the tower. I just don't want to see a bunch of blank wall buildings around town. Still, if there are some design details on that blank wall as there appear to be in the rendering, all is not lost. Heck, make it a green wall! ;)

So if there is a green wall, and the townhouses are facing Fort street, is there a chance I can get a 50% discount on a unit..?! :D

and if this is true...we owe TV one hell of a night out on the town!

Rob, I hope the renderings match your great description! Exciting stuff!

#69 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

Sure. I could do that. If I knew what the hell you were talking about.
Pinging? Whassat?

do the following:
1. Hit WinKey+R
2. In the box, type 'cmd' (commadn if you are running Windows 98/ME)
3. Hit enter
4. Type 'ping' followed by the domain name ie: 'ping www.google.com'
5. Hit enter
6. If you see a bunch of long text indicating time, it worked. If you see "request timed out", you have a problem with your connection

Basically, ping is the equivalent of asking another computer "are you there?" If all the connections between you and it are working and both computers are up (and the remote computer has not blocked ping...) it will work.

#70 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:24 AM

psst... updated renderings pretty please?!
I saw the paper versions and wow! What a great improvement!
I want to oogle them some more, and also show them to a few other people.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

Rob, any chance you could post those updated renderings in the next couple of days?

Thanks in advance :)

Know it all.

#72 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

I'm sorry, I'll get them up tomorrow I promise.

#73 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:52 AM

I'm excited to see those pics again.

#74 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Drum roll...

#75 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

/bated breath.......

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Thank you all for being so patient. Because you are all so good I will give you some bonus pics of the new 608 Broughton design and maybe even a fly-thru movie of the new Centro design.

Fort Street:

Close up of the Fort St. retail and townhouse units:

Another Fort view looking the other way. Note View Towers in the background:

Here's the View St. side:

Here's a close up of the View St. side. Yes, that's George Bush and Barney:

#77 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

WOW! It's so modern retro looking. I think I like it!

Not so sure about the street level interaction on Fort, though. This area needs all the help it can get with street level vibrancy. Those pillars and that gap separating the existing building should be ZAPPED!

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Me like.

#79 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Yeah it is awesome. But I agree the pillars draw the windows off of Fort Street The rest is just pure jetsons coolness.

#80 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

Those pillars and that gap separating the existing building should be ZAPPED!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the pillars being redesigned already. But as for the gap, do you mean the one between the proposed THs and Lund's Auctioneers? If so, that'll stay since it's the mid-block walkway connecting Fort & View. Not sure about the one on the other (East) side -- could be setback issues. That little building won't stay there forever.

PS: FWIW, I also like this one a lot.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users