[Downtown Victoria] Capitol Six building | Sold - October 2015

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#41 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

The conical window roof on the corner, which was rebuilt recently, may be worth saving but I don't think the rest of the building is.

Chard may also develop his new 800 block Broughton St. property first.

#42 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Chard may also develop his new 800 block Broughton St. property first.

Which property is that? The old VanCity building? It's not listed on Chard's website.

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

So when does the auction on the A/V equipment start? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#44 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Which property is that? The old VanCity building? It's not listed on Chard's website.

No that is still owned by Vancity (for now). Chard has the old Black Press building and adjacent parking lot.

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I expect the Black Press building work to go on ahead of anything on these sites.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#46 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

No that is still owned by Vancity (for now). Chard has the old Black Press building and adjacent parking lot.

Ahh, cool thanks.

#47 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

The Empire at University Heights will be next to close. Most likely still open because they can not get out of the lease without huge expense. They could shut down Capital 6 because they own the land and I would bet there is a secret deal in the works.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

#49 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

I remember when the Capitol 6 opened it was a big deal. Largest theatre on the island at the time

First movie I ever went to was in the old capitol theatre

There was also a fairly decent eatery on the ground floor called Famous Charlies

#50 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Many evenings spent in my youth at Johnny Zees circa roughly 1988 in that building.

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

The first movie I saw in the Capital Six was "Raiders of the Lost Ark", which is still one of my all time favourites.

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Many evenings spent in my youth at Johnny Zees circa roughly 1988 in that building.

I guess that means that the arcade next door will close now as well.

#53 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

The Empire at University Heights will be next to close. Most likely still open because they can not get out of the lease without huge expense. They could shut down Capital 6 because they own the land and I would bet there is a secret deal in the works.

Could be a deal in the works but I don't think that the Government could possibly lease more space and they already lease everything that they have from the Jawl's!

#54 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Not sorry to see this DUMP gone.

https://www.youtube....h?v=S3zShjyaTr8

#55 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but the theatres all had pretty small screens, & the street level wasn't very transparent, creating a lousy relationship to the street. compare the atrium just across the street. atrium's sidewalk canopy & bioswales don't hurt either.

#56 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

I guess that means that the arcade next door will close now as well.

The arcade is not in the theatre so no it is not closing the street level business are not owned by empire they are independent businesses renting space

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

The theatre property isn't in Chard's plans. David Chard also said “We’re proceeding with our own residential project with retail at grade that would front onto Yates and onto View...

So unless someone decides to re-invent the Empire as a theatre, or invest some signficant $$$ into renovating it for retail/office use, one suspects this space will sit mostly derelict for some time. Sad. :(

#58 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

The ramp was always cool but I couldn't remember any specific movies I saw there. Then I remembered I saw Titanic there for the first time last year. & again for the next 3 tuesdays.

Moviegoers say goodbye to Capitol 6 on Victoria theatre’s last night
Michael D. Reid / Times Colonist
October 17, 2013 08:57 PM

The last picture show at the Empire Capitol 6 Thursday night was The Spectacular Now.

It was “the spectacular then,” however, that was on the minds of a small but passionate crowd of filmgoers who bid the multiplex farewell before it faded to black.

Empire Co. confirmed Wednesday that it is closing the Yates and Blanshard multiplex, a striking, domed brick-and-glass movie house that created a sensation when it opened in 1981 where the venerable Capitol Theatre had stood for 60 years.

“People are coming in with a big emotional reaction,” said a staffer who declined to be identified. “People want to remember how it was 15 years ago. It obviously doesn’t have the same grandeur as it did in the Famous Players days.”

http://www.timescolo...-night-1.663557

#59 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

So unless someone decides to re-invent the Empire as a theatre, or invest some signficant $$$ into renovating it for retail/office use, one suspects this space will sit mostly derelict for some time. Sad. :(

Well, it sounds like the existing ground floor tenants will be staying for a while, so hopefully the building is kept in good condition. The glass dome gets coated in seagull crap and is cleaned at least twice a year, so hopefully they keep that up.

The reality is that it is a purpose built theatre, which means it would be quite difficult to renovate and repurpose. It's not a particularly nice building, so I suspect it will get torn down at some point when the right buyer comes along.

It doesn't look like anybody is going to step in and run it as a theatre, so it's just a waiting game now until someone has a vision for the land.

I hate to see businesses close, but it really was a bad theatre.

#60 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

No more sleeping in the alcove...

A pretty serious and expensive install with what appears to be reflective mylar behind the bars - it looks a lot better than plywood.

17392572503_492d0da5ad_h.jpg

18013880541_30471223cf_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 23 May 2015 - 11:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users