• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

Floor slab is now done.

Visit the Crag X site for new, pics etc. (Thanks Dimitrios)

There's a time lapse of the old building being demo'd, pics of construction including s shot of a brick archway that open into a space under the sidewalk

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

This is phenomenal! 

crag x 2.jpeg

crag x.jpeg

• Baro and Nparker like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Wouldn't the arch just lead to a through-the-sidewalk loading area?  Like still exist in some parts of town?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

Could be. Where do we have other examples of this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

Almost everywhere you see the purple small bricks. Those are light prisms for underground areas under the sidewalk.
  • Matt R. likes this

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

is that right, hey? Cool.

Know it all.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

Could be. Where do we have other examples of this?

This whole block has under-sidewalk storage.

https://www.google.c...HLLaNeQ0Vug!2e0

And I think on Yates there are steel doors.

Pretty sure the Fields store, now the dollar store on Douglas has or had steel doors on the sidewalk to a loading elevator.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

In front of the Bulk barn on Yates also. ... Steel doors and have seen it open and in use.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

In front of the Bulk barn on Yates also. ... Steel doors and have seen it open and in use.

Ah, that's right...

HERE >  >    https://www.google.c...25b3J3d0D4A!2e0

Ya, they open upwards and stand 90 degrees up when in use.  I think a chain protects you from walking in from the building side of the hole, as you load in from the street side.

sidewalk-cellar-hatch-doors-new-york-300

#30 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

The whole block of Broad St, opposite Pagliacci's . Basically all three sides of the Yarrow building.

Edited by Linear Thinker, 28 March 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

The whole block of Broad St, opposite Pagliacci's . Basically all three sides of the Yarrow building.

I think those chutes go back to the day when they used to deliver coal for the furnace room.

#32 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

they're skylights made so basements could get light before there was electric street lighting. the glass bricks were originally colourless but turn purple over time due their manganese content & exposure to uv light(?).

http://seattleglasso...-temporary.html

Edited by amor de cosmos, 28 March 2015 - 02:31 PM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

I think those chutes go back to the day when they used to deliver coal for the furnace room.

That's right. I can't find it right now but floating around is a great pic of Standard Furniture on Yates receiving a coal shipment.

#34 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

There are more extended basements under the sidewalks of Victoria than perhaps many people realize. There are some around Market Square, for instance, that have no glass bricks or trapdoors to show for it. Likewise along Government St. nearby, and on Blanshard.

#35 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

does victoria need an underground tour? :banana:

• Nparker likes this

#36 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

I believe there was an underground network used by Pig Iron Jack to smuggle in Chinese slaves of his boats. Perhaps some of these spots are remnants of that infrastructure.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

There are more extended basements under the sidewalks of Victoria than perhaps many people realize. There are some around Market Square, for instance, that have no glass bricks or trapdoors to show for it. Likewise along Government St. nearby, and on Blanshard.

Are these storage areas still used?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

More on the sidewalk prisms.

http://www.islandnet...pics/prisms.htm

#39 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

Are these storage areas still used?

Some are. The one under the sidewalk on Wharf is used by the various businesses on the west side to store their garbage/recycling/composting.

#40 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:58 AM

does victoria need an underground tour? :banana:

I've taken that tour and its worth the time.

In Seattle, property owners are responsible for the sidewalks along their frontages.

Way back when, the early sewage system in the downtown was subject to backing up whenever the tide came in.

Soulution: makes the pipes higher.

On many streets the city built walls at the curbs on both sides of the road, and filled in between to make the road higher (in which the pipes were buried).

Because the owners had to build there own sidewalks, in some places the new road was over 10 feet higher than sidewalks.

On the tour they show you photos of people climbing up and down ladders to get from the old low sidewalk up to the street.

When the building owners finally built sidewalks to match the road, they preserved the space underneath to maintain access.

Hence there is more of a "network" of spaces to walk around in,

In Victoria, as mentioned, the space is there to load in and out of the basements.

Lots of hatches were just to load coal from the road into the basement for a furnace/boiler.

Victoria has a bylaw where if owners want to use the space, they are supposed to register and pay a recurring lease fee.

Basically opposite to the Seattle situation.

In the case of finding unknown under sidewalk spaces in Victoria, owners can either sign up to lease the space and be responsible to make whatever improvements are required, or the space is walled off at the property line, and sidewalk portion is filled in.

I know that in the space under the sidewalk on Broad St along the Yarrow building, there is an old cast iron piece of printing equipment in there that is too big to get out of the building in one piece now.

• David Bratzer likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users