461 replies to this topic

#141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:10 PM

I’ll have you know those are magnets.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:34 AM

https://downtownvict...ntown-delivers/

there appears to be no available list of downtown retailers participating in the free delivery system.

that seems like more than a bit of a shortcoming.

“Connect directly with retailers to find out whether they are offering free shipping through Downtown Delivers.”

- that seems like an awful lot of work with hundreds of retailers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2020 - 12:35 AM.

#143 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:40 AM

In keeping with the CoV's alternative transportation strategy, will those deliveries be made via bicycle or transit bus?

Deliveries are fulfilled by:

Maximum Express

NomadEx Bike Cargo (bicycle)

GeaZone Eco-Courier (EV or bicycle)

So... sometimes yes, likely depending on the distance.

#144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:51 AM

...So... sometimes yes, likely depending on the distance.

Even if I order a sofa?

#145 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:31 AM

Even if I order a sofa?

I would assume that furniture retailers already had a delivery service in place before the Downtown Delivers service launched. As VW's post states, “Connect directly with retailers to find out whether they are offering free shipping through Downtown Delivers.” :)

#146 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:17 AM

The TV clip of Jeff Bray, the DVBA head, indicated the program is for businesses that belong to the DVBA. That may be most retailers in downtown.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#147 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

The TV clip of Jeff Bray, the DVBA head, indicated the program is for businesses that belong to the DVBA. That may be most retailers in downtown.

its available to them all.  but they must sign up.  i just thought the dvba would publish a list as those sign-ups occur.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2020 - 11:20 AM.

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:20 PM

I was downtown this evening, and it dawned on me that there are no Christmas decorations this year along light standards, trees are not lit up on Government Street, and the festive atmosphere that downtown is known for at this time of year was shockingly absent.

I didn't know downtown would be so stark, in a year when we need light and cheer.

• rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#149 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:07 PM

MAybe they were already up, but were taken down to a chop shop in Beacon Hill Park?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#150 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:15 PM

My wife and I also noticed that the other day. Drive another nail into downtown COV

• Nparker likes this

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:06 PM

It’s pretty bleak, to be honest. Other communities put up lights and decorations, but downtown did not. That is quite remarkable.

Know it all.

#152 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:09 PM

Looks like Comrade Ben finally got his "bah humbug" Christmas.

#153 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:16 PM

They just magically came up with $100K for their pet project.  Coincidence?  

#154 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:44 AM

I was downtown this evening, and it dawned on me that there are no Christmas decorations this year along light standards, trees are not lit up on Government Street, and the festive atmosphere that downtown is known for at this time of year was shockingly absent.

I didn't know downtown would be so stark, in a year when we need light and cheer.

I did see crews putting them up along Government earlier this week...  Odd they weren't on...

#155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:39 PM

Coming out of downtown today I stopped to see if there were lights, and sure enough, lights strewn up on the trees but lacking enough cord length to be plugged in. I can confirm there are zero decorations on light standards, and the usually highly adorned Yates and Douglas intersection was completely void of any Christmas cheer.

Know it all.

#156 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:55 PM

Very true. OTOH I have noticed a large increase in the number of houses with decorative lights, I suspect because people are looking to activities like that to provide at least a semblance of a "normal" Christmas season in the absence of other things like the Santa Claus parade, the lighted trucks, Butchart Gardens etc.

Our street normally is typical - lights here but not across the street, lights two houses down but not beside them. This year its like a completely different neighborhood virtually every house up and down the block and around each corner is sporting Christmas lights which helps put people in a festive mood even in the midst of Covid.

Even those who normally put lights up have gone overboard this year as there are some really cool and elaborate displays out there. So much so in lieu of hitting up Butchart's this Saturday night the kidlin actually asked us if we could go drive around to see the Christmas lights - which I don't think I've done personally since my teens when our parents took the family back in the day to Candy Cane Lane, Satellite Drive and other well known local displays.

• Mike K. and On the Level like this

#157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:04 PM

yes yates and douglas usually has a big display on the poles.

#158 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:09 PM

Perhaps they could hire some artists to paint a Holiday Mural on government street......oh wait....

• Nparker likes this

#159 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:12 PM

Weird. Couple days ago the Dutch Bakery announced they were part of the “free delivery” scheme by then DVBA but today they reversed course and announced they are no longer part of it. They already offer free delivery, maybe there are some fees involved or some other hassle.

Matt.

#160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:14 PM

delicate prepared food by package courier does not seem perfect.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users