• 52,849 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:57 AM

big golf match today at noon.

#82 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:58 AM

tiger woods in surgery after a one car vehicle crash this morning.

#83 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:04 PM

Deja vu...

#84 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:04 PM

Man, Tiger can't seem to catch a break with his health

#85 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:15 PM

^Some of it is through foolishness more than plain bad luck.

Like his crazy Navy Seal obsession

I fear Tiger's later years will more resemble Mickey Mantle than Palmer or Niklaus.

#86 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:29 PM

the guy is a freak no doubt about that.

#87 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

Organizers plan for DC Bank Victoria Open in June; worries about golf event’s future

One thing does not necessarily lead to the other.

The 2021 Mackenzie Tour PGA Tour Canada — which includes the DC Bank Victoria Open presented by the Times Colonist from June 3 to 6 at Uplands — is still on beam for a season despite the cancellation of the RBC Canadian Open.

https://www.timescol...ture-1.24294156

But Dagg said he is more concerned about future years than this year and it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

“We are secure for this year, but we need a title co-sponsor [along with DC Bank] to make it whole for the years to come,” said Dagg, one of four co-founders of the event nearly four decades ago, and the leading member of the board of directors.

It could end after this year, Dagg added bluntly: “Do we want this event or don’t we? It’s been an amazing run and it would be a shame to lose this. It’s been voted the No. 1 stop on the Canadian Tour and has raised $550,000 for charity over the past five years.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2021 - 12:00 PM.

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:11 PM

Pauquachin First Nation firm to buy Glen Meadows golf course

A Pauquachin First Nation company is buying the Glen Meadows Golf & Country Club on McTavish Road, the lawyer for the family marketing the 132-acre property said Friday.

The B.C. Supreme Court-approved sale means the Saanich Peninsula First Nation will own two golf course properties. It bought the 47-acre Ardmore Golf Course, also in North Saanich, early last year from the DuTemple family.

https://www.timescol...urse-1.24300045

#89 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:50 AM

"Saanich council tonight is recommending increasing fees and dissolving the club that has preferential tee times and free use of the clubhouse at Cedar Golf Course."

https://www.timescol...urse-1.24359862

#90 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:18 AM

As a occasional golfer there, this sounds good to me.

The point about Tennis, Weighlifting and Swimming as a comparison is interesting. I'm not sure if its really an apples to apples comparison or not. Either way, the course needs to be sustainable, and it's already super good value. A minor increase in fees and annual increases of 1.5% does not seem outrageous to me; it's still over 50% cheaper than the closest comparable courses.

The contractor should still offer tournament bookings so the golf club can continue their events and allow other groups to book tournaments etc. They would just have to guarantee a number of T-times booked back to back. 100 members per gender seems really low, so I'm not sure there is even enough demand for it; they don't seem to get a ton of value for the $205 initiation/$115 annual fees.

#91 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:08 PM

The membership value was combined with the annual pass (which is the bigger change being phased out entirely). I imagine those who got a screaming deal being able to play at ~$25 a round with blocks of tee times reserved for their exclusive use will be more upset.

• DavidSchell likes this

#92 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:25 AM

Golf’s Royal Beach Victoria Open (presented by the Times Colonist, the best damn daily in Victoria) is back to its regular time slot at Uplands June 2-5.

https://www.timescol...ted-fun-5385568

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 04:09 AM

Gorge Vale will host the centenary of the women’s golf Huntting Cup on Monday. The tournament is an annual competition between the Lower Mainland’s Sweeny Cup-winning players and South Vancouver Island’s Harris-Erickson competition winners.

William Foster Huntting donated the Huntting Cup to be awarded to the winner between the South Island and Lower Mainland teams, composed of six players each, from the four founding clubs Jericho, Shaughnessy Heights, Colwood, and Victoria golf clubs. Shaughnessy Heights hosted the first competition in 1922.

The Centennial event will have a ceremonial tee-off with hickory sticks and feather golf balls at 10:30 a.m. Monday. Mike Riste from the B.C. Golf Museum will be on hand with historical clubs from the museum.

https://www.timescol...ge-vale-5667789

#94 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 03:28 AM

As Nick Taylor's 72-foot eagle putt dropped to win the RBC Canadian Open a who's who of Canadian golf charged the green with bottles of champagne to spray him.

Mike Weir, Corey Conners, Adam Hadwin, and Golf Canada officials ran toward Taylor to celebrate as thousands of fans surrounding the hole came unglued in the pouring rain.

After a 69-year drought a Canadian had finally won the men's national golf championship.

"To break that curse, if you want to call it that is … I'm pretty speechless," said an emotional Taylor. "I don't think it's going to sink in for quite some time what happened today."

https://www.timescol...drought-7129407

• lanforod and Wayne like this

#95 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 06:52 AM

As Nick Taylor's 72-foot eagle putt dropped to win the RBC Canadian Open a who's who of Canadian golf charged the green with bottles of champagne to spray him.

Mike Weir, Corey Conners, Adam Hadwin, and Golf Canada officials ran toward Taylor to celebrate as thousands of fans surrounding the hole came unglued in the pouring rain.

After a 69-year drought a Canadian had finally won the men's national golf championship.

"To break that curse, if you want to call it that is … I'm pretty speechless," said an emotional Taylor. "I don't think it's going to sink in for quite some time what happened today."

https://www.timescol...drought-7129407

That is pretty cool! Good to see.

#96 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 June 2023 - 07:56 AM

I'm still laughing at security tackling Adam Hadwin for that.

#97 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 07:59 AM

Ya, nobody was hurt. They laughed it off pretty quickly. There is some great video of the tackle though.
  • lanforod likes this

#98 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 07:48 PM

I wished at least one camera was focussed on Fleetwood, I would love to have seen the look on his face when the putt dropped.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:04 PM

So what's the deal with purchasing a single-day pass for the Royal Beach tournament? How do you specify the date of the single-day pass you want to purchase?

#100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:08 PM

Maybe you don’t. It’s not like it’s sold out on any given day. Buy a day pass. They scan it the day you arrive, and it’s not valid after that day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2023 - 12:09 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users