Photo

The Churchill | Victoria | Bedford Regency Hotel | Government Street at Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hey Jay, what about having some bottles of "regular" beer available? I'm not always in the mood for local beers and it was tough pickings at the bar the other night. I had to settle for Dos Equis (eww).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hey Jay, what about having some bottles of "regular" beer available? I'm not always in the mood for local beers and it was tough pickings at the bar the other night. I had to settle for Dos Equis (eww).

Can't you just ask for a basic lager? Can you seriously tell the difference enough between standard lagers?

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

For sure.

But I also I like my crappy beers. Canadian, Blue, Bud, Pilsner, Pacific Pilsner, MGD, Pabst, Kokannee.

I have to say that this local beer frenzy, while great, shouldn't come at the cost of regular staples simply being unavailable at a bar.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm not always in the mood for local beers...

Individually I can comprehend the meaning of each word, but when strung together in that sequence I just can't seem to make sense of them... :confused:

• Holden West and ZGsta like this

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Oh c'mon you beer hipsters, give it a rest already  :cheers:

Know it all.

#46 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

No, the people who fancy themselves hipsters go for "downmarket" PBR. Just order Lighthouse Lager or Islander Lager or something. If you really want crappy beer, go to a crappy bar. Seems simple.

• ZGsta, Matt R. and thundergun like this

#47 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

It's like a vegan going to a steakhouse.

Matt.
  • pontcanna likes this

#48 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

There are macro beers that are still good. Strictly imho of course there's Hoegaarden, Pilsner Urquell & anything by Fuller's. Just recently I've been reading about schwarzbiers & it turns out that Kostritzer & Kulmbacher are still supposed to be the best ones out there (haven't tried either btw) even though they're owned by big corporations. I don't what could work here & what Garrick's head does is up to them but I think even though they're factory beers they still seem to be made with 'craft' in mind.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 22 July 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• pontcanna likes this

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Since when did Victorians become so pretentious over beer? Christ almighty.

I hate to break it to you guys but 90% of all beer sales ...in Victoria... are not of the crafty kind.

Know it all.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

They have Urquell at Churchill, I drank it the other night. Great Pilsner. I would say most of the beers there were not local Mike.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Also I think you are wrong on those numbers. I believe that it is about 60 percent of the big brand stuff and 40 percent of craft/local but that was a few years ago and the big stuff is still going down.

It has a whole new look!

#52 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

I hate to break it to you guys but 90% of all beer sales ...in Victoria... are not of the crafty kind.

You can drink whatever beer you prefer but don't expect every place to have what you want - that's the beauty of choice and variety. I don't go to chain restaurants and expect craft beer, just as I don't expect to find buffalo wings at Camille's.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

If you really want crappy beer, go to a crappy bar. Seems simple.

I wish!  Those are disappearing!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Also I think you are wrong on those numbers. I believe that it is about 60 percent of the big brand stuff and 40 percent of craft/local but that was a few years ago and the big stuff is still going down.

Maybe at licensed daytime joints, but of all beer consumed (bought at liquor stores and at bars/pubs/restaurants), it's still 90% big brands.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Nationwide yes that is true but in Victoria it is far different.

It has a whole new look!

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Nationwide yes that is true but in Victoria it is far different.

It's actually not that different.  As recently as 1.5 years ago I've seen the local stats, had access to them through work I did.    It's still 90% big brands overall.   92% of retail stores, 45% in pubs/restaurants and 95% in nightclubs.

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

They have Urquell at Churchill, I drank it the other night. Great Pilsner. I would say most of the beers there were not local Mike.

Urquell is a Molson brand so does it count as a domestic big brand?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#58 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Urquell is a Molson brand so does it count as a domestic big brand?

its actually a Mark Anthony brand.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#59 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm just trying something new and trying not to sell the usual stuff i already sell in the Garrick's

we do have red stripe. LOL

sleeman original draught on tap, as well as some mild pilsners.

things could change over time, ill keep ya updated.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Ok sounds good.

I didn't know Pilsner Urquell was in the house otherwise I'd have had that.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users