• LocationSaanich

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Well nuts. I was thinking of getting a steer burger. Lol

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

The Longhorn was where Berwick House now stands. It had an interesting ceiling of laminated beams. When the property was purchased, the building was to be relocated, but in the end only the beams were saved and the purchaser of the building used them when he built his new house in Metchosin.

#43 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

Maybe because The Duke is the subject of  a "Vibrant Victoria" feature article/advertisement? Nah.

Didn't you recently point out about another establishment that just recently opened that numbers in the first few weeks don't really count (or something similar to that)?  So why so positive about this place and not the other, that both had early good reception?

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

Maybe because The Duke is the subject of  a "Vibrant Victoria" feature article/advertisement? Nah.

I don't think so.  But I've been to both places, and I'm not a fan of the first one.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'd say Duke is now the best club in the city (yeah, they say they're not a club, but it is what it is).

After it's been open for like 10 seconds? Are they paying you guys or something?

• Nparker likes this

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Are they paying you guys or something?

I don't think so.  They did buy me one beer on Friday.  And Mike arrived after I'd already left, so I'm not sure if he got anything.    

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Your judgement seems to be base solely on the ratio of men to women. That's pretty sexist.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Check the place out, it's awesome. I'm sure you'll agree it's the nicest club by FAR and they've raised the bar (no pun) for nightlife venues tremendously high. Unlike VHF I didn't get any comp drinks and had to find my own women to talk to.

Not sure why you think we have to be paid to like something. I personally dislike D'arcy's (personal opinion) and Upstairs could use a better rotation of DJ's.

As for VHF disliking Drake he's entitled to his own opinion, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Your judgement seems to be base solely on the ratio of men to women. That's pretty sexist.

Actually, you thinking so is ridiculously funny, but ok :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

I've never mentioned that or commented on that in this thread.  My judgement comes from going to the place when it was open to the public.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

I made the comment that where women flock men will follow, and I guess that is a sexist comment according to lanforod. Otherwise I'm not sure what it relates to.

But heck yes, where womem flock men will follow -- obviously. Is it sexist now to attract women to a venue? Are nail salons sexist because they attract a 99% female clientele? Jeepers...

Know it all.

#52 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Ok. The comment about it being the best, raised the bar etc etc. Details please? What do you mean? Good drink prices, good service, good layout and decor, good music? Quantify your statement.

#53 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Of course you can consider anything posted by the creators of VV as native marketing! Almost everything you read these days is going that way. This site is a business venture after all. So even if it's not direct it might lead to advertising revenue in the future. It's in the end a classic magazine model. To me it doesn't change the value. Especially since there is a forum for you to call em out! That equalizes things doesn't it? In the end there is value knowing there is a new club, it's open and there is a forum for you to go yourself and review it!

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

We welcome your reviews.  Right now it looks as though only Mike and I have been.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Ok. The comment about it being the best, raised the bar etc etc. Details please? What do you mean? Good drink prices, good service, good layout and decor, good music? Quantify your statement.

It's the best club aesthetically and you can tell from the moment you walk in that these guys are professionals and have pulled off a major project in a short amount of time. I respect that and give credit where credit is do.

Every other club in town (including Upstairs that is run by the same group behind Duke) is bleak and uninteresting (save for Touch which has that aquarium and various rooms that you can check out hence why I'd put it as a solid #2 in town). Duke has raised the bar. Just go check it out and come to your own conclusions.

Of course you can consider anything posted by the creators of VV as native marketing! Almost everything you read these days is going that way. This site is a business venture after all. So even if it's not direct it might lead to advertising revenue in the future. It's in the end a classic magazine model. To me it doesn't change the value. Especially since there is a forum for you to call em out! That equalizes things doesn't it? In the end there is value knowing there is a new club, it's open and there is a forum for you to go yourself and review it!

We've been around for eight years and never once have we conducted ourselves in a capacity that pits one firm over another for the sake of trying to maintain a business relationship or courting potential advertisers. If we had wanted to VV would have been plastered in ads from dozens of companies, but we have not done this. To think that this is how we operate is very cynical and undeserved.

We have relationships with the majority of business people in this city. We meet with them, we have coffee with them, we even go for beers, but they are fully aware that what is said on VV is what it is and while they may not like it most of them respect the fact that VV is a place for discourse and not a place for branding products or pushing corporate slogans. And believe me, we've been approached by a whole slew of individuals unhappy with what has been said about their businesses but we remind them that they have the freedom to create an account and engage the individuals speaking about their business/project/whatever directly. Some, take us up on the offer, others maintain that we ought to moderate negative comments and that's that. Granted, if we feel that someone is out of line and making insinuations that we are unable to verify (not just stating opinions but making insinuations that could be damaging) we'll respond if we feel it is necessary. Otherwise our approach for our members is to have at it.

Hope that clears up the "business" side of the equation for you.

Know it all.

#56 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

You didn't really review it. You only rated it highly. I'd like to see a full review before committing to a long lineup and evening out etc.

#57 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

I guess I am cynical in part because of the capital city centre development. Way too much positivity there... But like i said I understand ;-)

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

You didn't really review it. You only rated it highly. I'd like to see a full review before committing to a long lineup and evening out etc.

We wrote the article before it was ever open to the public.  Then, after it opened, Mike and I went separately.  We were not there at the same time, and I did not even know Mike had been until 12 or 16 hours later.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

I guess I am cynical in part because of the capital city centre development. Way too much positivity there... But like i said I understand ;-)

As indicated in my prior post, we do not have the resources to independently verify the accusations that were being made and as such reminded the individuals posting the accusations that they need to refrain from doing so OR to post under their own name and cite their affiliations, if any, to the developer past or present and their professional capacities. Unfortunately that was too much to ask for, albeit a very simple and reasonable request, so we decided that if our request won't be respected then why should we respect their desire to have their accusations maintained on VV? It's a two way street, right?

And we won't hesitate to do that again if the situation warrants it.

Know it all.

#60 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Joel is a great operator and The Duke will be around for many years. I haven't been yet, but it is on the list for the next night out with the boys.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users