Photo

Pamela Madoff | Victoria | Councillor (incumbent)

Victoria

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Not until the well greased NDP machine is retired.

Recall that in the last election NDP-affiliated candidates were given access to the NDP's contact lists to reach voters. That's not a legit move but the machine doesn't care to play by the rules, apparently.

• John M. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

For the record, Pam Madoff is the second longest serving city councilor in the 152 year history of the city with her 20 years on council.   The only person that has served for more time is Geoff Young at 25 years

#23 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

I have troubles with Pam's anti development attitude, but one thing I do like is her sense of good design. I couldnt care less about the other councillors and their design opinions, but hers, hers is quality. Im not sure if that is because her late husband is an architect, but whatever it be, I respect it. 

• Amused likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have troubles with Pam's anti development attitude, but one thing I do like is her sense of good design. I couldnt care less about the other councillors and their design opinions, but hers, hers is quality. Im not sure if that is because her late husband is an architect, but whatever it be, I respect it. 

But then again you need to ask yourself whether the role of a councilor is to challenge the design and tastes of others.

• Nparker likes this

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

^Well, yes.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

For the record, Pam Madoff is the second longest serving city councilor in the 152 year history of the city with her 20 years on council...

Are you sure she hasn't served on Council for 152 years?

• John M. and Mixed365 like this

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

...one thing I do like is her sense of good design.

Some examples?

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

Three or four years ago, Pam Madoff had guests from Paris staying in the bed and breakfast she runs in her historic James Bay home. They’d visited Victoria 10 years earlier and let the longtime city councillor know that our city was very much a case of then and now.

As the couple were leaving and thanking her for her hospitality, Madoff recalls that they paused.

“One of them hesitated on the front steps, and she looked at me and said, ‘But what have you done to your city? You’re starting to look like everywhere else, and you used to be so special.’”

Madoff, fierce defender of an “authentic Victoria,” has told the story many times. She says there are people who want to make you feel like an apologist for saying Victoria is special, because they think that means a city doesn’t change — picket-fence and gables quaint, mired in some Kipling-meets-Churchill, don’t-spare-the-good-china past.

“I say no. Cities are always changing, but they should change based on their own DNA, not another city’s DNA.”

http://www.yammagazi...nX8t6jxMJfmpZqI

• rmpeers, Kungsberg and Brantastic like this

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:34 AM

I think that a lot of what Ms. Madoff says is actually quite intelligent but this line, which I have heard numerous times, is wrong. It makes we want to take to every new building in Victoria from the last ten years and make her tell me how it is indicatve of another city. If anything our architecture has remained extremely distinct despite the homogeneity of building elsewhere on the continent...
  • Mike K. and jonny like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:49 AM

Especially when a lot of our actual Old Town heritage is designed by, or inspired by architects in US cities or in some cases direct remakes of existing buildings down south. 

• jonny and AndrewReeve like this

#31 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

I think that a lot of what Ms. Madoff says is actually quite intelligent but this line, which I have heard numerous times, is wrong. It makes we want to take to every new building in Victoria from the last ten years and make her tell me how it is indicatve of another city. If anything our architecture has remained extremely distinct despite the homogeneity of building elsewhere on the continent...

Unfortunately, Pam is not unique in her inability to be specific about what she finds offensive about most new developments.

• AndrewReeve likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users