PROPOSED
Residences at the Empress
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Bosa Development has plans to erect an eight-storey rental building with ground floor commercial space southea... (view full profile)
Learn more about Residences at the Empress on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Residences at the Empress | Rentals | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

Fairmont had considered developing a south wing about 8-9 years ago with Westbank. The idea never went anywhere but they had planned at least as tall as the original hotel, if not taller (the newer north wing is taller than the oldest part of the hotel).

I wouldn't be surprised if the residential concept wasn't quite substantial.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:00 PM

From - http://www.cfax1070....ch-bus-terminal

"Nat Bosa says it would be a small building designed to complement the Empress... He says it would contain an estimated 60-70 suites... [Pam] Madoff thinks the zoning for the property would allow a building of up to 10 or 12 storeys."

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:40 PM

That sounds about right. It should complement the Empress Hotel, but it shouldn't resemble the Empress Hotel.

• Mixed365 likes this

#64 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

commenter brought up the belleville terminal as a new location

“We want to see [people] dropped off in the downtown core,” said Frank Bourree, board chairman of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce and a tourism consultant. “However, they don’t need a big bus depot, really. You could drop off passengers on the sidewalk downtown somewhere.”

Fairmont Empress Hotel owner Nat Bosa hopes to build a high-end residential rental property on his bus-depot property. He is also spending $30 million to upgrade the Empress and its grounds.

Losing the bus depot is not a dramatic blow, since the property could be better used, Bourree said.

But, he said, the drop-off for passengers needs to be located south of Johnson Street and as close to the harbour as possible.

*snip*

John Wilson, owner of Wilson’s Transportation Ltd., which leases space at the current depot and operates Grey Line Sightseeing double-decker buses and an airport service, favours a much smaller location downtown.

A downtown storefront for tickets and parcels, a small waiting area and curbside pickup and drop-off area for passengers are all that’s required, Wilson said, adding buses would be there for only five to 15 minutes. “It doesn’t have to be a stand-alone building.”

All three companies that use the depot — Pacific Coach, Greyhound and Wilson’s — realized that the facility was not long for this world, Wilson said.

The property is leased on a monthly basis to Greyhound Canada, which acts as Pacific Coach’s on-site agent.

http://www.timescolo...s-say-1.1616676

Edited by amor de cosmos, 22 November 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#65 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

As with all things "Victoria" when it comes do development permits...

I predict that PCL will abandon this building long before the 18 months is up and the building will sit vacant and derelict for about 5 years while the City sits on it's thumbs yet again.  

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

...I predict that PCL will abandon this building long before the 18 months is up and the building will sit vacant and derelict for about 5 years while the City sits on it's thumbs yet again.  

Oh how I wish this wasn't likely true.  :whyme:

#67 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:40 AM

Oh how I wish this wasn't likely true.  :whyme:

Looking at our current council that could be what happens. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

That sounds about right. It should complement the Empress Hotel, but it shouldn't resemble the Empress Hotel.

I'd really like to see an architectural jewel on that corner. Situated between two iconic Rattenbury structures we demand no less. I'm thinking how the Magnolia hotel enhances its location with rich attention to architectural detail. It's classic without slavishly imitating heritage. No stucco, no HardiPlank.

hotel_entrance_a.jpg

http://bccondos.net/...ia/623-courtney

• Jill, dasmo and johnk like this

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

...No stucco, no HardiPlank...

This for certain - PLEASE!

#70 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

The restaurant side of the Spaghetti Factory is only a very, very small part of their business.  The manufacturing (factory) side is where all the money is.  They probably supply 75% of Western Canada's spaghetti.

You sure about that? AFAIK they are just a chain restaurant and they probably make some of their own pasta but I don't think they are supplying anyone else.

No spaghetti I buy is made by them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#71 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

Is it just me or has this been happening a lot lately?

• Rob Randall and Jill like this

#72 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

You sure about that? AFAIK they are just a chain restaurant and they probably make some of their own pasta but I don't think they are supplying anyone else.

No spaghetti I buy is made by them.

I wonder who sold VHF that bill of goods. I call BS as well. http://en.wikipedia....aghetti_Factory

#73 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

Don't feed the troll.

Matt.

• Jill and lanforod like this

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:06 AM

Is it just me or has this been happening a lot lately?

Ya it is.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

WRINKLE  REMOVAL

IMG_6645.jpg

#76 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

The restaurant side of the Spaghetti Factory is only a very, very small part of their business.  The manufacturing (factory) side is where all the money is.  They probably supply 75% of Western Canada's spaghetti.

Todays Factory Special... old spaghetti   :confused:

IMG_6652.jpg

#77 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone know if construction will be underway on this project this summer? 

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

No plans have been submitted yet.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#79 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

No plans have been submitted yet.

Is a rezoning required... or just a development permit?

#80 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

Rather than trying to recreate The Empress I would prefer a new structure that relates to the conference centre with perhaps some details referencing The Empress. The brick box has to go, a prime corner site deserves much more.

Edited by johnk, 05 January 2016 - 05:41 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users