OK, one for Pam ...

Attached Images

• b162_eros_a.jpg

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Now why do I think that could be the design for a new Trump Tower in Brooklyn?

#24 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Anyone know if this is still the plan?  It came up in conversation today, where the rumor was SDM will be moving out of downtown entirely to relocate at Mayfair.

#25 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

It Chapters that is moving. SDM is moving into Chapters.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#26 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

It's too bad in a way.  Chapters could have had the strength to push the CoV into making downtown better.  They are the only major retailer on Douglas, besides Shoppers.  They made a huge mistake going there to begin with, much to Bolen Books delight.  I thought from the very beginning that the person who decided that was a great location was just someone in Toronto looking at a map.

Interesting way to look at it. If you had your way, is there a location downtown, or out of downtown, you would have rather had Chapters located?

#27 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

I think the Chapters move is a big mistake. You see a ton of government workers get all sorts of gifts there. It is absolutely packed in there during seasons of mass consumption. Now you have to hope those workers want to make a pit stop on the way home at the mall. No thanks. Or hope the teens in the mall want to go from Aeropostale to Chapters? Not likely. Maybe it will pay off in a decade after mass densification of the corridor. But right now it seems like moving to a shittier location.
  • Nparker and thundergun like this

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:43 PM

It came up in conversation today, where the rumor was SDM will be moving out of downtown entirely to relocate at Mayfair.

After year end there will more to move out of downtown in droves, and Mayfair is a good alternative where the parking is FREE even after the first hour.

#29 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

It Chapters that is moving. SDM is moving into Chapters.

Yeah, that had been my understanding as well.  And I see there is and article in the Victoria / Saanich News today about Chapters' move to Mayfair.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

I think the Chapters move is a big mistake. You see a ton of government workers get all sorts of gifts there. It is absolutely packed in there during seasons of mass consumption. Now you have to hope those workers want to make a pit stop on the way home at the mall. No thanks. Or hope the teens in the mall want to go from Aeropostale to Chapters? Not likely. Maybe it will pay off in a decade after mass densification of the corridor. But right now it seems like moving to a shittier location.

I don't think Bolen's has ever regretted being in a mall.

• Bingo and sdwright.vic like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

Online sales have sealed the fate of big box books stores. Chapters isn't just leaving downtown Victoria. They've already shut down their flagship store on Robson in Vancouver. The store has decline terribly over the years and is mostly filled with throw pillows and scented candles. Not a big loss when we have Munro's on Government and Russell's on Fort. 

• Coreyburger likes this

#32 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

After year end there will more to move out of downtown in droves, and Mayfair is a good alternative where the parking is FREE even after the first hour.

Downtown is dying, downtown is dying. Yawn. Wake up when you have something new

#33 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Online sales have sealed the fate of big box books stores. Chapters isn't just leaving downtown Victoria. They've already shut down their flagship store on Robson in Vancouver. The store has decline terribly over the years and is mostly filled with throw pillows and scented candles. Not a big loss when we have Munro's on Government and Russell's on Fort.

Yup I’d look at the displays at Chapters then buy the book at Russell. I bought one thing faithfully at Chapters. Xmas cards.
  • DougG likes this

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:49 PM

I don't think Bolen's has ever regretted being in a mall.

The best bookstore with free parking out one door, and the food court out the other door.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

The Downtown is far from dead. But it could be much better.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

The Downtown is far from dead. But it could be much better.

They always can be.  

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

They always can be.  

But our Mayor never aspires for that.  When the homeless issue is pointed out, she says "all cities have homeless".

• Nparker likes this

#38 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

But our Mayor never aspires for that.  When the homeless issue is pointed out, she says "all cities have homeless".

Oh I got no ideas on that.

But what will you skyscraper people do if it's Helps vs someone who wants to dial back all the development and tower cranes?  Hold your nose and vote for bike lanes?

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

^ Oh, we get what we deserve, no doubt.

#40 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

The flagship closed, but a new Indigo opened on Granville and Robson, and the large format Chapters at Granville and Broadway was renovated into an Indigo recently.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users