930 Fort Street
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 930 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: contact agent
930 Fort Street is a proposal to build a 12-storey condominium tower with ground floor retail space in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about 930 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 930 Fort Street | Condos, commercial | 12-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Juliet balconies are great for that, for sure. But I honestly think the novelty of a full-sized balcony quickly wears off for the majority of folks. They become places for storage more often than not.

• Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

I agree, unless BBQs are allowed. BBQing is awesome.

• DavidSchell likes this

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

There is nothing especially wonderful or awful about this proposal, but it's sure a shame something more significant can't be built here to make up for the atrocity that is View Towers.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

OK, design, more of a filler than the crown jewel it should be. Not as appropriate or exciting as the previous Number 10 design for this site. Aastra's right, even a juliet balcony makes a difference--makes things more livable.

• Nparker likes this

#25 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Looks to be about 12 stories ... anyone of an exact number?

#26 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

^ 12 storeys or 42.5 metres

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

The horizontal guard/barrier thingies on each unit seem to indicate that a large window will be openable right in the spot where a balcony would normally be? If so, then bravo. They shrewdly anticipated my hysterical reaction and Mike K.'s even more hysterical reaction to my reaction. Too bad their shrewd anticipation merely dampened the hysteria rather than preventing it outright.

• Rob Randall and DavidSchell like this

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Notice that even once this project is complete it's assumed that the green heritage drapery will still adorn The Wave.

post-77-0-97643500-1496267638.jpg

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

Finally, something to soften the look of the lone tree ... 

Was just going to say.....hopefully over time VT can be "boxed in" by other developments and will disappear from view, heh.

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

....hopefully over time VT can be "boxed in" by other developments and will disappear from view

Then we better hope future proposals for the area at least minimally exceed the height of VT, because 12-storey buildings sure aren't going to make it disappear.

#31 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

/\....at this point I would be satisfied if the net result was that VT merely "blended in" or that its outline was "softened", heh. Much like the old Husky Tower in Calgary which once upon a time was the dominant feature in the downtown landscape. These days when you fly into the city, especially at night, you can barely see it for the Suncor Energy and other taller towers........

#32 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

This location will be ideal for a covfefe bakery.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, jonny and 1 other like this

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

...Much like the old Husky Tower in Calgary... you can barely see it for the Suncor Energy and other taller towers....

That's the point, many of the newer buildings in Calgary are taller than the Husky Tower;

steam-rises-from-buildings-in-calgary-alta-wednesday-feb1.jpeg

1297923509298_ORIGINAL.jpg

Currently, nothing in downtown Victoria is as tall or as massive as VT; even Yates on Yates and Hudson Place will likely not disguise VT's prominence from most directions.  :(

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Yates on Yates can do without balconies but this project should have them. Fort and Yates are both busy traffic corridors but this stretch of Fort is denser, has more granularity with all the little cafes and snack places. It's more of a people-watching street and high perches like balconies are welcome. 

This is not the block for slick skyscrapers.

Edited by Rob Randall, 01 June 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

...This is not the block for slick skyscrapers.

This 12-storey proposal is a "slick skyscraper"?  :confused:

• DavidSchell likes this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Whatever, old man Randall.

Seriously, balconies are too overrated. Mine sits unused 99% of the year. The odd time I'm out there it's for a morning coffee on a Sunday. It's too often too cold, too windy, too noisy or too hot to want to be out there, so that 40' goes mostly unused.

I can see almost all of Chard's rooftop patios from my place. I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone using them.

• RoadRunner likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

...balconies are too overrated. Mine sits unused 99% of the year. The odd time I'm out there it's for a morning coffee on a Sunday. It's too often too cold, too windy, too noisy or too hot to want to be out there, so that 40' goes mostly unused.

I can see almost all of Chard's rooftop patios from my place. I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone using them.

This explains an exchange that I had with Mike K. the other day. I'll paraphrase it:

aastra: Hey, Mike. Do you have any recent pics of new developments around town?

Mike: Buildings suck. City sucks. Outside sucks. Me like couch. Stay on couch. Look at phone.

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

You got me there. It's pretty good as a vantage point for photos  :wave:

Know it all.

#39 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

This explains an exchange that I had with Mike K. the other day. I'll paraphrase it:

aastra: Hey, Mike. Do you have any recent pics of new developments around town?

Mike: Buildings suck. City sucks. Outside sucks. Me like couch. Stay on couch. Look at phone.

Couch pierogy?

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

Stick an I in for the y and I'll take it!
  • Nparker and Jackerbie like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users