930 Fort Street
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 930 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: contact agent
930 Fort Street is a proposal to build a 12-storey condominium tower with ground floor retail space in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about 930 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 930 Fort Street | Condos, commercial | 12-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#121 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

This is moving forward to a public hearing, though some councilors expressed concerns about the loss of parking and the limited number of residential parking stalls provided.

See http://www.timescolo...ring-1.23352891

#122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

I thought bike lanes were removing the need for parking? This seems like a very "election year" concern on behalf of some council members.

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

Oh, now we’re noticing parking loss, hey?

Hate to break it to council but this should have been on their radar in 2014, not June of 2018.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

Oh, now we’re noticing parking loss, hey?

Hate to break it to council but this should have been on their radar in 2014, not June of 2018.

Councilor Coleman rightly pointed out that this particular development application was the wrong forum to have a discussion on parking issues downtown...
  • jonny and RFS like this

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Councilor Coleman rightly pointed out that this particular development application was the wrong forum to have a discussion on parking issues downtown...

It's becoming more and more clear that the philosophy behind "ban the automobile in the downtown core" is not succeeding as planned - and I say this as a non-car owner/ died-in-the-wool pedestrian.

#126 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

The public hearing for the rezoning and development permit will be held at this Thursday evening’s (6:30) council meeting- August 9.

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:45 PM

I wonder what sort of NIMBY arguments will be dredged up to oppose this project?

#128 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

Did this make it on the agenda last week?

#129 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:43 PM

Did this make it on the agenda last week?

Yes, the Rezoning was given 3rd reading and the Development Permit with Variances was approved but not issued. Neither can be adopted/issued before the Housing Agreement Bylaw is adopted, which won't be before Sept 20th I believe. Helps was very frustrated by the time delay.

Edited by Jackerbie, 24 August 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

Is there something unique about the Housing Agreement Bylaw for this project?

#131 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

Is there something unique about the Housing Agreement Bylaw for this project?

From what I understand there wasn't a Housing Agreement associated with the proposal, but the applicant offered to register one after questions about affordability from Isitt.

Edited by Jackerbie, 24 August 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

It's things like this that must really frustrate the development community in their dealings with the CoV.

#133 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:35 AM

hey at least we're not Vancouver with their council asking for 8-figures in amenity contributions so developers are also burdened with playing the municipality itself if they want to build.

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:19 AM

So just to confirm, this is now a rental project and no longer a condo project? And would we deem it approved sans the housing agreement?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#135 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

So just to confirm, this is now a rental project and no longer a condo project? And would we deem it approved sans the housing agreement?

If I remember correctly it's still a condo project. I would have to look at the archived video again to see what exactly transpired, but I believe the agreement is to ensure that the strata cannot place restrictions on renting out suites.

EDIT: Yes, it's an agreement to ensure there will be no restriction on rentals. The development is approved pending adoption of the housing agreement. If CoV does things the same way as Richmond, issuance of the DP and adoption of the RZ will be done immediately after adoption of the housing agreement, at the same Council meeting.

Edited by Jackerbie, 04 September 2018 - 09:34 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

...I believe the agreement is to ensure that the strata cannot place restrictions on renting out suites.

Which is a CoV request for virtually every new condo proposal these days. I wonder why it's causing delays for this project?

#137 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

Which is a CoV request for virtually every new condo proposal these days. I wonder why it's causing delays for this project?

Staff did not request the agreement during review of the application. The applicant offered it after a question from Isitt during the Public Hearing.

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:02 AM

Gotcha. Might this project be another condo building fully purchased by investors who will then operate the building as a rental?

Know it all.

#139 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:45 AM

It's been a year and a half since this was approved. What's happening here?

#140 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:47 AM

It's been a year and a half since this was approved. What's happening here?

Building Permit is listed as "On Hold" according to Vic Map

• Brantastic likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users