Vivid at the Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 849 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Vivid at the Yates is a 20-storey, 135-unit below market condominium tower situated along the 800-block of Joh... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vivid at the Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Vivid at the Yates | Attainable condos; market commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:30 AM

Affordable housing has penthouse suites?

There are no penthouses at this oroject, but there are two-bedroom suites on upper floors along with one-bedroom suites.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#202 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

As a purchaser in the Yates, I am fairly sure that I am, in part, helping underwrite a portion of the Vivid.  Is it a model of how to address downtown housing affordability? Maybe not; but I am willing to wait and see how it plays out.  If it results in a few more young families moving into the core and making for a more diverse demographic, bravo.

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#203 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

As a purchaser in the Yates, I am fairly sure that I am, in part, helping underwrite a portion of the Vivid.  Is it a model of how to address downtown housing affordability? Maybe not; but I am willing to wait and see how it plays out.  If it results in a few more young families moving into the core and making for a more diverse demographic, bravo.

Well, that's certainly how it plays out in other projects where a developer commits to some type of scheme.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#204 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Helps has done more for Victoria’s built environment than any other mayor over the last 30+ years. I’m not sure there’s all that much criticism of her in that regard.

Everyone understands that Helps is 1 of 9 votes on city council?  its not her way or the highway and she only gets a portion of the credit overall

Also there hasn't been much of an appetite for high rise in Victoria because typically land was cheap for half of those 30 years

#205 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

15 one bedroom units are remaining.

#206 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

That’s solid. And out of 135-units.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#207 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Reading through the disclosure statement for Vivid for a client and interesting the Yates on Yates has vented dryers and Vivid they've gone with condensing dryers. I wonder how much cost is saved not having the sheet metal work?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#208 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

Well, that's certainly how it plays out in other projects where a developer commits to some type of scheme.

The problem is that the premium that is paid to subsidize 'affordable' units is not recoverable. When the units hit the market in 3 years (after the lockup expires) the prices will be the same. 

#209 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

The problem is that the premium that is paid to subsidize 'affordable' units is not recoverable. When the units hit the market in 3 years (after the lockup expires) the prices will be the same. 

Not a chance.  Yates is far, far above Vivid in almost every component and finish.  These are not comparable buildings. 

Although prices at Vivid are likely to jump up in 3 years, that is because the prices are artificially low.  Prices at Yates will  not appreciate as much as vivid (in terms of a % rise), which may appear to shorten the price gap between them.  Despite this, I have no doubt that Yates will command a far better $/sqft over Vivid.  

#210 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Not a chance.  Yates is far, far above Vivid in almost every component and finish.  These are not comparable buildings. 

Although prices at Vivid are likely to jump up in 3 years, that is because the prices are artificially low.  Prices at Yates will  not appreciate as much as vivid (in terms of a % rise), which may appear to shorten the price gap between them.  Despite this, I have no doubt that Yates will command a far better $/sqft over Vivid.  

I was referring to units in the same building.

#211 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

Surge-in-buyer-activity-propels-BC-Housing-backed-Vivid-condo-to-90-percent-sold-out.jpg

An artist's rendering of Vivid at the Yates, a 20-storey below-market condominium tower underway between the 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets in downtown Victoria. Vivid's '2016 pricing in 2018' has helped over 120 purchasers get into Victoria's red-hot real-estate market.

Home ownership dreams fulfilled: BC Housing-backed Vivid condo reaches 90% sold-out status

https://victoria.cit...old-out-status/

A downtown Victoria condominium project that gained notoriety for its obtainable homes through a BC Housing affiliation is 90% sold-out, according to Chard Development.

Vivid at the Yates, a 20-storey, 135-suite tower rising between the 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets saw a rapid uptake of its collection of one and two-bedroom homes among buyers who saw an opportunity for homeownership that couldn’t be missed.

“When we introduced Vivid and its BC Housing-backed below-market prices, the response was overwhelming,” says developer Dave Chard, who is also building Vivid’s adjacent counterpart, The Yates on Yates. “We had buyers walking through the sales centre who never imagined they could purchase a condominium on the upper levels of a downtown highrise, or even qualify for a home purchase in the city centre. But our partnership with BC Housing made it happen for them.” [Full article]

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.

#212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

July 6

Yates-on-Yates-July-6-2018a.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-July-6-2018b.jpg

Know it all.

#213 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

These photos look amazingly like the ones in the Yates on Yates thread.  ;)

• Mattjvd likes this

#214 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

The Vivid website has said that there was less than 10 units left for the last week or so, but I just noticed there is only one floorplan left. 

Is this on the verge of being completely sold out which will lock in the BC Housing financing?

#215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

Yes, it's nearly 100% sold-out. In case you missed this piece: https://victoria.cit...old-out-status/

Know it all.

#216 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Only three units left!
  • Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#217 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

One unit left. It's Unit 308 with a "wonderful" view of the BC Environmental Assesment Office/Telus building 

https://www.realtor....V8W1M2-Downtown

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:46 PM

For $307k and just a hair below 540 square feet it’s a great deal at $572 a square foot in downtown Victoria.

Know it all.

#219 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

Not disagreeing it is a good price, but just to compare there are 6 houses in Oak Bay all with full yards selling for around $550/sf

#220 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

One unit left. It's Unit 308 with a "wonderful" view of the BC Environmental Assesment Office/Telus building 

https://www.realtor....V8W1M2-Downtown

I'd buy if I had the money tbh. 

And SFHs should have lower sqft pricing than condos, diminishing marginal returns and all that. The difference between a 350 sqft and a 550 sqft unit is massive, but hardly noticeable if it's 2300 sqft vs 2500 sqft.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users