UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#61 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

So if this is a city owned parcel of land, which it is, and the City of Victoria has chosen a winning proponent and design via a rather grueling RFEI process, which they did, shouldn't any zoning and/or permitting issues be mere formalities? Would they seriously put the winning proponent through the wringer in the RFEI process, and make them go through the bureaucratic nightmare that is getting a development permit in this city? 

I don't know how CoV will do it, but CoRichmond had their consultant for the new city hall go through the rezoning and development permit processes, bureaucratic nightmare and all. It's the same thing when we secure City-owned infrastructure in private developments, such as the new community centre or the Oval.

#62 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

If this goes ahead, won't it be kind a two-for-one deal. A new Telus building by the Crystal Gardens and a redevelopment opportunity for the sad Telus building on Yates.

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

That would be a long term move, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

If this goes ahead, won't it be kind a two-for-one deal. A new Telus building by the Crystal Gardens and a redevelopment opportunity for the sad Telus building on Yates.

Probably.  Jawl worked with Telus a bit when building the Atrium.  So there likely is a good relationship.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Since the CoV still refuses to release any information about this project I thought I'd suggest the following design:

apex.jpg

It's a project from Melbourne, Australia, but I think it would be great at the Apex site. It might need a few floors removed to appease the anti-height crowd of course.
(if someone has already suggested this, pardon my ignorance)

• gstc84 likes this

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

The actual rejected proposal that we saw before was better than that.

• zoomer likes this

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

The actual rejected proposal that we saw before was better than that.

You may be right (although that's a matter of taste), but it's almost guaranteed the final design won't be anywhere as interesting as the one that was rejected. That's just the way things go in this city. See almost every "cutting edge" proposal for the past 20 years for proof.

#68 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

If Telus is indeed a partner in this, they will likely have very high architectural standards. Telus Garden in Vancouver is very boxy, but has great street presence and a high profile architect. Telus Sky in Calgary is a stunning building from Bjarke Ingels, the guy who designed Vancouver House (which is also stunning and under construction)

9210162736_9729528b4c_c.jpg

Edited by Jackerbie, 16 April 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#69 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

If Telus is indeed a partner in this, they will likely have very high architectural standards. Telus Garden in Vancouver is very boxy, but has great street presence and a high profile architect...

But the LAST thing Victoria ever wants to be is like Vancouver.  :whyme:

#70 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

the original released proposal is better then the one coming but its decent

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

the original released proposal is better then the one coming but it's decent

Sounds like you have inside info...why all the secrecy?

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

Just so all readers are on board with how things have progressed thus far, the one proposal we’ve actually seen publicly (outlined at this link: https://victoria.cit...alleged-winner/ ) was one submission out of six but it was never formally an accepted proposal.

We have not been privy to seeing what the actual chosen proposal was and how it may have changed since it was selected.

Have you seen the latest design, tiger?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

I have, Respectfully, I cant expand except to say I preferred the released proposal but the chosen one is still very unique

Edited by tiger11, 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM.

• jonny likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Very good! Thanks for that.

Would you be at all able to speak to the following: above or below 12-storeys?

Know it all.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

I don't want to be using the wrong terminology here. So we're saying the Cascadia/TenFold Projects proposal wasn't actually rejected (or otherwise not accepted)? Rather, we're saying it was never formally entered?

The way you wrote it below, it sounds like one was preferred and five others were rejected:

The City’s RFEI process was intended to yield several finalists that would subsequently be invited to submit formal Requests of Proposals or, under the City’s discretion, a single proponent could be selected as “preferable based on the City’s Evaluation Criteria.”

And it was the latter option, according to sources, that City Hall decided to pursue following the receipt of six bids.

Edited by aastra, 16 April 2018 - 04:49 PM.

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

The way you* wrote it below...

*the teams of writers that occupy the upper five levels of VV HQ.

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

If the CoV made a final decision months ago, I fail to understand their need to be so stingy on releasing details to the public.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:06 PM

I’m just clarifying that tiger’s statement regarding an “original” released proposal is not a variation of the accepted proposal, but one of six proposals submitted.

Know it all.

#79 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

If Telus is indeed a partner in this, they will likely have very high architectural standards. Telus Garden in Vancouver is very boxy, but has great street presence and a high profile architect. Telus Sky in Calgary is a stunning building from Bjarke Ingels, the guy who designed Vancouver House (which is also stunning and under construction)

9210162736_9729528b4c_c.jpg

If by stunning you mean zero connection to the pedestrian realm. The Vancouver House is better but is a true form over function in terms of fenestration utility. The high profile jobs from Foster + Partners and BIG are brutally desolate at the pedestrian scale and will only be "cool" from a helicopter flyover of the City in the next Godzilla... my .02

• Torrontes likes this

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:46 AM

So when are they going to let us know the plan now?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users