UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

... I worry that the city will have chosen a plain and non-offensive design that does not make the best use of the lot.

Ditto.

#102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

5 more months have passed and this still remains a "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma". Does anyone know why such secrecy surrounds this proposal?

#103 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Oh, calm down--it hasn't' even been ten years.

• Mattjvd likes this

#104 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:10 PM

I'd understand waiting 10 years for approval - I've learned that much from the Northern Junk saga - but hasn't a design actually been selected by the CoV, and for reasons unknown it is still being kept under wraps?

#105 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

I heard from a trusted source that shovels will be in the ground in 2-3 years. Yes, it's still a closely guarded secret as to the actual proposal.....

#106 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

I heard from a trusted source that shovels will be in the ground in 2-3 years. Yes, it's still a closely guarded secret as to the actual proposal.....

What would be the rationale for such secrecy? Political liability?

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

It’s still Telus/Jawl, I assume?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

Same principal as political memoirs which are sealed for up to 100 years so the main actors can die off to mitigate or avoid being held responsible for historic actions x or y: they're probably hoping the primary opponents of modern, tall architecture, and of <cough> radical, by Victoria standards anyway, building design - IOW the 'usual suspects', whom most VV's know and love - will move away, stop caring, be kidnapped by our alien overlords, or die off. I'm being completely facetious of course, but given this is Victoria one never can tell for sure.....

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:38 PM

I heard from a trusted source that shovels will be in the ground in 2-3 years....

That soon, huh? 

#110 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:17 PM

...be kidnapped by our alien overlords, ...

Are you simply being thorough in listing all the possibilities no matter how zany, or do you know something we don't?

#111 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

Are you simply being thorough in listing all the possibilities no matter how zany, or do you know something we don't?

I can neither confirm or deny.... :squint:

Either way the hush hush surrounding this project is intriguing. Does anyone know for certain whether an actual design, preliminary or otherwise, actually exists but is being kept under wraps? Or is that just speculation? Not sure what TELUS or the Jawls have to gain if true....

#112 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:40 PM

I can neither confirm or deny.... :squint:

Either way the hush hush surrounding this project is intriguing. Does anyone know for certain whether an actual design, preliminary or otherwise, actually exists but is being kept under wraps? Or is that just speculation? Not sure what TELUS or the Jawls have to gain if true....

Keeping the design underwraps to avoid the anti-height NIMBY outcry that would befall a modern, tall, landmark building. It'll all be approved quietly and will be far to late for anyone to stop it once it is revealed!

*said in jest, with a hint of genuine optimism*
  • AllseeingEye and grantpalin like this

#113 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,337 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:23 AM

That soon, huh? 

yes it's been fast-tracked.

#114 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

Keeping the design underwraps to avoid the anti-height NIMBY outcry that would befall a modern, tall, landmark building. It'll all be approved quietly and will be far to late for anyone to stop it once it is revealed!

*said in jest, with a hint of genuine optimism*

You would think that after the Crystal pool and firehall fiascos the Mayor would have learned that her 'secret' closed door deals wind up backfiring.

#115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:56 AM

FOCUS or somebody's gotta file a freedom of information request for some tidbit. I understand the developer's right to privacy but there must be something in the public realm we can look at.
  • Nparker likes this

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

5 more months have passed and this still remains a "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma". Does anyone know why such secrecy surrounds this proposal?

As 2019 draws to a close we seem to be no closer to any revelations regarding this site/project.

#117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

FOCUS or somebody's gotta file a freedom of information request for some tidbit. I understand the developer's right to privacy but there must be something in the public realm we can look at.

indeed.

#118 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:00 PM

As 2019 draws to a close we seem to be no closer to any revelations regarding this site/project.

Much like the firehall, you will be given an opportunity to participate in the process once the contract with the developer has been signed!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#119 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:55 PM

Much like the firehall, you will be given an opportunity to participate in the process once the contract with the developer has been signed!

:1954_dancing:    :rtfm:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 December 2019 - 01:55 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#120 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

Perhaps extra height and density for building a pool, an art gallery and a maritime museum in the lower levels? Kind of like a swiss army knife for council.

315 metres and 86 stories would be just about right, making it higher than The One in Toronto. The Sky Higher Tower.

Edited by Torrontes, 16 December 2019 - 12:30 PM.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users