UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
829 replies to this topic

#121 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

Perhaps extra height and density for building a pool, an art gallery and a maritime museum in the lower levels? Kind of like a swiss army knife for council.

315 metres and 86 stories would be just about right, making it higher than The One in Toronto. The Sky Higher Tower.

Proximity to the fault line will reduce it to 6 storeys, though

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:40 PM

It seems like there's always somebody at fault in Victoria.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:43 PM

It seems like there's always somebody at fault in Victoria.

Your on shaky ground with that statement.

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:33 AM

The City is making an announcement on this project right now, for the Telus tower.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

I look forward to seeing the details. I hope it's worth all the secrecy and waiting.

#126 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

Press release and details: https://victoria.cit...ts-telus-ocean/

Aryze Developments are partnering with Telus on this project. Jawl Properties is no longer involved.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

Ah jeez. Aryze.

#128 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:51 AM

Press release and details: https://victoria.cit...ts-telus-ocean/

Aryze Developments are partnering with Telus on this project. Jawl Properties is no longer involved.

Perhaps the Jawls knew something.

I like how the City positions this, "we sold the property for $8.1M but are going to give back $2.37M". Why not just say that they sold it for $5.7M?

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

...TELUS and Aryze are seeking to bring forward an architecturally-significant project; one that will create an opportunity for Victoria to be at the forefront of new technology and contribute to the social and entrepreneurial fabric of the city. To ensure this, the TELUS/Aryze project team is proposing to employ a multi-channel consultation approach to communications and engagement to reach a broad range of participants, including surrounding businesses, residents, potential future occupants and other key stakeholders.  It is anticipated that this community engagement process will begin in late June 2020....

https://victoria.cit...ts-telus-ocean/

Does this mean no actual design has been conceived for the site?

#130 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

Ah jeez. Aryze.

hahaha glad we have some fans in the house

#131 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

hahaha glad we have some fans in the house

Strictly personal preference on some of the designs you've gone with. I'll reserve judgement till I see this one of course

#132 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

Strictly personal preference on some of the designs you've gone with. I'll reserve judgement till I see this one of course

Can you at least consider/respect that we are trying to break from the atypical Victoria grain? If not, no worries, we can find common ground on beer or pizza or something

• Nparker and RFS like this

#133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:12 AM

This shape of this site alone offers the potential for something atypical. I rather hope the final design really challenges the status quo and doesn't try too hard to blend in, or be too traditional.

#134 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:16 AM

This shape of this site alone offers the potential for something atypical. I rather hope the final design really challenges the status quo and doesn't try too hard to blend in, or be too traditional.

But not too nontraditional either.  Please not a giant brown/grey box

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

I'll be satisfied as long as there is no attempt to mimic either the Empress Hotel or the Crystal Garden in the design.

#136 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

Aryze does good modern work but they don't have much of a track record in big urban projects.

Key for them will be integrating a higher-quality grade of materials, especially close to the ground. And paying close attention to the public realm, the area around the building. Details like street furniture, art, landscaping etc. 

• Nparker likes this

#137 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:11 PM

Aryze does good modern work but they don't have much of a track record in big urban projects.

Key for them will be integrating a higher-quality grade of materials, especially close to the ground. And paying close attention to the public realm, the area around the building. Details like street furniture, art, landscaping etc. 

Great points and in due course, I think all of the comments above will be satisfied :)

Aryze is an aggregate of individuals and collectively, we have worked on projects at this scale so there is strong comfort on the team.

#138 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

Wow! Big news switching from Jawl Properties to Aryze. Did not see that coming. 

Regardless, exciting times for this site. I'm sure Aryze will come up with something thoughtful and great. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

I’m sure it will be fine. how badly could you screw it up? name any high profile downtown building that’s a disaster. it’s hard to fail.

#140 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

I’m sure it will be fine. how badly could you screw it up? name any high profile downtown building that’s a disaster. it’s hard to fail.

How about centennial square and the attached buildings. Pretty awful

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users