Soccer (football) World Cup 2018

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

Are the groups chosen randomly or is there a system at play?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

There is a system, but it's random within that.  4 pots is the key.

http://www.fifa.com/...ks-2921565.html

You can watch the video (45 minutes) of the draw when it was live here > >   https://www.facebook...19923158023521/

Pot #1, with the 7 top world teams plus host Russia are emptied into the 8 groups.   1 in each group.  Then they do the same with pot #2.  After that I'm not sure it matters all that much.   So there is no way to have any of the top 7 world teams in any of the same groups.

Russia just got lucky in that after it was placed in its group, the teams added to its group from each of the pots after were towards the bottom.

The "group of death" thing is a little dramatic, as it's really often referred to as such in that the "popular" or widely-followed, or large countries might end up in one group.  Not really a bunch of top-ranked ones.  If you ended up with Germany, Brazil and England in one group, that would certainly be called a group of death, even if England was ranked #17 and Germany #12. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 December 2017 - 08:08 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Got it. Thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

Similarly, Poland is in the top pot #1 this year.  It might not be seriously considered a "death' team if it got in one group with, say, Germany and England.  But Spain would, even though it's from pot #2.

(For this argument, I'm discarding the fact that Germany is in pot #1 this year, so the above matchups are not even possible - I'm just using a hypothetical year).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 December 2017 - 08:13 AM.

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

For the second time in a week, President Trump on Monday urged other countries to support the North American bid to host the 2026 World Cup and again implied there might be consequences for those who did not. The comments, made during a news conference in the Rose Garden, raised new questions about whether Mr. Trump’s input constitutes political interference in the bidding process, which could jeopardize the joint bid by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

https://www.nytimes....ld-cup-bid.html

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

The comments, made during a news conference in the Rose Garden, raised new questions about whether Mr. Trump’s input constitutes political interference in the bidding process, which could jeopardize the joint bid by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

It's FIFA for gosh sakes!  No more corrupt organization has never been known (right ahead of IOC).  NYT need not get themselves in a knot!  I think his boosterism is great!

(Four sentences, three exclamation points)

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 May 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• LJ and tedward like this

#27 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

It's FIFA for gosh sakes!  No more corrupt organization has never been known (right ahead of IOC).  NYT need not get themselves in a knot!  I think his boosterism is great!

(Four sentences, three exclamation points)

Interesting trivia point. You know who brought the roof down on the FIFA scandal? The FBI based on information provided to them by a certain Christopher Steele.

/true fact

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

Interesting trivia point. You know who brought the roof down on the FIFA scandal? The FBI based on information provided to them by a certain Christopher Steele.

/true fact

Oh ya, it was comical that the US brought down FIFA. And not Euro regulations.

#29 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

Trying to figure what channels the world cup is going to be shown on to make sure I get it...anyone have any ideas?

#30 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

Trying to figure what channels the world cup is going to be shown on to make sure I get it...anyone have any ideas?

TSN and CTV are broadcasting the World Cup:  https://www.tsn.ca/f...edule-1.1095011

• rjag and tedward like this

#31 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Fearless Prediction Dept.
Canada will not qualify (got to get past Honduras, you know).
England will not win.

#32 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

^ Two for two!

#33 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:19 PM

Why are we talking about soccer and not the infinitely more interesting golden knights/caps game that starts in 40 minutes?

#34 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:19 AM

Canada to co-host (along with USA and Mexico) the 2026 World Cup...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...d-cup-1.4703826

(Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton)

• tedward likes this

#35 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

I'm just going to put this out there, but keep in mind that 2026 is two election cycles away. Two federal elections between now and then, two provincial, two municipal. That's a lot of opportunity for change.

Major event bids never end up looking they way they are submitted. Chatting with some folks in the know in Vancouver recently, it sounds very much like that city is not totally dead just yet. All it will take is a shift in priorities (which likely means a shift in provincial government) in one of those election cycles. I think this event will be a big conversation topic in the 2021 Provincial Election cycle, with the BC Liberals almost assuredly backing it 100%.

#36 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

^ I hope not, unless FIFA dramatically changes their demands. 

#37 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

^ I hope not, unless FIFA dramatically changes their demands.

Like most other things, bribes have to reflect inflation rates too.
  • Mike K. likes this

#38 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

In case there is any any doubt as to my allegiance I'll simply say this.... deutschland uber alles.!

Its Die Mannschaft vs Mexico at 8am PST - awesome: I get to see my favorite footie team and still have the bulk of a great sunny day ahead of me and I don't have to get up at some silly time in the middle of the night.....win-win-win.

Attached Images

• DieM.png

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

Iceland tied Argentina in a big upset. 

Just so you know, the population of Iceland is slightly less than the population of the Capital Regional District.

Canadians suck at soccer.

• jonny likes this

#40 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

Iceland tied Argentina in a big upset. 

Just so you know, the population of Iceland is slightly less than the population of the Capital Regional District.

Canadians suck at soccer.

Wrong. Canadian prioritize other sports over soccer. Our best male team sport athletes become hockey players. Personally, I prefer that.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users