UNDER CONSTRUCTION
735 Hillside Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 735 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
735 Hillside Avenue is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial complex along ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 735 Hillside Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

The Scott Building | 2659 Douglas Street & 735 Hillside Avenue | Rentals, office | 6 & 3-storeys

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

I’m not a project costing expert but if they have to seismically upgrade the old building I’m not sure they get enough return here.

If you asked people today where they’d love to live, Douglas, Hillside, Gorge and Government would not be high on many lists. It does not have the appeal of the old Hudson Bay conversion.

Well, given the tight rental market you might see some interest, especially if the rentals are priced competitively.  The location is excellent from both a road and transit perspective (you can easily catch a bus to most to the west shore, downtown, or Saanich peninsula from here, and one can quickly drive over the Bay Street Bridge from this location to reach employers in Vic West and Esquimalt), and it's a short walking distance away from the shopping plaza at Hillside/Blanshard that is home to Boston Pizza, Tim Horton's, etc. 

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

I still think Douglas around Hillside and Bay has the potential to be a really cool neighbourhood if the right redevelopments and preservations happen. For this property I'd rather see a junior highrise building on the parking lot than a lowrise.

• Nparker likes this

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

^

It's a shame the proposal for the new rental building isn't taller. 10-12 floors would help encourage the density this area needs to make it really come alive.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Over time it might even have the feel of a great Parisian plaza if the overall form and massing of the Scott building replaces existing stuff on the corners like the Petrocan and sushi restaurant.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

• Nparker likes this

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

...For this property I'd rather see a junior highrise building on the parking lot than a lowrise.

Nparker, on 29 Nov 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

It's a shame the proposal for the new rental building isn't taller. 10-12 floors would help encourage the density this area needs to make it really come alive.

Great minds think alike...and fools seldom differ.  ;)

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

Over time it might even have the feel of a great Parisian plaza if the overall form and massing of the Scott building replaces existing stuff on the corners like the Petrocan and sushi restaurant.

And the traffic circle is re-established to replace all those lights. Maybe with a beautiful fountain in the middle of it. Let's think big time here.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

A circle would have to be too big now.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

^I guess it depends if you're talking about a very structured roundabout like McTavish or a crazy, free-for-all, Mario Kart roundabout like in Paris.

• Matt R. likes this

#49 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

^I guess it depends if you're talking about a very structured roundabout like McTavish or a crazy, free-for-all, Mario Kart roundabout like in Paris.

Why not a magic roundabout like in the UK?

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

A circle would have to be too big now.

Even 2 lanes of continuously flowing traffic here would be faster than all the traffic lights.

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

Why not a magic roundabout like in the UK?

What makes it magical?

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

My head hurts just reading this.

https://en.wikipedia...about_(Swindon)

#53 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

Thank you for the heads-up, Kapten!

It would appear that the 91-units of residences will be more or less split between the two buildings.

Scott Building transformation and adjacent parking lot redevelopment to yield over 90 rental units

https://victoria.cit...0-rental-units/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

My head hurts just reading this.

https://en.wikipedia...about_(Swindon)

A calendar is produced each year by the UK Roundabout Appreciation Society depicting the town's finest examples.

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

This all nicely ties in to my recent post on upgrading Gorge Road from here.

https://www.sidewalk...n-urban-village

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

I know a quartet of older folks who became bamboozled by a complex UK roundabout heading out from Heathrow. After several failed attempts at navigating it they ended up pulling over to a nearby hotel to spend the night and regroup.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

...who became bamboozled by a complex UK roundabout heading out from Heathrow.

Methinks the only thing worse than a complex roundabout is a complex roundabout that's moving. I hope it wasn't also rotating while it was moving.

#58 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:34 AM

The developer has filed a rezoning application with the ciy to proceed with this project.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#59 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

Documents aren't up yet, but there is now a DP with Variances application live on the Tracker: https://tender.victo...Number=DPV00123

#60 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

Documents aren't up yet, but there is now a DP with Variances application live on the Tracker: https://tender.victo...Number=DPV00123

I suppose they will still require the rezoning as well ...?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users