[Murder] Northern BC incidents; Port Alberni men charged | July 2019

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#41 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

Nothing like a good man hunt to stir up conjecture.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#42 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

^ why can you only see the above photos if you sign in don’t even know how that can happen?

i think he just looks a bit like a person of interest in a composite in the dead couple case.  a person seen talking to the couple when they were broken down.

texan:   https://globalnews.c...ly-in-manitoba/

texan and bc person-of-interest composite:

screenshot-www.google.com-2019.07.23-17_57_46.png

Happening to at least Victoria Watcher too 

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

sex between the boys and the dead couple seems unlikely just because of their bodies location.  also because 18 and 19-year-olds don't normally hang with 23/24 couples.

I was guessing the old man made a pass at the boys but now I see the foreign couple were killed first so that makes less sense. 

Seems to me BC's teen killer pairs (Heunemann, Proctor) consist of a psychopathic little shrimp leader and his big moron follower(s).

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

Media is now posting some background on the duo.

...There are very few posts visible on the young men’s social media accounts, but among them is a photo of a 18-year-old Schmegelsky holding an alcohol bottle. A photo posted to Schmegelsky's Facebook page in 2015 reads "guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets." McLeod’s Facebook account does not reveal much about him as it has very few photographs, but does have one of a cartoon skull. New comments left on an Instagram account appearing to belong to McLeod reference that he is being hunted by police, with one person commenting “clock’s ticking bud.”...

http://www.iheartrad...elsky-1.9515998

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

my theory is that they are in dead older man's car and using or trying to use dead couple's debit/credit.  that's why they are being tracked somewhat closely now.  i predict they will be caught by the end of tomorrow.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#46 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

also they might be in possession of dead peoples' cellphones and they might be pinging information.  as could their own phones.  apps could also provide that kind of detail for the suspects' phones as well as the dead people.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 05:11 PM.

#47 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:26 PM

another burned-out car:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...deese-1.5221657

Later in the day, Manitoba RCMP said in a tweet they had "reason to believe" McLeod and Schmegelsky were recently in the Gillam area, in the northeast of the province.

A burnt-out car was found near the reserve of Bird, not far from Gillam, on Tuesday, prompting a statement from Chief of the Fox Lake Cree Nation Walter Spence.

"We cannot confirm this was directly connected to the individuals wanted by RCMP. I have spoken with the RCMP. An all night patrol for the community has been prepared as a caution," Spence said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

It could have been the victim's own hunting rifle used against him, rather than the boys' illegally-obtained handgun.

I don’t think that’ll be the case.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:44 AM

manhunt across the north:

Thursday, July 11th: 

• KM and BS's red/grey Dodge pickup with a camper attached to the back was seen travelling southfrom the Super A general store in Dease Lake, BC at roughly 3:15pm
  • BS's grandmother stated that the pair was planning to leave Port Alberni, BC on Friday, July 12th to travel to Whitehorse, Yukon to find work (Note from me: typical route would be to take ferry to Prince Rupert, BC and then travel north on Highway 37 through Dease Lake, BC, so this doesn't match with the previous observation of KM and BS travelling South).

Friday, July 12th: 

• BS's father receives final message from BS stating that BS and KM were heading to Alberta and might be uncontactable; assumed they were heading to Reed Deer Alberta where BS's cousin's live

Saturday, July 13th: 

• LF and CD leave Hudson's Hope, BC (where LF had been working at a ranch) for a planned 3 week Alaskan Road trip; couple met in Croatia in 2017 and had extensively traveled abroad together
  • CD texted her mother that morning, to let her know they were packing up their blue Chevy camper van and hitting the road
  • Surveillance video exists showing LF and CD stopping at a gas station in Fort Nelson, B.C between 7:30 and 7:47 pm
  • BS's grandmother states BS last in touch with her on July 13th or 14th to state that they had arrived in Whitehorse but it was not what they had expected, they were going to travel elsewhere but weren't sure what their plans were (Note from me: I don't know how reliable BS's grandmother's information is; she also stated that KM and BS had left Port Alberni on Friday, July 12th but this doesn't mesh with their vehicle being definitively seen in Dease Lake on Thursday, July 11th, so take this for what it's worth...)

Sunday, July 14th: 

• LF and CD's van breaks down along Alaska Highway (Canadian Highway 97) about 20 km south of Liard Hot Springs, BC - several locals stopped to ask if they needed help, but the pair appeared to have the situation under control, were not in distress, and were having a picnic as they waited for their van's engine to unflood.
  • Two witnesses (married couple) offered assistance to LF and CD just before 330 pm and were told that the vehicle was flooded out and that LF and CD were going to try to get it going again until they could get the parts they needed. Husband felt that LF's explanation of what was wrong with the vehicle indicated that he was very competent to fix the problem and so he was not worried when they refused assistance.
  • One witness (a road worker) stated that when she passed the van, the couple was in an intense conversation with a bearded man who had gotten out of a gray car and was standing in the middle of the highway looking frustrated as LF and CD stood beside their van (time of this encounter not documented - some sources state this witness saw the couple "that night")

Monday, July 15th 

• A road worker discovers bodies of LF and CD with gunshot wounds in a ditch on roadside of Alaska Highway (Hwy 97) in Northwest BC beside a blue Chevy Van; RCMP believe they were killed sometime between July 14th and July 15th
  • Per this witness, LF had no shoes on and CD had only one shoe on
  • Per CD's mother and brother, being kept in dark regarding exact details of the deaths, but have been lead to believe they were killed in a brutal fashion to the point where an open casket funeral would not be possible
  • Road worker who found the bodies states "I don't know how anybody could live with themselves after doing what I saw"
  • LF and CD's blue Chevy van had a smashed rear window (not smashed on video surveillance from July 13th), towed to an RCMP lot (CD's mother stated that most of their belongings were left at the site)

Friday, July 19th: 

• Victims publicly identified as LF (23, Australian) and CD (24, American)
  • Red/grey Dodge pickup found burning along Highway 37 south of the Stitkine River Bridge (50 km south of Dease Lake, BC, 500 km west of Liard River, BC)
  • KM (19, Canadian from Port Alberni) and BS (18, Canadian from Port Alberni) identified as owners of burnt out pickup truck - formally declared missing and search launched; believed to have been travelling to Whitehorse, Yukon in search of work
  • Third body (still identified) found in Highway 37 pullout about 2 km away from the flaming truck ; cause of death not yet released

Monday, July 22nd: 

• RCMP release composite sketch of the man who was found dead 2 km away from the burning truck - described as white and in his 50's or 60's with a heavy build and grey hair, between 5'8" and 5'10" tall
  • RCMP release composite sketch of the man last seen speaking with LF and CD on the evening of Sunday, July 14th - described as Caucasian with darker skin and dark hair, shorter than LF (who is 6'3" - note that both KM and BS are 6'4"), with a possible beard and/or glasses, may be associated to an older model Jeep Cherokee with a black stripe on the hood and a black light/bull bar with small covered lights; believed to have been travelling Southbound.

Tuesday, July 23rd: 

• RCMP held press conference, stating KM and BS are no longer considered missing persons but are considered suspects in murder of LF, CD and unidentified third man
  • KM and BS considered dangerous; if seen, do not approach, call 911
  • KM and BS last known to be last in "Northern Saskatchewan" in a Grey 2011 Toyota Rav4 (not indicated when)
  • RCMP updated in afternoon post press conference stating last known location is Gillam, Manitoba (not indicated when)

https://www.websleut....461109/page-16

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 03:53 AM

#51 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

A couple more dots to connect.

A woman working at a gas station near Gillam, MB, said the pair purchased gas on Monday.

A burned-out vehicle was discovered on Fox Lake Cree territory, near Gillam, shortly after Manitoba RCMP warned the public that the pair had been seen in northern Manitoba. RCMP have not confirmed whether the vehicle is the RAV4 the pair were seen driving, or if it related to the case at all.

via https://www.citynews...hree-bc-deaths/

#52 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

But says he's likely now the most hated dad in the country.

Hardly.  I think most people understand that a) no one truly knows another's heart and b) the closer you are to someone the less likely you are to see flags due to bias (positivity or association) or denial.

How many articles have you read where someone does or is accused of something terrible and their family says, "Oh yeah, they're bad news.  I knew they would do something like this one day."?   It's rare.

So I have nothing bad to think about this father even if his son is the killer he is now suspected to be.

#53 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

Hardly the most hated dad in the country probably not even on the island. Don’t beat yourself up . Your son is an adult, making adult decisions.
I can think of another Dad if found guilty takes the prize at this time .
Unfortunately others will step up to the plate .
My thoughts turn to another little guy and his mom too murdered not so long ago.
What has to happen in someone’s brain that makes them feel it’s a good idea to
murder someone. I’ve never had that thought even just pass though my brain .
  • Mike K. likes this

#54 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

A couple more dots to connect.

A woman working at a gas station near Gillam, MB, said the pair purchased gas on Monday.

A burned-out vehicle was discovered on Fox Lake Cree territory, near Gillam, shortly after Manitoba RCMP warned the public that the pair had been seen in northern Manitoba. RCMP have not confirmed whether the vehicle is the RAV4 the pair were seen driving, or if it related to the case at all.

via https://www.citynews...hree-bc-deaths/

RCMP have now confirmed that the vehicle found near Gillam matches the description of the RAV4

• Mike K. likes this

#55 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

I have nothing but empathy for the families of these boys at this time .
It must be excruciatingly difficult to live in a small island town where everyone knows you as the parents of the murder suspects.

#56 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:47 PM

https://torontosun.c...24-40e1019bd0dc

“He’s on a suicide mission. He wants his pain to end,” he said, breaking down into tears.

“Basically, he’s going to be dead today or tomorrow. I know that. Rest in peace, Bryer. I love you. I’m so sorry all this had to happen.”

Even if his son is caught, his life will be over, the father said.

“He wants his hurt to end. They’re going to go out in a blaze of glory. Trust me on this. That’s what they’re going to do.”

The father recalled that his son bought a nice black suit with his second paycheque from Walmart.

“Now I realize it’s his funeral suit.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 July 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#57 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

Some of this I understand a father saying.
What is the dad not saying tho .
What does he know

Edited by Love the rock, 24 July 2019 - 02:10 PM.

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

the father of the other suspect:

https://www.vicnews....g-about-my-son/

#59 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

On Wednesday, Hempstead said Schmegelsky would allegedly describe violent acts to her and her friends.

“There were times he would tell me and my friends ways he wanted to kill us and then himself, which is scary,” she said. “One of my friends commented that Bryer said he wanted to kill his whole family.”

One interaction Hempstead described was particularly gruesome.

“[Schmegelsky] would say things about how he would cut our heads off and then he would take a gun and put it in his mouth and shoot himself in front of us. Pretty detailed stuff,” she said.

https://globalnews.c...pect-classmate/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 July 2019 - 04:17 PM.

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:07 PM

Two B.C. men who are the subject of a national manhunt have been charged with one count of second degree murder in the death of a Vancouver man in Northern B.C.

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, have been charged with second degree murder in the death of Leonard Dyck.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...urder-1.5224306

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 July 2019 - 05:10 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users