PROPOSED
Capital VI
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1221 Blanshard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Capital VI is a proposal to build a ten-storey office and retail complex on the site of the Capital Six Theatr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital VI on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Capital VI - 1221 Blanshard Street (Capital Six) | Offices and retail | 10-storeys

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

Here's a first look at Jawl's plans for Blanshard Street between Yates and View.  The project will have 10 storeys of office and retail (and possibly the YMCA) accommodating up to 600 workers in the office segment:

jawl1.png

jawl2.png

• Nparker, grantpalin, Jackerbie and 5 others like this

#2 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:49 AM

That looks fantastic.

• Kapten Kapsell and DavidSchell like this

#3 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

Here's a first look at Jawl's plans for Blanshard Street between Yates and View. The project will have 10 storeys of office and retail (and possibly the YMCA) accommodating up to 600 workers in the office segment:

jawl1.png
jawl2.png

I love this. The exposed V shaped support reminds me of Telus Gardens.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:20 PM

Something tells me the residents of Yello aren't going to be too excited about this.

#5 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:26 PM

Something tells me the residents of Yello aren't going to be too excited about this.

I remember the residents of the Wave weren't thrilled when the Yello was built ...

• DavidSchell likes this

#6 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:12 PM

That looks fantastic

Second That!

#7 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:15 PM

Oh yeah?

Edited by punk cannonballer, 22 June 2021 - 01:15 PM.

#8 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:20 PM

Good work, Kapten!

The project will be comprised of 152,000 square feet of offices, which for Victoria is a lot. Total square footage will be just a hair below 170,000 square feet. 144 vehicles will be accommodate in an underground parkade reaching down three-storeys. Jawl purchase the property in 2015.

600-worker office tower proposed for Capital Six Theatre site in downtown Victoria

https://victoria.cit...ntown-victoria/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:13 PM

The office block on top is slick, really like the clean lines and having it appear to hover over the podium.

The three storey podium could use some tweaking. It would be nice if the second storey was also black to at least give the illusion of a double-height ground floor. As it is currently it looks to me like two heavy blocks compressing the ground floor. It needs some space to breathe!

• Mike K., Rob Randall and grantpalin like this

#10 Vin

Vin
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:22 PM

Wow: looking good! It would be nice if the podium contain two-level retail: something that hasn't been designed since the old days.

• Mike K., Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#11 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:46 PM

I’d also like to see two storey retail and a taller ground floor in a perfect world. The podium is a little boring and it would cool if the upper office portion jutted out about 2-3 metres over Yates street. Very good overall, and the best part is that this will be a very easy move for Telus…
  • Nparker, Victoria Watcher and Vin like this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:51 PM

Whoooooooooooaaaaa…

Them’s fightin’ words!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:55 PM

How about using some of the likely unrentable office space as a multiplex theatre?

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,301 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:59 PM

As much as you might question the need for office space we know that this developer is not proposing this if he doesn’t have most or all tenants lined up.

you could call these landlords ultra conservative that way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2021 - 01:59 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:02 PM

While I agree that the Jawls likely know what they are doing in regards to local office space, I feel a more dynamic, publicly accessible podium would work well here.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:04 PM

As much as you might question the need for office space we know that this developer is not proposing this if he doesn’t have most or all tenants lined up.

you could call these landlords ultra conservative that way.

That’s likely the case. We haven’t really seen spec plays from Jawl, other than in limited circumstances.

What we do know, is 750 Pandora is over capacity. There might be a tenant switch with 1515 Douglas and 1221 Blanshard to make more room for BCI next to 750 Pandora.

Know it all.

#17 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:27 PM

That’s likely the case. We haven’t really seen spec plays from Jawl, other than in limited circumstances.

What we do know, is 750 Pandora is over capacity. There might be a tenant switch with 1515 Douglas and 1221 Blanshard to make more room for BCI next to 750 Pandora.

I could be totally off base here, but I imagine BC Pension Corp could be eying 1221 Blanshard as a way to consolidate in a single location.  in 2018, BC Pension was able to consolidate (somewhat) in the Selkirk waterfront, but they are still in at least 2 (possibly 3) buildings over there, and their main building (known as the "Gatehouse") is about 20 years old now and in need of a refresh...

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:48 PM

Do you know how many square feet they are taking up at Selkirk Waterfront?

Know it all.

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:10 PM

They have Gatehouse building, two floors of 2940 Jutland, one floor of 2950 Jutland (reception and conference rooms). They may still have some additional space elsewhere in Selkirk, and I think headcount is 400-450.
  • Mike K. likes this

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:25 PM

They have Gatehouse building, two floors of 2940 Jutland, one floor of 2950 Jutland (reception and conference rooms). They may still have some additional space elsewhere in Selkirk, and I think headcount is 400-450.

Assuming they're all squares and they all have two feet, about 800-900 square feet

Fun fact: due to how averages work, the average person has an above average number of feet

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users