PROPOSED
1030 Fort Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1030 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1030 Fort Street is a proposal to redevelop a single-storey commercial building along the 1000-block of Fort S... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1030 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1030 Fort Street | Rentals; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

One of those two old Tudor buildings is actually art deco, I would prefer if it reverted back. The other one is great and the one across the street (bikes, shoes) is even better. 

It was Alex Ronay's life effort to turn 1000 Fort into a Tudor village, it's my life goal to keep only the best tudor and make everything else unique, fun, funky and distinct.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:23 AM

Back in the London phase of Victoria’s existential crisis I can see how that made sense. But now that we’re onto Amsterdam or whatever the cool kids on Twitter want to look like today, the Tudor stuff should probably disappear (save for one or two examples [please]).
  • DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 09:50 AM

... the Tudor stuff should probably disappear (save for one or two examples [please]).

I am not sure why kitschy, mock-Tudor facades need to be preserved. I'd much rather see superior examples of contemporary facades along this block (I agree with Rob's "funky" aesthetic) than some half-baked reference to a period that ended nearly 200 years before Europeans ever set foot in this part of the world.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 10:03 AM

Who's the architect on this one again?

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 10:04 AM

Cascadia.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 12:59 PM

Oh, OK. Their office used to be in the Mosaic building so they know the neighbourhood. Some firms have out-of-town offices and sometimes I doubt they've even set foot in Victoria but this one is good.

• Mike K. likes this

#27 Vin

Vin
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:50 PM

I am not sure why kitschy, mock-Tudor facades need to be preserved. I'd much rather see superior examples of contemporary facades along this block (I agree with Rob's "funky" aesthetic) than some half-baked reference to a period that ended nearly 200 years before Europeans ever set foot in this part of the world.

If it's a tudor, it's a tudor. There is no such thing as a mock-tudor. You are a person, not a mock-person just because you resemble a person from 100 years ago.

If what you think is logical, then everything in Victoria is a "mock" and deserves to be torn down, including the Empress and the BC Legislature. Might as well nuke the entire Old Town and replace with all your cookie cutter comtemporaries.

Edited by Vin, 16 August 2021 - 12:53 PM.

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,782 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:53 PM

slap down

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:04 PM

I guess it's time for me to give another architecture lesson.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:08 PM

I was going to say, copying something loosely for pedestrian visual appeal does not make it that which it is copying, just like some aspects of Tudor architecture copying elements of even older styles don’t make them that style or even satisfy their use of that style as anything more than a borrowing or semblance of it.

I hope that makes sense.

Know it all.

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

^It's not even that complicated.

In art, if a style comes around again it's given a new name to differentiate it from the original. 

The 1926 Christ Church Cathedral on Quadra is Gothic Revival.

Come to think of it, 1926 was long after Gothic Revival went out of style so maybe our church is Neo-Gothic Revival? Some think that Merrick's design of the Sussex Building and Shoal Point are Gothic-inspired so is it Neo-Gothic Revival Revival?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

If it's a tudor, it's a tudor. There is no such thing as a mock-tudor...

The Tudor period occurred between 1485 and 1603 in England and Wales and includes the Elizabethan period during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I until 1603. I am almost certain the Fort Street shops portraying this style are not quite that old. If they are, then by all means preserve them.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:28 PM

^It's not even that complicated.

In art, if a style comes around again it's given a new name to differentiate it from the original.

The 1926 Christ Church Cathedral on Quadra is Gothic Revival.

Come to think of it, 1926 was long after Gothic Revival went out of style so maybe our church is Neo-Gothic Revival? Some think that Merrick's design of the Sussex Building and Shoal Point are Gothic-inspired so is it Neo-Gothic Revival Revival?

Ok so the 5-year-old scribble version of what I said is putting a Ferrari kit on your Fiero doesn’t make the Fiero a Ferrari.

Know it all.

#34 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:31 PM

hey now.

A few of us had more than one fiero. It was a decent car. And daring from GM.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2021 - 01:32 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:37 PM

Part of the confusion is us using the term "mock Tudor". That phrase is mostly used in England so people don't mistake it for genuine Tudor buildings from the 1500s. The term we should be using here is "Tudor Revival" since there isn't any Tudor-era buildings in North America. 

There are some great Tudor Revival buildings in Victoria, however, the term "Tudorbethan" was coined to describe second-rate buildings where someone cheaply nailed some black boards on in order to make it look vaguely from the era. See: https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

#36 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,782 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:40 PM

there is an odd shaped apartment building circa 1988 on the northwest corner of bay and quadra that’s all Tudor. It never hurt anyone.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2021 - 01:40 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#37 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:45 PM

If it's a tudor, it's a tudor. There is no such thing as a mock-tudor. You are a person, not a mock-person just because you resemble a person from 100 years ago.

If what you think is logical, then everything in Victoria is a "mock" and deserves to be torn down, including the Empress and the BC Legislature. Might as well nuke the entire Old Town and replace with all your cookie cutter comtemporaries.

I've got a Picasso replica for sale if you're interested.

• Nparker likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:49 PM

Are they ‘really’ Tudor Revival? Are the interiors Tudor Revival? Are all elements of the facade authentically Tudor Revival?

Or is the Tudor on Fort Street actually a Ferrari kit on a Fiero?

Know it all.

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:07 PM

^Which one? The bike and shoe stores are really good, I like it. Tudor influenced by the Arts and Crafts style.

https://victoriaheri...n/Fort1023.html

https://archives.vic...5-fort-street-2

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 August 2021 - 02:09 PM.

#40 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:28 PM

I'm as density bro as they come but I do find myself struggling with this one. Jawl's are exceptional developers, Cascadia are talented designers...but I love these buildings haha! I find their scale, detail, and materiality border on cartoonish but overall these things work together for a fantastic composition of human friendly retail design. The redevelopment will alter that forever and that's part of what makes a city...a city. it's unrealistic that they will remain like this forever but I think its still ok to mourn their "loss".

• Mike K., mbjj and yellow_baron like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users