[Downtown Victoria] Prices Alarm office | 6-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

Last year an office proposal surfaced at about five or six floors with first-floor retail or civic uses on the north corner of Quadra and Broughton streets (currently Prices Alarm).

In light of our office shortage this proposal may very well be on the radar once again.

Anyone have more info on this?

The new MCP entry is [url=http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/resources/mcp/0046.htm:3e5aa]here[/url:3e5aa].

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

I think an office building without residential would be a mistake on that block.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

I hope that project has died. I am not so much against the office but more the lack of real commercial space along the bottom. Instead it was going to be a daycare.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Does this mean that they are also redeveloping their current Fort St. retail and offices or that they are tearing down their warehouse at Broughton and Quadra?

This proposal first surfaced in 2006 and conceptualized the first-floor dedicated to civic or retail uses. This proposal would replace the Prices Alarm offices currently on site.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

I forgot about this. I had to Google it:

Minutes:

854 - 856 Broughton Street

The Development Permit application is to construct a
five-storey office building at the northwest corner of the Broughton/Quadra
intersection. The new building is located across Broughton Street from the YM-
YWCA building (on the south) and across Quadra Street from Pioneer Square
(on the east). The proposed building includes Class ‘A’ office space with retail
and community space (day care) on the ground floor. Underground parking is
provided with access from Broughton Street on the western edge of the site.

[...]

The value of the project is estimated at $6 million. The daycare will be operated by the
YM/YWCA who will pay only the operating costs for a period of seven years.
The applicant is requesting an increase in density from 2.0 to 2.6:1 in accordance
with the bonus density provisions in the Cathedral Hill Precinct Plan. Variances are
required to reduce the required parking by 15 spaces.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

That's in Fairfield.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thankfully it falls under the Cathedral precinct with its own planning guidelines.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

6 million seems cheap...

It has a whole new look!

#10 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm failing to see the problem with a daycare on the first floor of some A class office space, in that location... across from the Y. It's not a retail area now. It's a nice spot for a daycare facility, near a park, near Island Blue for arts supplies...

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:36 AM

But think how nice it could asa retial area and it is directly connected to one of the best retail areas in the city.

Its moot point as this project is not going through. I mean it passed public hearing a year ago and nothing has happened.

It has a whole new look!

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

The Y has been looking for more space for their daycare facility, so across the road would be perfect. I suppose it doesn't need to be precious ground level, where retail could be.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

The Y is looking for new digs altogether. Either their current space will be redeveloped and they'll set up shop in the same location or they'll move. One of the many condo proposals in the downtown area should consider wooing the Y over (say, didn't Radius try something to that effect along with a daycare?).

Know it all.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

Here's an old photo.

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Geo-technical drilling on site today.

A sign of things to come?

• Nparker likes this

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

I think I'd prefer to see 7 or 8 stories of residential here.

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

The kids of the initially proposed day care centre here would be ready for high school by now. That's your 4:20 stoner thought of the day.

Anyway, here is an old photo of the site, looking east to Pioneer Square.

c-06118_141.jpg

• Jill likes this

#18 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

Do we have any idea who owns this site?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

Unless something happened recently, I think it is still owned by Prices. I know they want to develop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users