BUILT
The Sawyer Block
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 840 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
The Sawyer Block is a six-storey purpose-built rental complex with nearly 900 square feet of ground floor comm... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Sawyer Block on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Sawyer (formerly The George) | Rentals; commercial space | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#21 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

Funny how some banners and plants can suddenly make it look "uptown" or maybe its "small town". In any case, I like it.

(Why do I expect Goldie Hawn to be coming out of the building.....?)
Pieta VanDyke

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

Would this be the first ever building built from (more or less) scratch that does not have any parking?

#23 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

Modern condo building, you mean?

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Modern condo building, you mean?

Ya. There have been some heritage conversions etc. that have no parking, there was no excavation.

And I suppose there is little excavation here either, but you are building an awful lot of it from scratch.

I can't think of any new condo that has zero parking. The micro-condo zoning around downtown is .6 stalls per suite, I believe, like the Metropolitan.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

I would say most of oldtown was built with no parking.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

I would say most of oldtown was built with no parking.

I said NEW CONDO. Name a residential building built since 1970 that has no parking. This will be the first in 40 years, at least.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

City condo rezoning tabled

Times Colonist
November 6, 2009

http://www.timescolo...1285/story.html

A proposal to rezone a property in the 800-block of Fort Street to allow a mix of retail and 28 small loft condominiums has been tabled by Victoria's planning committee.

Committee members said they wanted more information about the project's proposed density and proximity to adjacent properties before recommending it go to public hearing.

[...]

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

Craziness this is a perfect fit for Fort Street.

#29 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

*shakes head* unbelievable

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

I'm channeling the hapless Iago of Disney's Aladdin. His motto: "Why am I not surprised?"

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 ryleyb

ryleyb
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

I feel like I'm missing something - why wouldn't the committee be given information about proximity and density already? Isn't that pretty basic info?

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'm told the developers declared alternate option is (less, 10 was mentioned) larger suites with parking.

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

This goes before the Planning Committee again on Thursday morning.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

Land Use Committee passed it through this morning. Next, full Council will look at it, then Advisory Design Panel, then Public Hearing early in the new year.

The architect pulled the building further away from the nearest condo tower; a few centimetres short of the minimum guidelines but the City let it pass. Density is slightly less, with 24 suites (eight one-bedroom and the rest studios).

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:24 AM

You mean farther away from the Chelsea? How tall is the proposal now?

#36 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

There is no site downtown where a 5 story building wouldn't fit perfectly in a zero setback format. What is wrong with victoria? This isn't a rhetorical question, I actually do wonder what is wrong with the city where a building like this isn't simply rubber-stamped through the process within a month.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

The Daily Colonist
Tuesday, May 3, 1910

DELAY IN WIDENING OF FORT STREET
---
Council to Ask Property Owners
to State Amount of Their Claims
to Compensation--Returnable
in Six Weeks
---

The main item of damage for which compensation will have to be made lies in the cutting off of a portion of certain substantial buildings and as to the claims which may be made in respect of this work.

The portion of Fort described is between Douglas and Cook. I believe the Sawyer was a victim of this widening as the architects claim: the fact that the pillars are so close to the front of the existing building instead of being toward the centre and the basement that extends under the current sidewalk.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

The Daily Colonist
Tuesday, May 3, 1910

DELAY IN WIDENING OF FORT STREET
---
Council to Ask Property Owners
to State Amount of Their Claims
to Compensation--Returnable
in Six Weeks
---

The portion of Fort described is between Douglas and Cook. I believe the Sawyer was a victim of this widening as the architects claim: the fact that the pillars are so close to the front of the existing building instead of being toward the centre and the basement that extends under the current sidewalk.

What were they putting in in 1910? Bike lanes? Traffic calming measures? "Green" sidewalks? "Sustainable" sewers?

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

I'll bet it was a tram line.

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Probably tram lines and the fact that Fort was becoming a primary artery to east Victoria and Oak Bay.

(Current site of the Robbins Parking building)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users