Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Centro condos | 54.4m | 19- & 14-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#141 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

Canadians aren't overweight... we're just under-tall. :)

#142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Canadians aren't overweight... we're just under-tall.

Just like the buildings in Victoria!

#143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

REMINDER: a public meeting for the Centro project will be held tonight, Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 7 p.m. at the Silver Threads Centre, 1728 Douglas (between Herald & Fisgard, across from The Hudson).

The proponent and architect will present.

This is the official public meeting hosted by the DRA. The feedback from the meeting will be used in a report to City Hall.

With thanks to Rob Randall, DRA for the original message.

#144 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

Minor change in venue: the meeting will be two doors down from 1728, in Silver Threads corner office at 1740 Douglas at Fisgard (same building).

The taller tower is now on the north side of the lot, not like shown on the previous page.

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

We send two dozen sleuths to the meeting and nary a report?

#146 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

Ya, I,m on the edge of my seat - I thought we would get a report last night - checked the paper on line this morning but did not notice a notice. Now no one wants to see a major project build on this most important sight more than me - but - I am finding I just am not getting excited due to the turn around in the Bay Parking lot (when are we going to hear moreon that) the stalled Radius (gawd I hope that gets back on track) Gateway (will it actually happen) - - Well my suggestion to city hall is just before they rubber stamp some form of developement from Townline - please ask - if they actually plan to build it or not!

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

Too horrible to speak of? Or maybe too good to be true?

#148 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Shortly I will be posting photos of both versions (19 on Pandora and 19 on Cormorant) this afternoon. It looks much better than previous renderings suggest. Some Councillors prefer the height on Cormorant because it is further from the City Hall tower.

I also have new pictures of Mt. St. Angela and a Juliet update.

#149 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

God bless the DRA.

#150 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

>>>Some Councillors prefer the height on Cormorant because it is further from the City Hall tower<<<

Whatever that means - - I think we should build all the buildings underground - and cover them over with broom - it would please all the "people" from England - help with "old world charm" and insure the view from the other side of the street.

#151 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

I think some of the councillors were worried that this height was too close to the 90 m exclusion zone surrounding the clock tower and so wanted it even further than the 90 m.

Kind of makes you wonder why they would set a guideline though if they are actually going to enforce it past this amount.

#152 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

Rough massing models:

19 storey tower on Cormorant (footprint of towers is same in both versions). Looking toward City Hall:

This time looking toward Blanshard. Corazon is on the left:

Blanshard St. looking toward City Hall. Denby Place condos are on the right.

View from Centennial Square:

For comparison, this model represents the possible massing of the original office zoning envisaged a few years ago:

Here is the version Townline would prefer: putting the taller 19 storey tower on Pandora:

Same but from Blanshard (Denby on the right):

#153 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

What I didn't show was the models showing the possible Douglas St. future construction (CIBC, Royal Bank and City Hall News sites). Those models joined up with the north podium in either a U-shape or cut straight through creating an east-west walkway pointing at the City Hall tower.

#154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

I actually prefer the taller tower on Cormorant (as a contrast to the heights of the Corazon and Denby Place). But since this is a Townline development, I expect many a "switcheroo" on the design before the buildings get completed -- assuming they actually do get completed. I still have my doubts about the Hudson.

When does this one go to public rezoning at City Hall?

#155 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'm not digging the 'plaza' in the middle. If this was an office development than maybe this plaza could be at least sometimes used as a place for smoke breaks and getting lunch and such, but a public courtyard like that is going to be absolutely dead space.

Do we know anything about it? Will there be a sort of shopping plaza in there or will it just be "open space" for the sake of it? Why not use it as sort of 'back yards' for the townhouses? Or maybe front yards for another row?

#156 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

There are planned commercial spaces on both sides of the plaza under the residential buildings and also they are working with the owners of the office next door to refurbish that current plaza. Apparently the city has said that the current plaza must remain in perpetuity. The architect is hoping that some of the current unused frontage in that plaza could be converted to commercial. Of course they have no control over this.

Also there is a plan to have the Cormorant Street Townhouses have rear private yards in the plaza you just can't see it in those pics.

We must also keep in mind that it is only the Pandora building that is going to be built initially and that the other side will remain a surface parking lot until the market conditions allow the second phase to proceed.

#157 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Apparently the city has said that the current plaza must remain in perpetuity.

If true, that's absolutely stupid. It's a horror. A useless, horrible pit, the likes of which curse the downtowns of cities all over this continent because misguided people thought they would somehow make the cold, unfriendly city seem more warm and inviting. Who knew those silly pits would end up being some of the worst culprits re: transforming downtowns into cold, uninviting places? Well, we all know it now, so get rid of the damn thing!

Anyway, we have to assume that crappy little office block will be replaced eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later), so what will happen then? Will the new building be required to have a brand new useless, horrible pit behind it?

#158 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

^ Yes.

#159 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

Well, that's a relief. It'll make the area seem more warm and inviting.

#160 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

^ an open plaza, yes, but not a sunken one (which it is now). If the Rotherham (?) Bldg were re-done, its plaza would be at grade.

It could be useful -- maybe as a Saturday farmers market? Or how about an open air winter skating rink (it's already sunken)? Or put in a springy dance platform and have dance parties (no ridiculous levels of amplification, though!) -- the list goes on... :-)

Back to Centro: the models look better than some of the renderings suggested.

I'm not too happy about the way the 19-storey bldg's east end meets the street/ plaza, though (those pillars, with the building overhanging to create a covered area).

If there's retail / coffee shops at the eastern corners (SE for the Cormorant bldg and NE for the Pandora bldg, that would draw people in from Cormorant & Pandora, and would definitely help animate the plaza area between the two Centro bldgs.

If the idea of creating a street level view cone from Rotherham through to City Hall's front door were ever to happen (let's say the buildings fronting on Douglas were bought & redeveloped to allow this), that would be great. IMO it could trigger a whole new rethink on Centennial Square, since it would create a public (or semi public) space from which the front of City Hall again becomes the focal point. One of the problems with the current layout of Centennial Sq. is that it looks at the side of City Hall -- how boring, how stupid, how pointless. Oh, and it looks at the rather ugly addition, but even there it fails to look at its front door (or side door -- the breezeway thing).

So in some ways, Centro might be an opportunity (esp'y if the Douglas frontage ever became available) to think about City Hall and Centennial Square in a new light?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users