Condo Commercial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#241 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

Well I think that was unlikely here anyways. This always comes up but seriously can anyone name one place it has actually occurred.

#242 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think that if council upzones something based on an outstanding proposal, the upzoning should only apply to that proposal. Should the proposal be withdrawn, the upzoning should be withdrawn.

#243 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think that if council upzones something based on an outstanding proposal, the upzoning should only apply to that proposal. Should the proposal be withdrawn, the upzoning should be withdrawn.

Well, I guess that's why that have put the two (rezoning application and development permit) together again for their return to council.

#244 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Does anyone have any updates on this project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#245 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I saw a whole bunch of test drilling trucks on site the other day.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

What are the latest stats for the project. Would you know?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#247 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

DTZ Barnicke is offering the site for sale at a price of $4.5 million. They suggest bundling it with the metal shop site and the old bottle depot site which would be a hell of a large site for downtown.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Safe to say this project is now canceled, then?

Know it all.

#249 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

^Yes, but I would hope that a new owner sees the appeal of the original design we all liked so much. Actually, it's version 2 that was superior, with the round portholes in the townhouse units:

http://vibrantvictor...p?t=2348&page=4

#250 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think this was a great design, and I'd love to see it built somewhere downtown. A better location for a building like this is on the bottle depot site, not directly next to the crack tower.

I don't think anything will ever be on this site as long as that monstrosity is next door.

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I wonder how much negative impact View Towers had on this project. I can't imagine many would want to pay for a $300k unit facing VT and its colourful mosaic of tenants.

Know it all.

#252 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I wonder how much negative impact View Towers had on this project. I can't imagine many would want to pay for a $300k unit facing VT and its colourful mosaic of tenants.

I would think it would have a huge impact. I certainly wouldn't want to buy a home on the same block as that place. In fact, it's surprising to me that a developer would even propose to build something right next door to view tower.

This one never made sense. It looked like a decent enough design, but what a crappy location. This should be built on the mccalls parking lot.

#253 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

I think that the more people that live around it the less anyone will / notice that it is even there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#254 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Admin note: posts through 4:11 PM Dec 17th moved from this thread.

^ You mean the proposal that would have made the wall formed by View Towers even wider?    Same proposal where the Bottle Depot used to be would have been fine.  Jamming another 15 story building right up against View Towers was a bad idea in my opinion.

I think you'll need a better example of community obtuseness than that one.

The tower along View was not up against View Towers there was an alley in between the two buildings and it was a very cool looking building which was also a plus and it was shorter than View Towers so it would have had a height differential as well.

Are you saying that the fact that View Towers exists means you can't build another building over 10 storeys on either vacant adjoining lot?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#255 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

^ Yes.  I think lining tall buildings up next to each other with only minimal spacing is bad urban form.  Fine in 100 years when our population density has tripled. 

Edited by jklymak, 17 December 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#256 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

^ You mean the proposal that would have made the wall formed by View Towers even wider?    Same proposal where the Bottle Depot used to be would have been fine.  Jamming another 15 story building right up against View Towers was a bad idea in my opinion.

I think you'll need a better example of community obtuseness than that one.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood, but how else do you build something along the same street and have it not create a wall, whatever the definition of wall may be in this context?

Did Victoria really dodge a bullet here? Imagine if this bad idea had come to fruition. Would Fort Street have gone down the gutter and the "wall" of towers along View Street would have been forever changed for the worse?

fortview1.jpg

^ Yes.  I think lining tall buildings up next to each other with only minimal spacing is bad urban form.  Fine in 100 years when our population density has tripled.

This was just too good for 21st century Victoria?

Know it all.

#257 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

No, it was too dense for 21st century Victoria.  I don't object to the design: as I already said, this would have been great on the corner of Fort/View and Vancouver.  

As for what you can build at this site?  Four or five storey infill would be appropriate in my opinion.  

#258 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

^ Two relatively remote towers in close proximity to one another can and do work well together. Promontory/Bayview 1, Orchard House / Roberts House, the two dark brick towers by the arena and the two beautiful pink and green buildings on Yates/View come to mind.  

#259 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

The death of that Lunds parking lot site was such a tragedy for the area.  It was a fantastic design,  it would have hidden view towers from the west yet I don't think at all that it was too close, there was quite a wide gap between the two buildings.  It was also one of the only city-demanded mid-block walkways that made sense as it linked up to the stairs to London drugs and as a direct path to the liquor store.   

I'd say the worst thing about all the retail on fort are the homeless people in nearly every doorway after 5.  I live right in the area and that whole stretch is just something you walk through to get downtown, rather than a destination.  The buildings have a sort of quaint charm if you like that faux-tudor stuff but like said, a lot of them are clearly on their last legs.  I'd love to see them all replaced with 5-6 story urban buildings at a real proper density (4:1 or higher)  Keep the dense number of small storefronts but loose the silly cheap fake heritage stuff and add some residential and office above. 

I think the tower would have provided a good jump-start to the area.  I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing more for-lease signs in storefronts and more FOR SALE signs on buildings along that chunk of fort in the future.  Gotta preserve the View tower green space and the big surface parking lots!

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#260 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

^ I agree that most of the properties on Fort from Quadra to Cook (and View and Yates) are ripe for redevelopment.  

The Lund’s parking lot proposal was pretty damn good. Harris Green needs about a dozen buildings like that.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users