• 4,317 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

as a reminder to what the old design looked like

quite the change!

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Are the balconies on the tower as solid as they appear to be? They look like solid concrete. I suppose that's a nitpick, seeing as how there's so much glass just about everywhere else on the tower. Anyway, other than that, the south side of this tower would seem to be near perfect. It's a very cool modern design.

The shorter building has been improved greatly over the earlier version we saw on here. I'm not so sure about the pillars along Fort Street, but otherwise I'd say it's a near masterpiece...if only they weren't obliged to have those blank faces on the east side.

Question: will the orange vertical "wing" on the tower and the blank exterior walls on the shorter building simply be painted or wil they be clad in something more high end? I suppose the former would be fine, but I'm thinking the latter would be awesome.

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

I also think we should applaud these folks for the top few floors. This building doesn't just end because a height-restriction laser cut it off at some point. There's some real imagination and attention to detail in the design of those upper floors.

So are we all comfortable with the proximity to View Towers?

If this one doesn't happen, it will easily top the Mozart proposal as the coolest thing never built in Victoria.

#84 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Wow, that would be a really substantial building!

I kind of like it. I wonder if it would come off as really busy in real life?

It would sure be a nice kick in the pants for View St if that went in.

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

It would also draw attention away from View Towers. I agree this building is pure brilliance especially the top part of the tower but that said I also really like the Fort Street building.

Why does this kind of building work on this lot but we can't do a similar massing on the Yates Street proposal with tall on Yates and small on View?

#86 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

^ I think that would make a lot of sense from a massing point of view, at least in light of the mistakes already made on that block.

#87 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

The best thing about it is that it's like the Mozaic. For years to come you wouldn't be able to put your finger on what era it was built. It's like it's timeless.

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Because you are all so good I will give you...a fly-thru movie of the new Centro design.

OK I am being REALLY good. Can I see the above as (maybe) promised?

#89 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

The best thing about it is that it's like the Mozaic. For years to come you wouldn't be able to put your finger on what era it was built. It's like it's timeless.

The message we gave to the architects was "funkify it". View Towers isn't going anywhere but we felt the need to blow it out of the water visually. The new design fits great with the old and new Antique Row architecture that defines Harris Green.

BTW, if you haven't seen the new improved View/Vancouver intersection yet, check it out. The improvements go all the way to the entrance to View Towers. New boulevard and new trees make a huge difference on this block.

#90 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

I like. Maybe add some racing stripes to the blank east facade though.

#91 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

BTW, if you haven't seen the new improved View/Vancouver intersection yet, check it out. The improvements go all the way to the entrance to View Towers. New boulevard and new trees make a huge difference on this block.

I've been meaning to take some pics of the street. I've got some before shots. I'd like to do a comparison. I think it looks great!

#92 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

wasn't that blank wall going to be green? And yeah I really like this too. Once this is built no one will even notice View Towers. It is like the opposite of what they do elsewhere in the city, putting dull buildings next to older signature buildings so that they just blend in and fade away... well here we have a signature building next to a dull building...

#93 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

On the negative side, this has to be one of those rare instances in which shadowing (of View Street) is actually an issue.

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

But that shadow will be over the back of London drugs, so it won't bother anyone...

#95 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

^ I think thats true. Its not shading the street that is the problem in my mind, its putting two towers in very close proximity. The proximity to View Towers may be a bit of a drag, but otoh, I think that the east side of VT is mostly a blank wall. And this design curves away from it, so I think the massing is good.

#96 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Question: will the orange vertical "wing" on the tower and the blank exterior walls on the shorter building simply be painted or wil they be clad in something more high end? I suppose the former would be fine, but I'm thinking the latter would be awesome.

all the orange bits are intended to be a composite wood panel....its a real wood veneer in a resin panel.

http://www.prodema.c...gles/Index.html

thanks for all the great comments...i was wondering when it would finally appear here.

#97 trueviking

trueviking
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

before someone says the s2000 is driving the wrong way down that street....i know.

#98 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

before someone says the s2000 is driving the wrong way down that street....i know.

wow, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even notice that! Awesome job TV, finally a building besides a David Chard that's worth getting excited about! Rob said it best when he said funkify... A solid project, made fun and exciting. Fort street does have a quirky nature, this will add to it.

Now if we can only get that View/Vancouver street project rolling again...

I mentioned previously the latter project reminds me of Shoal Point. Seriously folks, how cool would it be to have Shoal Point right downtown!? With more retail on the ground floor of course.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

Zoomer, you mean you aren't/weren't excited about Aria, the Falls, or Radius?

#100 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

/\ Excited about the fact they are being built - yes, and that it will add to the physical density and number of people living downtown. I can't say I'm overly excited about their actual design, however. Yes, I think all three you mentioned are high quality, but I'm not certain they would be in my top ten list so to speak. The Falls may yet be depending on the final appearance, materials used, street presence, and how visible that waterfall will really be. etc. Perhaps it's just my preference for buildings which make a bolder statement, yet have an overall simplicity in design. Then again, I'm an admirer of Shoal Point!

I may yet be a big fan of the Falls and Radius, but I find I'm always going out of my way to look at the progress on Juliet and not so much on the others (where progress is being made!).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users