Cityzen Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 613 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Cityzen Residences is a six-storey, 32 unit condo with ground floor commercial space on Herald Street near Gov... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cityzen Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Cityzen Residences (613 Herald Street) | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Excavation

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#21 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

Then set back the door and not the windows. Seems that is the common practice in old town.

I totally agree with you.

Actually, in looking at the rendering again, it looks like they set back that red door on the right hand side (looks like a service entrance). Then it looks like they come out from that setback to property with the storefront. However, when you follow that storefront along the building to the left hand side, it looks setback again, kinda like one of those Escher drawings.

Either way, I would imagine it in everyone's best interest to bring the storefront out to propoerty and just set back the entrances.

And I would imagine that if it is concrete on the main floor, it will be painted. Those upper 'frames' look like steel.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

Any chance the Chung Wah Mansion(s) could be persuaded to change their colour-scheme to fit with this new proposal? That peach colour is unpleasant at the best of times, but against the red of this project it is downright nauseating.:o

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:16 AM

I like the red. A splash of colour for this project is essential.

#24 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

Franc told me he would love the opportunity to revamp the ground floor of Chung-Wah mansions. There is little sidewalk interaction there now.

G-Man, the Kabuki strata owners would not likely install and maintain an expensive green wall that they could not see or enjoy.

It would be interesting to see the Kabuki building introduce a light well (it's probably too small for a courtyard) that would line up with their neighbour and create a slightly larger space.

#25 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

I park my car in the Kabuki Kab lot. When I pulled in this morning, the Canadian Linen truck was parked across the street, in the exact spot as it appears in the reflection. :o

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

That's as spooky as the George W. Bush/Barney image that appears in the View Fort tower rendering.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

I'm not liking the design of this one.

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

That is vague. I think it is a great change from everything else around here. But I am always interested to know why?

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

I'm not sure. I'm trying to find the words.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

I'm trying to decide if the exterior grid/recessed balconies are innovative or merely derivative of old Chinatown architecture. I don't necessarily think the glass block is 80s. As the OBB building shows, it can be a very classy yet contemporary material in the right hands. As it is wedges between two very different and larger buildings, this could be a little jewel, especially with those red accents. I'm liking it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

I'm with Aastra - I think it looks like the set for Hollywood Squares. Maybe its the extended front braces for the balconies? The uneven roof height? The vertical and horizontal beams being the same? I'm not sure. However, I think it will look dated in 15 years. It'd still be great to get something similar built.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

^^Maybe a row of glass blocks for the soul purpose of lighting behind. But those large, pointless rectangles are out of place and dated looking.

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

Perhaps there are showers behind them or toilets?

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

A solid piece of smoked glass instead, if that's the case.

#35 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

perhaps we could make buying the mansions a coat of paint somehow part of the developers' "amenity package"
Oh and I love the recessed balconies, even if they are derivative.

#36 Old School

Old School
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

As the famous modern architect Mies Van de Rohe once said "God is in the details". Very true for most things and Modern architecture especially!

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Preliminary design:

Latest design changes:

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Hmmmm not sure about these latest changes. The decks look too chunky now... and is that red corrugated metal I see? Nevertheless, these changes seem to have made that young lady in the lower left corner get out of her car and smile.

#39 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:04 AM

I kind of liked the new decks, but I was assuming that was some kind of close-spaced wood slats. If it is corrugated metal, then it'll look pretty ugly.

#40 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:04 AM

I like the red accent around floors 2 and 3. That really makes it look neat. Hopefully the balconies look good - I also assumed those were wood slats, which could look fine in the final execution.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users